Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picked up my Tesla in early December, worst car I've ever owned.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what's funny is when people mention cheaper running costs, for me moving from a 4l v8 to a model 3, yes obviously I saved alot on fuel, but for most people olif you're getting 50-60 mpg (uk, that's about 40-60 US), it's a really tough sell to move to something like a leaf, even worse if you've got something a bit sporty. My wife has a fiesta st, so 200hp, but to get an equivalent electric car, it's basically twice the price, no was are you going to save that in running costs.

Fwiw my lifetime average (since I got the car in december:) is 348. Its been pretty cold most of the time, only on a couple of days is it getting into double figures (celcius).

Last edited:
If you are going to "wait 10 years" then why are you on a EV website now? I mean, thats fine and all, but if you actually mean that, there is "less than zero" reason for you to be on a tesla website or any other EV vehicle website. You wouldnt need to start looking into that until approximately 9 years from now, if you are planning on waiting 10 years.

Sorry, I didn't realize that you had to be within a one-year waiting queue in order to join/read/comment on an automotive forum.

And FWIW, it's not a hard and fast decision. As I learn more (which can be done reading forums like this one), it has definitely swayed my opinions. But yeah, I'm thinking that it's just too early for me to go electric. I think the longer I wait, the better things will be. Does that make sense? I'm happy and thankful for the early adopters, but I don't see myself jumping in yet. A lot can change in 10 years. Maybe I'll change my mind and make the jump in 5 years, but who knows??

Do I have to leave the forum now?

I'd suggest there are a significant number of people who could move to an EV, just in terms of battery/range/charging infrastructure (i.e., not factoring in cost). I think there's still some "false anxiety" over the charging process.

I'll be first to admit, I had the same, but once we owned a PHEV (Wrangler 4xe), got a 50a circuit installed (and a 40a EVSE), and I spent time on abetterouteplanner.com and plugshare.com, I realized my use cases were easily handled by a BEV (specifically a Tesla M3P).

Oh, and it's super roomy for the size, has a killer audio system, excellent AWD and is fast as hell (and I've had some extremely quick vehicles).

I'm not saying that an EV or even a PHEV wouldn't work for me. I'm quite sure that I'd be content with doing the daily grind in an EV. But I love to road trip and I'm just not convinced that I want to do that in today's EVs, at least not with the limitations that are so common today. Until I started researching, I didn't realize just how much range is lost in cold weather....or how that can affect charging times (especially cars that don't precondition)...and how much wind direction/speed and/or elevation changes can make a huge difference.

I'm also an enthusiast. I love modifying my cars. I love manual tranmission vehicles. I love turbocharged engines. So no matter what I decide to do in the future, I'm not getting rid of my enthusiast vehicles. I currently own an Audi that has a great audio system, excellent AWD and is fast as hell too and it even has a manual transmission, which raises the fun factor for me quite a bit.

I'm probably going to buy another car within the next year or two. A Model 3 was on the list. I see now that Toyota is going to offer the Supra with a manual transmisson, so I added that car to my list of cars to consider. I might end up getting the Supra and one of the big reasons for me is that cars like that just aren't going to be around much longer. It ticks all of my enthusiast boxes---manual transmission, RWD, turbocharged engine. So I'll most likely stick with ICE for my next new car purchase and revisit the idea of an EV in the future.

I'm not saying that an EV or even a PHEV wouldn't work for me. I'm quite sure that I'd be content with doing the daily grind in an EV. But I love to road trip and I'm just not convinced that I want to do that in today's EVs, at least not with the limitations that are so common today. Until I started researching, I didn't realize just how much range is lost in cold weather....or how that can affect charging times (especially cars that don't precondition)...and how much wind direction/speed and/or elevation changes can make a huge difference.

I'm also an enthusiast. I love modifying my cars. I love manual tranmission vehicles. I love turbocharged engines. So no matter what I decide to do in the future, I'm not getting rid of my enthusiast vehicles. I currently own an Audi that has a great audio system, excellent AWD and is fast as hell too and it even has a manual transmission, which raises the fun factor for me quite a bit.

