Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up P3D+ in two weeks and it's suppose to snow, what should I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except I live in Reno and was "forced" to pick up the car in Rocklin CA so I had to drive over the Sierra to get the car home.

Your post underscores the lack of planning on tesla's part re: cold weather and the P3D.

I made an attempt to point this out in an amusing way, but apparently people are super duper serious around these parts.

I have been driving in winter weather for 30 years. First five years in northern New England and last 25 years in Colorado.

I still had major pucker factor when I foolishly thought it would be no big deal to drive an Audi I bought 14 years ago with the stock performance Z rated rubber.

At 20 mph on a very slight downhill grade with a very light dusting of snow the car ended up sideways and I almost took out a fire hydrant. It's a miracle I didn't hit anything.

Don't screw with this stuff.

Tesla is under no obligation to eat the cost of doing a home delivery but if they will do it for you, that's great... I would do it even if I had to pay for it rather than risking your 'precious' winding up in a ditch with body damage... which would be a sucky way to start your new car relationship.

BMW/Merc/Audi dealers deliver AWD cars with performance tires in the dead of winter all the time and usually they will have a plan to do this for the customer whether it is a complimentary home delivery of the car, loan of a set of all season wheels/tires.... etc.

Whatever you do DON'T drive it in the snow, especially for four hours.

Someone commented on increasing your following distance. I invite that person to drive on an icy road with performance rubber and discover that they have literally zero traction below 20-30F and become ice skates. You can give yourself all the room in the world to stop and still not stop.
@voip-ninja is right and i was the idiot who recommended increased following distances. four hours? Don't do it

Reactions: hoang51
I live in Ann Arbor MI and own a P3D+ I picked up from Cleveland in Sept. I got 20 in Alpins put on the stock wheels 2 weeks ago. Stock tires are Ok at 40deg dry. Had one afternoon with sleet in late Oct. Stock tires had no - zero - traction on the sleet. If it is 40+ you can drive home. If any frozen water around - I’d try to demand home delivery.

• Helpful
Reactions: hoang51 and mongo
I live in Ann Arbor MI and own a P3D+ I picked up from Cleveland in Sept. I got 20 in Alpins put on the stock wheels 2 weeks ago. Stock tires are Ok at 40deg dry. Had one afternoon with sleet in late Oct. Stock tires had no - zero - traction on the sleet. If it is 40+ you can drive home. If any frozen water around - I’d try to demand home delivery.

That storm was crazy! Glad the hail wasn't any larger.

Are you saying you got Alpin on stock when you picked up?

So many knee jerk replies without reading the post. It’s mentioned in the OP and many follow ups the issue isn’t driving in the snow.

It’s the dedicated summer tires that come on the model 3 20” wheels risk of being destroyed by operating in cold temperatures per the manufacturer warnings that the tread compound can permanently crack in low temps.

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Also worth pointing out that the stock tires for the 20" wheels probably run around $275-$325 per tire.... so one time of abusing them by running them in below freezing weather could be a very costly error... compared to say the cost of having the car delivered on a flat bed 150 miles away.

Reactions: JPUConn
I've had DWS 06s (245/35/20) on my car for two weeks and counting. No clearance issues whatsoever, even at full lock. Tread wear looks good, and they're quieter than AS 3+s.

Do they grip as well as summer tires? Of course not. But they're all-seasons! They're fine. No-brainer imo. I'd buy 'em again in a heartbeat.

Reactions: JPUConn and SigNC
I've had DWS 06s (245/35/20) on my car for two weeks and counting. No clearance issues whatsoever, even at full lock. Tread wear looks good, and they're quieter than AS 3+s.

Do they grip as well as summer tires? Of course not. But they're all-seasons! They're fine. No-brainer imo. I'd buy 'em again in a heartbeat.

What about the width? Does the 245 vs 235 really make a difference? If yes, how so?