Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another Elephant in the room here, how many of us are running these tires below the recommended minimum temperature?
Michelin Pilot Sports 4S is a "max performance summer-only" tire, not an "all season". I sure hope no one is negligent enough to be driving their summer tires in the winter.

"Beyond cracking concerns, summer tires have diminished grip below 40º F on dry and wet roads and virtually little to no grip on snow and ice"
-from Beware that some performance summer tires can crack in winter by Consumer Reports.

A few years ago, a Tesla Service Center attempted to loan me a Model S P85 RWD with 21's during a NY January. I declined and the screen reported the tires were set to 30 psi, probably after they got it stuck somewhere. The low PSI causes the vehicle weight to be over the tire's capacity limit, so it's a blowout waiting to happen.

Last edited:
There is certainly excessive wear on the inner treads.
Look at the distance from the top of the tread blocks to the top of the wear indicators. The outer blocks have the most tread, and the inner blocks have the least.

Also, the blocks at the inner sidewall are completely worn to the threads.
Compare that to the tread blocks from the outer sidewall where none of them are worn down.

View attachment 903797View attachment 903799
I’m gonna get the alignment checked as soon as the new tire comes in.

Michelin Pilot Sports 4S is a "max performance summer-only" tire, not an "all season". I sure hope no one is negligent enough to be driving their summer tires in the winter.

"Beyond cracking concerns, summer tires have diminished grip below 40º F on dry and wet roads and virtually little to no grip on snow and ice"
-from Beware that some performance summer tires can crack in winter by Consumer Reports.

A few years ago, a Tesla Service Center attempted to loan me a Model S P85 RWD with 21's during a NY January. I declined and the screen reported the tires were set to 30 psi, probably after they got it stuck somewhere. The low PSI causes the vehicle weight to be over the tire's capacity limit, so it's a blowout waiting to happen.

Yes, cracking is a concern at 40º or lower temps. And low PSI causes more wear on the outer edges of the tires.

That's why you are supposed to inflate the tires to the recommended PSI when they are cold.

Does the problem only happen in cold temperatures? If anything, people need to make sure tire pressure doesn't get below 42.
Thats interesting, I notice my tires at 37-38 when I first get in and there not warmed up. What is the optimal tire psi when cold, 40 or 42? I just got this vehicle 2 weeks ago and reading all the stuff here is making my head explode.

Thats interesting, I notice my tires at 37-38 when I first get in and there not warmed up. What is the optimal tire psi when cold, 40 or 42? I just got this vehicle 2 weeks ago and reading all the stuff here is making my head explode.

Do not get caught up in some of the hyperbole and drama. Put your tires at 42 COLD. Nature will take care of the rest.

Monitor the wear on your tires - which should be done regularly no matter which car you have in your garage. Keep your alignment in spec.

Reactions: MFrunkerOG
Yes camber being off would show across the tread. Toe being off shows where these sidewalls are starting to separate. Excessive toe out will point the wheel towards the outside of the vehicle, therefore scrubbing the inner shoulder area we are seeing wear / failure in. It only takes a little negative toe to start overheating that area.

I think it's a combination of the two camber and toe. The excessive camber puts the tire more on its inside edge, where the toe causes the excessive wear isolated to that area. Not really sure just toe or just camber would result in these issues.

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
I think it's a combination of the two camber and toe. The excessive camber puts the tire more on its inside edge, where the toe causes the excessive wear isolated to that area. Not really sure just toe or just camber would result in these issues.
Agreed. Both settings out of spec in a negative orientation absolutely would cause it. An extremely out of spec negative toe alone would as well.

Agreed. Both settings out of spec in a negative orientation absolutely would cause it. An extremely out of spec negative toe alone would as well.

and tesla stating the alignment is "within spec" without providing an actual printout of the data, means nothing. We all know how "within spec" works...

clear.png

I am running (on all factory suspension):
LR Camber: -1.6
LR Toe: 0.19
RR Camber: -1.9
RR Toe: 0.19

Wearing tires smooth. PS4S with current 7-10k miles show no signs of uneven wear or delamination. Just had two shops check them out last weekend to see if they agree. Also both said 6/32" left on each.

Keep in mind this is on the LR version and I drive it as a touring and not track car.