Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Distracted Driver on Autopilot Slams into Firetruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ap2 consistently detects untracked stopped vehicles under 45mph. It even does 50mph plus but not consistently.

I wouldn't rely on it but I've not had issues below 50mph since 2018.10.4.

In some conditions, AP2 can detect formerly non-tracked vehicles that are stopped, but you're relying on the system doing it with the camera only -- the radar cannot detect stopped vehicles under this condition.

Any other conditions that make the camera's view less-than-ideal, like fog, direct sun, abnormal vehicle shapes/profiles mean that even the camera won't detect them.

You're asking for trouble if you come upon stopped vehicles on TACC and wait for it to recognize the vehicles and reduce speed.

Reactions: David29
Ap2 consistently detects untracked stopped vehicles under 45mph. It even does 50mph plus but not consistently.

I wouldn't rely on it but I've not had issues below 50mph since 2018.10.4.
I was going to post the same thing. This is exactly my experience. Firmware Version 2018.10.4 was a huge improvement in this area. But this car was going 60mph which might the issue. Also, I would love to know which Firmware Version this car was on if it was using AP.

Reactions: croman
Perhaps this will provide incentive for Tesla to expedite the entire fleet getting the latest relevant firmware without the delays currently experienced.

If I’m an owner 4 or more releases back (let’s say 10.x versus 18.2), and an accident occurs that could have been mitigated by having the later version...

You don’t even have to live in California to know that that’s a lawsuit waiting to happen.

In other news, to this day (with 18.2), you cannot 100% of the time expect the car to slow down when approaching stopped traffic. Most of the time, perhaps. But juuuuuuust when you think they’ve got the problem solved, up jumps that pesky radar/camera thing.

Same with transiting intersections with AS engaged. Some intersections, no problem. Others? Heh. Car heads for the center median like a magnet - and at others it will lurch arbitrarily.

Ever vigilant, folks. Let’s all try to stay out of the media spotlight unless it’s to show off our chariots at car shows and such.

Not that we’re all under the microscope or anything...

Feel no pressure.

Really.

I've driven numerous times in stop-and-go highway traffic using TACC with AP1, and I've never encountered a situation in which a stopped vehicle in my lane was not recognized. I do keep the Follow Distance set to 3 or 4 car lengths, never less than that. If anything, TACC seems overly cautious with vehicles ahead of me, even those only partially in my lane.

Then you have been extraordinarily fortunate. There are a number of posts here and in other forums in which people have had experiences of AP not recognizing stopped objects, usually a vehicle in their lane, and usually asking why the heck it happened, etc. The most common circumstance I recall reading about is the case in which a vehicle leaves the lane, and the next one encountered is stationary. People then chime in and quote the manual (text quoted above) and so on. This specific aspect of AP was one of the first "problems" with AP that I recall being discussed at length, repeatedly, in the early days of the rollout of AP1 in the fall of 2015.

Personally, I try to be extremely cautious when such circumstances arise and brake as soon as it looks to me that AP will not, or might not do so in time to avoid hard deceleration or a collision.

Having said that, I am not sure if AP2 is any better on this point.

Having said that, I am not sure if AP2 is any better on this point.

While both AP1 and AP2 have evolved over time, AP2 is still not at parity with AP1 in that regard, nor with regard to accurate speed regulation with AS due to the myriad errors in the database upon which AP2 is dependent. These are two of the most glaring deficiencies of AP2. One is relative, since you can’t trust either AP1 nor AP2 with regard to stopped objects, and the other will probably just result in more speeding tickets.

The 3rd glaring deficiency of AP2 is phantom braking. Whether it’s an overpass, adjacent parked cars, or the time of say, *this* deficiency is going to get somebody rear-ended. I’m surprised there have been more encounters with EMS vehicles than rear-endings in the news.

• Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing
Do you own a Volvo? If so, you might want to read the manual.

If you don't you might not want to opine on things you're ignorant about.

Their City Safety Emergency braking doesn't even activate over 30 mph.

City Safety – introduction

I understand you are visibly upset that your car doesn't automatically brake in an emergency. But I stated Volvo's have AEB and they do. I made no reference to speed, only in your mind did I do that.

Another inflammatory headline. These are getting old. The headline should read "driver slams into fire truck" !! If you run into something that you can clearly see out your windshield as a driver it's your fault doesn't matter what kind of car you have doesn't matter if it's autonimous doesn't matter if it's the moon buggy or or if it's made out of unobtainium and runs on dilithium crystals. Doesn't matter!! if the vehicle has manual controls that are functioning prior to impact.. it's your fault.!!

Couldn't agree more! Well said.

Why does not Tesla copy the camera based diverging taillight/edge method that Honda uses?

As you approach two points on an stationary object, the distance between the two points will grow. Tail lights, as on the white van in the Volvo example above, would be clearly visible and diverging.

Fire trucks are red.

Maybe Tesla is using the diverging dot method, but it can't find the red taillights on a red truck?

The Honda method isn't perfect either, the only thing you can rely on at the moment is still good old Mk1 Eyeball...

All of the different option will or won't work reliably in different circumstances, nonoe of them work reliably in all circumstances so we have to pay attention and keep our eyes open...

TACC has this warning:

Warning:
Traffic-Aware
Cruise Control
cannot detect all objects and may not
brake/decelerate for stationary vehicles
or objects, especially in situations when
you are driving over 50 mph (80 km/h)
and in situations where a vehicle you are
following moves out of your driving path
and a stationary vehicle or object is in
front of you.

Collision Avoidance Assist has this warning:

If driving 29 mph (46 km/h) or faster, the
brakes are released after Automatic
Emergency Braking has reduced your driving
speed by 25 mph (40 km/h). For example, if
Automatic Emergency Braking applies braking
when driving 56 mph (90 km/h), it releases
the brakes when your speed has been reduced
to 31 mph (50 km/h).

How many drivers have actually read the above warnings???