I'm probably going to buy another car within the next year or two. A Model 3 was on the list. I see now that Toyota is going to offer the Supra with a manual transmisson, so I added that car to my list of cars to consider. I might end up getting the Supra and one of the big reasons for me is that cars like that just aren't going to be around much longer. It ticks all of my enthusiast boxes---manual transmission, RWD, turbocharged engine. So I'll most likely stick with ICE for my next new car purchase and revisit the idea of an EV in the future.
I think the choice is clear....either be an early adopter or stick with the mainstream...both options are valid. What is not acceptable to to jump halfway, and that means don’t go for a hybrid or an ev by a legacy auto manufacturer...just my two cents worth...

Sorry, I didn't realize that you had to be within a one-year waiting queue in order to join/read/comment on an automotive forum.

And FWIW, it's not a hard and fast decision. As I learn more (which can be done reading forums like this one), it has definitely swayed my opinions. But yeah, I'm thinking that it's just too early for me to go electric. I think the longer I wait, the better things will be. Does that make sense? I'm happy and thankful for the early adopters, but I don't see myself jumping in yet. A lot can change in 10 years. Maybe I'll change my mind and make the jump in 5 years, but who knows??

Of course not (im assuming thats a joke but in case it isnt). However, yes, a lot can change in 10 years. Pretty much nothing right now will be relevant related to cars 10 years from now, so if you really are at a "I guess I will do this in 10 years" place, then it doesnt make any sense to be looking into it now.

Its like saying you are an android user, but on an apple website now, about iphone 13s, and saying "yeah I think I will buy one of these iphones in 10 years, but until that time I will stick with my android". What iPhone 24 might or might not do isnt applicable now, so its a strange thing to say if one is actually doing that with that timeframe.

Geez, I thought waiting 3 years for a Cybertruck was bad lol

I can certainly identify with being an enthusiast, also someone who modified nearly every vehicle I owned __and__ I was a huge advocate of manual transmissions (drove only manuals for ~20+ years, like back-to-back vehicles, a few of which were manual only like my Z06 and S2K).

I ran track events all the time, HPDEs at Moroso (when it was), Road ATL, Roebling Road, CMP - did some top end events - a few A/Xs here and there, went to a ton of shows, tuned, re-tuned (I've probably got 50+ of total dyno time across cars), turned some of my own wrenches - and just had a blast.

Heck, I'm a guy who had a 55g drum of VP C14 race gas in my shed, with a hand pump :D

So yeah, I totally get it, I'm just sort of done with it I guess, but I had a =lot= of fun cars and a lot of fun.

The Mk V Supra really grew on me, and first I wasn't too keen on the general design, then I was kind of cranky over it being a BMW-Supra, but it's proving to be very capable and setup with a little suspension work, exhaust, a few tweaks it really comes together. We were in NYC a couple of weeks ago, just happen to coincide with the NYC Auto Show - we were staying close - so how could we not go! Toyota had a neat exhibition, and a bunch of Supras, including some seriously tricked out with aftermarket, some of which might become factory options (well, according to the Toyota goober).

I had a really done up 4th Gen Supra (6-speed manual), ~800HP, custom paint, rollbar/race seats, single, everything polished, AP Racing brakes, a number of imported carbon fiber components (from Top Secret), it made the rounds in shows and mags, and Toyota even used it for a show one time down in Orlando :)

And because nobody asked :D

800_DSC00028.jpg

I can certainly identify with being an enthusiast, also someone who modified nearly every vehicle I owned __and__ I was a huge advocate of manual transmissions (drove only manuals for ~20+ years, like back-to-back vehicles, a few of which were manual only like my Z06 and S2K).

I ran track events all the time, HPDEs at Moroso (when it was), Road ATL, Roebling Road, CMP - did some top end events - a few A/Xs here and there, went to a ton of shows, tuned, re-tuned (I've probably got 50+ of total dyno time across cars), turned some of my own wrenches - and just had a blast.

Heck, I'm a guy who had a 55g drum of VP C14 race gas in my shed, with a hand pump :D

So yeah, I totally get it, I'm just sort of done with it I guess, but I had a =lot= of fun cars and a lot of fun.

The Mk V Supra really grew on me, and first I wasn't too keen on the general design, then I was kind of cranky over it being a BMW-Supra, but it's proving to be very capable and setup with a little suspension work, exhaust, a few tweaks it really comes together. We were in NYC a couple of weeks ago, just happen to coincide with the NYC Auto Show - we were staying close - so how could we not go! Toyota had a neat exhibition, and a bunch of Supras, including some seriously tricked out with aftermarket, some of which might become factory options (well, according to the Toyota goober).

