Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Photos of inappropriate UK Supercharger usage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True. Driver has no choice ... however 2 stalls are now unavailable rather than 1 for Teslas ... but good to see there are no Teslas needing to queue due to plenty others being available.
Isn’t the point that we don’t own the stalls, Tesla do, and they’ve decided to open them up? Why on earth should we “shame” drivers of i4s or Mini Es for using stalls to which they’ve been invited or for which they’ve paid? Any ire should surely be directed at Tesla?

Isn’t the point that we don’t own the stalls, Tesla do, and they’ve decided to open them up? Why on earth should we “shame” drivers of i4s or Mini Es for using stalls to which they’ve been invited or for which they’ve paid? Any ire should surely be directed at Tesla?
This is not about shaming anybody. It is about showing if there are problems being caused by the opening up of the chargers. This helps to provide some factual evidence so we can see what is actually happening. Given how few instances are appearing in this thread I would say that the thread is serving to ease the fears of Tesla drivers who feared that the Superchargers would be swamped by inappropriate uses (so far).

This is not about shaming anybody. It is about showing if there are problems being caused by the opening up of the chargers. This helps to provide some factual evidence so we can see what is actually happening. Given how few instances are appearing in this thread I would say that the thread is serving to ease the fears of Tesla drivers who feared that the Superchargers would be swamped by inappropriate uses (so far).
I take issue with “inappropriate”… if your i4’s electron hole means you block two stalls, that’s not inappropriate if you’ve paid to be there. This result won’t have come as a surprise to Tesla (or perhaps the computer didn’t think of it, which is why Tesla’s AI guy is leaving).
I enjoyed seeing an Ioniq 5 at Cardiff SC this week (those wheels- they’re HUGE) but I’m not sure the guy who arrived in an X and found the only slot hoseless as a result did. But the Ioniq wasnt doing anything “inappropriate”. We risk coming over like the firstborn who never gets over the fact mummy and daddy had another child now and they have to share

I take issue with “inappropriate”… if your i4’s electron hole means you block two stalls, that’s not inappropriate if you’ve paid to be there. This result won’t have come as a surprise to Tesla (or perhaps the computer didn’t think of it, which is why Tesla’s AI guy is leaving).
I enjoyed seeing an Ioniq 5 at Cardiff SC this week (those wheels- they’re HUGE) but I’m not sure the guy who arrived in an X and found the only slot hoseless as a result did. But the Ioniq wasnt doing anything “inappropriate”. We risk coming over like the firstborn who never gets over the fact mummy and daddy had another child now and they have to share
I think the issue is where someone with their “electron hole” on the “wrong” side turns up and takes up two additional stalls, when they may have been able to use a different stall without blocking a further stall. ie. better to park up next to another EV with the port on the wrong side, therefore not blocking any further stalls, rather than one stall over leaving a gap, therefore blocking a further stall.

Clear as mud, I trust?

I think the issue is where someone with their “electron hole” on the “wrong” side turns up and takes up two additional stalls, when they may have been able to use a different stall without blocking a further stall. ie. better to park up next to another EV with the port on the wrong side, therefore not blocking any further stalls, rather than one stall over leaving a gap, therefore blocking a further stall.

Clear as mud, I trust?
This isn’t inappropriate, is it?

Reactions: MarkThisDay
This isn’t inappropriate, is it?
I previously responded to that particular image. Personally, I do not believe it is inappropriate. What else can they do? Tesla have clearly accepted this is going to happen. If another “wrong” EV turns up, they should park directly to the right of them, that way they’re not blocking any extra chargers. However, if the second EV left a space to the right and parked in the bay two over, then they would be blocking an extra charger, which would be inappropriate.

the front grille is in my opinion
Agreed! 🤣

I think this thread has proved the opposite of what it was created for? There has been very little evidence of genuine misuse has there? Even that van doesn't count as it's not an EV, it's just an idiot trying to be annoying.

It feels inevitable this will get rolled out to more superchargers soon.
True but the chargers were carefully chosen as the ones with low utilisation so it makes sense. Open up Woodall and lets see how that goes.
A report this morning says that 29% of the EU's EV chargers are in the Netherlands. ( not sure about the AC/DC split) given how small the Netherlands is this is crazy and should give some idea of why Tesla were able to open up all superchargers there without issue. Hopefully it does not mean the same will happen here anytime soon because things are definitely not the same here. I doubt Tesla want the optics of their cars queuing for chargers behind ID3's any more than we do.

True but the chargers were carefully chosen as the ones with low utilisation so it makes sense. Open up Woodall and lets see how that goes.
A report this morning says that 29% of the EU's EV chargers are in the Netherlands. ( not sure about the AC/DC split) given how small the Netherlands is this is crazy and should give some idea of why Tesla were able to open up all superchargers there without issue. Hopefully it does not mean the same will happen here anytime soon because things are definitely not the same here. I doubt Tesla want the optics of their cars queuing for chargers behind ID3's any more than we do.
Maybe it's a situation that will settle in time.... more super chargers? An even higher premium for non tesla cars too use a super charger to discourage use?

You get fast chargers (faster than 50 kw) at basically every petrol station there

I disagree! The definition of inappropriate is "not suitable or proper in the circumstances" so, this fits nicely with your Model X guy. Admittedly, if there's plenty of other superchargers free, what does it matter? Personally, I'd be happy blocking a stall in a non Tesla if there were plenty of others available, however, I'd move if it got busy and people were waiting due to me blocking a charger.

I like to treat people how I expect to be treated, I also don't like to do things just because I can, it's worth asking yourself if you should.

I think this thread has proved the opposite of what it was created for? There has been very little evidence of genuine misuse has there? Even that van doesn't count as it's not an EV, it's just an idiot trying to be annoying.

It feels inevitable this will get rolled out to more superchargers soon.
Tesla don't advertise any feedback mechanism for this, and I feel like it's probably asking a bit much of people to surreptitiously take photos of people blocking bays, etc, inviting confrontation. At best you might have individuals complaining to their local SC, but probably aren't going out of their way to do it - e.g. they might mention it during an existing SC visit. There's no reason not to assume those gripes don't disappear into a black hole either (unless, again, Tesla SCs have some mechanism for formally recording these complaints / incidences of blocking). People might be apathetic about it as well, figuring that it's going to happen (open up fully) anyway.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that the problem of third parties blocking Tesla superchargers is endemic, but at the same time I would not proclaim that the lack of feedback on one forum is indicative of anything beyond a lack of feedback on one forum.