Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a hard time believing Tesla Service Center slobs, nor Tesla hq, are anywhere near fastidious enough to set toe or any alignment setting to where they think it should be to ameliorate excessive rear tire wear especially when all they're doing is installing a brake kit. The variance in even the level of service documentation or extreme lack of just shows you how they roll - careless at best, negligent at worst.

So the onus is on you, the owner/customer, to protect yourself at all times.

Yet supposed Tesla enthusiasts, who willingly register and visit this forum, struggle with getting an actual alignment check to factually understand the hand that their MS was dealt. Fact is, there is no camber adjustment from factory. Fact is, the allowed factory range toward negative will absolutely obliterate even the most rugged rubber on Earth.

So you can spend your time chasing after $1200, but unless you address the root cause (suspension modification), in perhaps less than half a year of normal driving, you're going to be likely rolling on egg shells yet again.

(Team T2 PS4S)
In my case with a 2021 they aren’t just installing a brake kit. All 4 knuckles are replaced as well as the 2021’s didn’t have the mounting locations for the track pack. Also I had to swap the stock control arms and toe arms back in. They definitely had to align the car and they precisely set the rear to 0.2 each side at medium ride height.

In my case with a 2021 they aren’t just installing a brake kit. All 4 knuckles are replaced as well as the 2021’s didn’t have the mounting locations for the track pack. Also I had to swap the stock control arms and toe arms back in. They definitely had to align the car and they precisely set the rear to 0.2 each side at medium ride height.

what are the rest of your “precisely set” tesla service center alignment specs and what were they before?

what are the rest of your “precisely set” tesla service center alignment specs and what were they before?
IMG_0699.jpeg

Mine are similar, but I had a non-tesla alignment shop do mine in the low suspension setting since I only drive in low. (also I have 20" ps4s all around with no issues)
View attachment 1001244
As I mentioned I removed my adjustable control arms, toe arms, and links before taking it in. I put them back on after. My links are -6/-7. I had it aligned elsewhere as Tesla won’t touch it with the adjustment stuff on it. I set my camber at 1.3 all around on low and reduced the toe as my bushings don’t flex. I highly recommend some camber up front, car turns like a dream. Zero camber doesn’t handle great.

Reactions: Muzzman1
As I mentioned I removed my adjustable control arms, toe arms, and links before taking it in. I put them back on after. My links are -6/-7. I had it aligned elsewhere as Tesla won’t touch it with the adjustment stuff on it. I set my camber at 1.3 all around on low and reduced the toe as my bushings don’t flex. I highly recommend some camber up front, car turns like a dream. Zero camber doesn’t handle great.
Wait wait wait wait. You put on stuff that alters the suspension angels after an alignment and don’t get it checked after you place them on?

I went for a wheel alignment after I change to the winter wheels. When I took of the 21” PS4 I could see the inner side starting to wear abnormally, the car had 7000km.

The wheel alignment (made at a third part, not Tesla with the most modern equipment) was made in [LOW] as I use low as standard.

All four wheels was having toe out!
That is not good!!!

Toe out in combination with negative camber will make sure you wear the inner corner. It was just what I expected, sadly enough.
I bought the car new, and I havent even driven once in a bump expect very slow so it is positive that the car was shipped with a wheel alignment that do not work, from the tyre life span perspective.
I can not make any statement about the numbers in medium, as my car was set in low (using the N2itive fine tuned spec) but as the car will be in low at highway speeds toe out would kill the wheels anyway.

I installed the Rear N8tive links a few thousand miles ago and wear is basically normal now - nothing uneven. I'd suggest everyone that buys a model S installs those links after delivery. Nothing will come from the lawsuits and complaints to Michelin. Most of us here work like crazy for our $ and value our time. It is what it is with Tesla. it's a manufacturer defect, I've been saying this since 2013 with the P+ model S. They will never admit it. Just bite the bullet and fix it yourself and enjoy what is still the best car on earth.

Or just don’t order the 21s and have reasonable wear without having to resort to hacky fixes
Bad specs are bad specs homey. Whether oem 19s or 21s, you're going to get more life out of the tires by addressing the problem.

And pls let's stop the peurile commentary to potentially demotivate legit aftermarket vendors -- who happen to spill a megaton of blood, sweat and tears producing better than OEM parts -- that support a niche vehicle like the MSP. The more the merrier especially as our cars age.

Beauty! (Don, proprietor N2itive, is super cool)

IMG_3002.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam1 and NeuroRad
I’ll keep repeating this. 2013 camber issues that merely cause wear are a different symptom and problem then camber plus dynamic toe issues that cause the tires to shred with plenty of tread left. Hopefully someone understands this…
Is the intent behind this saying that camber arms will not fix the accelerated inner rear tire wear? I have yet to see anyone that installed adjustable camber arms on the 2021+ cars come back, and say they're experiencing the same phenomenon...(I could've missed this too).

Is the intent behind this saying that camber arms will not fix the accelerated inner rear tire wear? I have yet to see anyone that installed adjustable camber arms on the 2021+ cars come back, and say they're experiencing the same phenomenon...(I could've missed this too).
That's because at the same point in time the arms are installed, the alignment is done and it corrects any toe issues.

Camber is a component of the shredding and flattening it does help. As Sam mentioned, In addition the toe is set correctly as well at that time. I’m sure you will have cases with the camber arms installed but bad toe settings still having problems, give it time. Once again camber is a key component of handling characteristics so unless you bought a plaid for it’s hyper miling ability, you want some.

Reactions: AAKEE
I see - so is the following consensus correct? 2021 + Model S' that are having the accelerated inner tire wear issues are caused by bad toe on the alignment and that is it?

You hire a seasoned alignment pro to adjust both the camber and toe at the suspension height you use most to address the rear tire wear problem.

Camber is only adjustable w/ aftermarket parts.

Toe is factory adjustable for 2021+ Model Ss.

Reactions: Sam1 and canasion35
You hire a seasoned alignment pro to adjust both the camber and toe at the suspension height you use most to address the rear tire wear problem.

Perfect - exactly what I was looking for. Looking to replace the Model 3 with a Plaid and wanted to know simply what the fix is. Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Reactions: Sam1

The aftermarket part can be as simple as a shim/washer behind the factory camber arm. To fix the flex under acceleration UP has lower control arms with bushings and bushings a la carte I think. Mountain Pass has adjustable lower control arms if you want infinite adjustment.

If you’re happy at stock ride height I think you can just adjust your rear toe in 0.2 and be ok.

• Informative
Reactions: Sam1 and canasion35