I had a really done up 4th Gen Supra (6-speed manual), ~800HP, custom paint, rollbar/race seats, single, everything polished, AP Racing brakes, a number of imported carbon fiber components (from Top Secret), it made the rounds in shows and mags, and Toyota even used it for a show one time down in Orlando :)

And because nobody asked :D

View attachment 800890

Is this a variant of the BMW Z-4? Looks like fun.

Is this a variant of the BMW Z-4? Looks like fun.

Oh, the car I posted is a 1994 (Mark IV) I used to own, it was totally Toyota, used an in house 3.0L inline-6 (JZ2-GTE), a variant of the same engine was used by the Lexus SC300 and GS300 (I had a GS300 too, terrific sedan).

The new Supra, the Mark V uses a BMW developed I-6, as well as a lot of other BMW running gear, and you're right on, it has quite a bit of shared engineer with the Z4.

Oh, the car I posted is a 1994 (Mark IV) I used to own, it was totally Toyota, used an in house 3.0L inline-6 (JZ2-GTE), a variant of the same engine was used by the Lexus SC300 and GS300 (I had a GS300 too, terrific sedan).

The new Supra, the Mark V uses a BMW developed I-6, as well as a lot of other BMW running gear, and you're right on, it has quite a bit of shared engineer with the Z4.
It may sound nuts but for this round I had four cars in the running. Lucid Air (could not get this year) Maserati and Alfa. Settled on M3LR

I think the choice is clear....either be an early adopter or stick with the mainstream...both options are valid. What is not acceptable to to jump halfway, and that means don’t go for a hybrid or an ev by a legacy auto manufacturer...just my two cents worth...
I agree. I really have no interest in any kind of hybrid, to be honest. When I do jump in, it will be pure BEV for sure.

Reactions: Bouba
Of course not (im assuming thats a joke but in case it isnt). However, yes, a lot can change in 10 years. Pretty much nothing right now will be relevant related to cars 10 years from now, so if you really are at a "I guess I will do this in 10 years" place, then it doesnt make any sense to be looking into it now.

Its like saying you are an android user, but on an apple website now, about iphone 13s, and saying "yeah I think I will buy one of these iphones in 10 years, but until that time I will stick with my android". What iPhone 24 might or might not do isnt applicable now, so its a strange thing to say if one is actually doing that with that timeframe.
I think what you're missing here is that I'm an auto enthusiast by nature. Always have been. I have a passion for cars. Especially cars that are performance oriented. I'm a member of many automotive forums for cars that I've never owned. Most of those forums were cars that I considered at some point in time. I find information in forums invaluable since many members are obviously owners. Tesla definitely fascinates me. None of the legacy automakers is currently offering anything in the BEV world that interests me. I have a big interest in Rivian. I have an account on their forum too. I could see replacing my Grand Cherokee some day with an R1S.

Wow. Not my experience at all. Just in fuel savings, I’ve saved over $10k in three years, and that’s not even counting the reduced maintenance. Your mileage, literally may vary.
Yeah, I was thinking something similarly. The math on OP post doesn't mirror my experience for whatever reasons. In my oldest Tesla, in the last 5 years I have saved over $4,800 in fuel, but of course that is not the reason I bought the car. I also live in a very cold environment and even with a 6% depletion on the battery after 490 charges, I still get over 270 miles of range on the 100 KWh MX. I'm wondering what is wrong with the OP issue.

Not sure if the OP is still reading this, but your stats are not representative. I live in Minneapolis, and we are much colder than even Chicago and i never ran above 400 WH/mi, even when it was below zero temps. There is definitely something going on with your vehicle and if your original service center was trying to tell you otherwise, you need to visit a different one. I have a M3LR, and for 12 months, I've averaged 250 WH/mi for those 12 months, and that includes road trips and city driving.

Not sure if the OP is still reading this, but your stats are not representative. I live in Minneapolis, and we are much colder than even Chicago and i never ran above 400 WH/mi, even when it was below zero temps. There is definitely something going on with your vehicle and if your original service center was trying to tell you otherwise, you need to visit a different one. I have a M3LR, and for 12 months, I've averaged 250 WH/mi for those 12 months, and that includes road trips and city driving.
His example samples are very short and probably very fast cold battery drives.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Status
Not open for further replies.