Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As has been said before, sidewalls on the 19s are softer so they flex more. The 20s have the same problem as the 21s but to a lesser degree.

The uneven wear goes away completely with adjustable camber and toe arms.
My 20" 275/35/20 (all around) have 17k on my PS4S's and while doing a recent tire rotation I see absolutely no wear on the shoulder. All of the "nipples" are all still intact. Tread wear is even and probably has 70-80% left.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 7.42.24 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 7.42.24 PM.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 226
  • Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 7.42.16 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 7.42.16 PM.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 79
Perhaps that may be the case, but at the end of the day, just on this thread alone we have dozens of 21" tires with thread/sidewall failures well before the tread reflects significant wear.

Michelin needs to step up and replace tires that are prematurely failing, before there's an accident. It's called a "recall."

just to make sure, you're not an actual pilot, are you?

• Funny
Reactions: cleverscreenam
My 20" 275/35/20 (all around) have 17k on my PS4S's and while doing a recent tire rotation I see absolutely no wear on the shoulder. All of the "nipples" are all still intact. Tread wear is even and probably has 70-80% left.

That's because you are rotating them. Do what people with staggered do, not rotate them and then you will see the uneven wear.

Something just doesn’t make sense to me here. There are thousands of refresh S and X cars on the road. Probably less than 0.5% of those cars have aftermarket adjustable arms installed on their Tesla. That would mean that thousands of Tesla owners are replacing prematurely worn tires with exceedingly uneven tread wear; in my case the rest of the tire had 70% useful tread left. That would also mean many of these Tesla owners are having blowouts and tread separation at speed. There are literally thousands of these cars on the road everyday. How is it this is not a more widespread phenomenon? Am I the only one who filed a warranty claim with Michelin? Surly Michelin would have a standing policy to deny this type of claim if thousands of Tesla owners are filing the same claim.

I just feel like this has to be typical Internet conjecture where we are a small sample but appear to be part of a widespread problem, when in fact, it is not. I don’t know. I’m just trying to inject logic into this and can’t imagine how we haven’t heard more about this. I had a Ford Expedition that suffered tire tread separation at 75 mph back during the time when that issue was prevalent. It was well known. Granted ten times the number of vehicles were sold with defective tires than there are Teslas on the road now with these PS4’s, but wouldn’t this problem be a little more prevalent?

Something just doesn’t make sense to me here. There are thousands of refresh S and X cars on the road. Probably less than 0.5% of those cars have aftermarket adjustable arms installed on their Tesla. That would mean that thousands of Tesla owners are replacing prematurely worn tires with exceedingly uneven tread wear; in my case the rest of the tire had 70% useful tread left. That would also mean many of these Tesla owners are having blowouts and tread separation at speed. There are literally thousands of these cars on the road everyday. How is it this is not a more widespread phenomenon? Am I the only one who filed a warranty claim with Michelin? Surly Michelin would have a standing policy to deny this type of claim if thousands of Tesla owners are filing the same claim.

I just feel like this has to be typical Internet conjecture where we are a small sample but appear to be part of a widespread problem, when in fact, it is not. I don’t know. I’m just trying to inject logic into this and can’t imagine how we haven’t heard more about this. I had a Ford Expedition that suffered tire tread separation at 75 mph back during the time when that issue was prevalent. It was well known. Granted ten times the number of vehicles were sold with defective tires than there are Teslas on the road now with these PS4’s, but wouldn’t this problem be a little more prevalent?
That's what is so difficult to know.

This thread will be seen by a very small fraction of those that have a blowout or tread delamination--most people have really busy lives and they just expediently get a bad tire replaced and move on.

Only those that are far "more engaged" with Tesla post here.

The only proxy we have is anecdotal stories from tire shops (and Tesla Service Centers) that see a lot of MS's, and they report, "They all do that." And the constant state of "those tires on are nationwide backorder" on cars that are, at most, 18 months old . . . .

I'm pretty sure that as the Plaids enter EU and especially Germany in large numbers, unless Tesla and Michelin changed something for those markets we'll see this thread explode in about 12 months.

The only proxy we have is anecdotal stories from tire shops (and Tesla Service Centers) that see a lot of MS's, and they report, "They all do that."
Plus all the first-hand experiences of early adopters that have owned multiple Model S's since it arrived in 2012, saying "They all do that." For me, 2014. So many thousands of people fed up with blowing through all brands of tires from Tesla's improper non-adjustable stock alignments... that at least FOUR companies were born and saw enough market to create adjustable arms to correct Tesla's misguidance.

Reactions: Russell
That's because you are rotating them. Do what people with staggered do, not rotate them and then you will see the uneven wear.
I would agree with you there if the inner shoulder showed SOME sort of wear, but you can see in my photo's the inner shoulder hasn't worn out the nipples.
Believe what you may, but I suspect that if I never rotated I would see no change.
Keep in mind all 4 tires are wearing exactly evenly when I measure.
I am considering doing no rotations since that is the case like with my '15 85D. All four wore so evenly I stopped rotating.

I would agree with you there if the inner shoulder showed SOME sort of wear, but you can see in my photo's the inner shoulder hasn't worn out the nipples.
Believe what you may, but I suspect that if I never rotated I would see no change.
Keep in mind all 4 tires are wearing exactly evenly when I measure.
I am considering doing no rotations since that is the case like with my '15 85D. All four wore so evenly I stopped rotating.
Your toe appears to be set in a happy place from the photos.

Purely speculation here, but the vast majority of folks I see driving Teslas have relatively little automotive knowledge, and I would guess some of them are new to EV ownership as well. If SCs are telling those folks "this is normal and within spec" and attributing this wear (if it's a widespread occurrence) to the heavier weight of an EV and these tire changes are just the cost of doing business, then there are probably people out there simply accepting 8-10k tire changes as the cost of ownership. I would guess a good chunk of folks aren't hammering the car from light to light either, which I'm assuming exacerbates the problem.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I checked my car that has 7400 miles, I picked it up with 7100. Have the 21" Arachnid wheels and have no idea if the previous owner smashed on it everyday but I don't see any uneven wear on these tires. Tires are prob the most important thing on the vehicle and regardless of what kind of scratch you have tires that last under 10k and need to be changed is utterly ridicolous

Plus all the first-hand experiences of early adopters that have owned multiple Model S's since it arrived in 2012, saying "They all do that." For me, 2014. So many thousands of people fed up with blowing through all brands of tires from Tesla's improper non-adjustable stock alignments... that at least FOUR companies were born and saw enough market to create adjusta

ble arms to correct Tesla's misguidance.
I must have missed all the threads of the pre-Palladium Model S with dozens of pictures of rear tires coming apart? I don't recall seeing any, and we've been driving MS's since 2013.

Sorry, but I'll have to disagree completely.

Inner tread tire wear is one thing, and tread/sidewall separation is something else entirely--the 21" Michelin rear tires are physically coming apart. This is especially interesting as the tread in many photographs shows minimal wear on the inside edge . . . .

But perhaps having tires come apart is okay for some here? It's not for me, hence my efforts to escalate this to a NHTSA recall and get the bad tires off the road before someone gets hurt.

As you would expect. I spoke to s service advisor whom I have known since 2014. We have become good friends over the years. I asked if she had heard of refresh rear tire worn shoulders are a "thing" and to my surprise the answer was NO.
Not since the early days on the non-refresh 21's. She said they had since resolved that with camber/toe adjustments.
Could it be that the folks on this thread are the small community of refresh owners are experiencing this??