Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picking up this weekend. Still No VIN?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously. How am I supposed to finalize my loan and take out an insurance policy without a vin? Do they expect the bank to open on sunday just because that's my delivery date? I'm starting to think they have not really built the car yet, or at least that I will be unable to pickup the car this weekend due to not being able to get a loan in time? How many days before pickup are you guys getting VINs?

Reactions: tvisdog
You don’t need an insurance policy with your model 3 on it before delivery. Most insurance companies provide a grace period to add on a new vehicle.

Just show proof to Tesla you have insurance and you’ll be fine. Add the vehicle when you take delivery and arrive home.

I didn't get my VIN until the day before delivery, and even that I had to be proactive about.

I got mad, and emailed the Service Manager at my local SC.

It wasn't really the right person to email, but the service manager at the SC I was picking up at has always been awesome. Once again they were awesome, and got someone else to respond to me. They took care of getting me my VIN, and confirming that the car would be there for pickup.

You don’t need an insurance policy with your model 3 on it before delivery. Most insurance companies provide a grace period to add on a new vehicle.

Just show proof to Tesla you have insurance and you’ll be fine. Add the vehicle when you take delivery and arrive home.

That's what I did with the Tesla.

A few months ago I bought a MB Sprinter based Camper Van, and I took care of the insurance while I was at the dealer. I was a bit nervous driving such a massive thing.

I'm a week away from delivery, but no VIN here either. Lightstream has already approved me at their rate, but I need a rate beat; and the credit union won't finalize their offer until they get a VIN and purchase order (which I imagine is that MVPA people mention). I've emailed my delivery advisor, but I think I'll have to call the dealership tomorrow too.

I know you are excited to pick up the car, but you are the customer. Let them sweat it. They are in a push to get sales in Q3? Fine, then it is on them to get the info you need to get your loan and insurance strait. I was bracing myself for this same exact situation based on other comments on the board.

I live close by the SC, so I would have casually walked in on my delivery date without check or insurance - "You want to get paid today? Huh, nobody sent a VIN. My credit union is closed on the weekend. How about you guys get your *sugar* together? Call me sometime when you find the VIN. Enjoy your day!"

Fortunately for my situation, the IDA got me my VIN 4 days after placing the order since mine was already built. TBD how pickup goes next week, but at least my docs are already in order. What a PIA for you - sorry you have to deal with that.

Tesla explicitly wanted to see the rider before delivering the car for me. May be state related.

Seriously. How am I supposed to finalize my loan and take out an insurance policy without a vin? Do they expect the bank to open on sunday just because that's my delivery date? I'm starting to think they have not really built the car yet, or at least that I will be unable to pickup the car this weekend due to not being able to get a loan in time? How many days before pickup are you guys getting VINs?

I didn't think that they do deliveries on Sunday, but in any case.

Your portal should open for payment a very few days before delivery. I would recommend knowing exactly who to call at your bank and insurance company to be able to get the information in less than a day.

I didn't think that they do deliveries on Sunday, but in any case.

Your portal should open for payment a very few days before delivery. I would recommend knowing exactly who to call at your bank and insurance company to be able to get the information in less than a day.

Actually,, Tesla will deliver your car 24hrs a day, 7 days a week, assuming your local assigned delivery center is open. Based on what I've heard and seen in the PNW, these centers are independently owned and operated so hours vary. I'm in a similar boat as you with no vin yet amd picking up the 28th. I have a friend that works for the delivery center and he says they should have the vin 2-3 days in advance. If not, there's a good chance that they will come up with some other reason why your delivery has been delayed. Good luck and happy trails.

Call Tesla up -- just keep trying numbers, starting with the local delivery center and trying the national number if you don't get satisfaction there -- and explain sarcastically that you would be happy to pick the car up on Sunday, but unless you get a VIN number by Friday morning you won't have a loan and so you won't be able to pay for the car. Ask them if they would like to get paid for the car. You'll eventually get escalated to someone who will either get you a VIN or tell you that the Sunday delivery date is impossible and will be delayed.

This is a clusterfuck of epic proportions, and it's truly pathetic. Logistics is difficult, but it's not *this* difficult. I could personally straighten *this* part out in three days of programming.

Reactions: Sean Wagner
Call Tesla up -- just keep trying numbers, starting with the local delivery center and trying the national number if you don't get satisfaction there -- and explain sarcastically that you would be happy to pick the car up on Sunday, but unless you get a VIN number by Friday morning you won't have a loan and so you won't be able to pay for the car. Ask them if they would like to get paid for the car. You'll eventually get escalated to someone who will either get you a VIN or tell you that the Sunday delivery date is impossible and will be delayed.

This is a clusterfuck of epic proportions, and it's truly pathetic. Logistics is difficult, but it's not *this* difficult. I could personally straighten *this* part out in three days of programming.
When you call tesla they tell me I need to email my delivery manager, which of course I have. They only respond when they feel like it though.

Tesla explicitly wanted to see the rider before delivering the car for me. May be state related.

It’s lender related. If you buy cash they don’t give a crap if you have insurance. You want to drive a $60k car without coverage? Have fun!

If you’re financing, the bank requires them to make sure their collateral is insured before releasing funds.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I know you are excited to pick up the car, but you are the customer. Let them sweat it. They are in a push to get sales in Q3? Fine, then it is on them to get the info you need to get your loan and insurance strait. I was bracing myself for this same exact situation based on other comments on the board.

I live close by the SC, so I would have casually walked in on my delivery date without check or insurance - "You want to get paid today? Huh, nobody sent a VIN. My credit union is closed on the weekend. How about you guys get your *sugar* together? Call me sometime when you find the VIN. Enjoy your day!"

Fortunately for my situation, the IDA got me my VIN 4 days after placing the order since mine was already built. TBD how pickup goes next week, but at least my docs are already in order. What a PIA for you - sorry you have to deal with that.

Agreed. I'm scheduled for 9/29 delivery but if they don't get everything I need several days ahead of time to finalize what I need to do they will just have to wait. I have no issues with a Q4 delivery. And the folks at the SC said don't accept a Sunday delivery because the folks that do all the final checks and detailing are off on Sundays.

• Informative
Reactions: Sg911 and neroden
It’s lender related. If you buy cash they don’t give a crap if you have insurance. You want to drive a $60k car without coverage? Have fun!

If you’re financing, the bank requires them to make sure their collateral is insured before releasing funds.

That’s also not true. State law in my state and I’m sure others requires them to confirm you have proof of insurance before you take possession.

Doesn’t have to be on the Tesla as your existing policy will provide grace coverage of a new purchase for at least a week or two.