Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well you guys were right

I, too have the exact same issue

6FF4E2D0-DB9C-48DF-B984-1773F4FA45FA.jpeg
D008BB53-BA80-4609-BB41-99807474A3C5.jpeg

The defect is real… Dammit

Reactions: KOL2000
A yser here had installed spacers to improve the aggressive stance

Wonder if the problems persist in his case

I still think this is the same problem as the previous performance Model S cars running on 21" rims, with the camber off due to riding at low suspension height. Only now the problem is more common and happening faster due to Tesla having the refresh default to low suspension height when on the highway for improved range. I have been manually having to switch back to medium height, but sometimes I forget.

I really wish Tesla would roll out a simple update to allow owners to select what ride height they prefer on the highway. I prefer to lose a couple of miles of range versus replacing expensive tires after 8-10k miles!

Very heavy car + soft performance rubber + incorrect camber = premature wear.

Last edited:
Reactions: dk79
recently changed the tires twice. I’ll explain. Purchased Pirelli P Zeros while waiting for Michelin to fulfill the back ordered tires. Got to look at the wheel well while on the lift, no rubbing. Also inspected my Pirelli’s once the Michelins came in after a few hundred miles and same thing. I could visibly notice more contact on the inside. Asked Tesla to adjust the camber on the install of replacement Michelins to limit the wear down. Bottom line got an alignment with install of the replacement tires. Going back since I have new front tires as well. Will explain the issue again and request camber adjustment. Check out this YouTube also that’s explains it pretty well.

Went to the tire shop yesterday as I had a slow leak, Bingo, same issue. Sent info to Tesla service.
What worries me is my tire shop could not fin a replacement, and Tire Rack has them available only in October.
Any ideas?
I was thinking of switching to 19’s tempest for the extra range and comfort, do tesla sell those, I can only see the winter package with those.

Attachments

• 70CA80FC-CD0F-4349-A130-81728BD74193.jpeg
    70CA80FC-CD0F-4349-A130-81728BD74193.jpeg
    420.4 KB · Views: 86
Went to the tire shop yesterday as I had a slow leak, Bingo, same issue. Sent info to Tesla service.
What worries me is my tire shop could not fin a replacement, and Tire Rack has them available only in October.
Any ideas?
I was thinking of switching to 19’s tempest for the extra range and comfort, do tesla sell those, I can only see the winter package with those.

Can you take pictures of the inside? I would love to see if the damage is worse, same or less than the outside.

Try ebay. I was able to purchase a new set of Pilot Sport 4S for a grand.

They’re saying it’s an alignment problem… and want to charge me $274

I only have 15K miles on my tires
Yes, of course they want to charge $274.

Let's counter with yes, and if the alignment is within spec, you'll replace the tires at no cost to me. And if the alignment is off, you'll replace the tires at no cost to me as well.

I wonder how that will play out.

Reactions: KOL2000 and misc3r
Thinking of going with 19’ tempest wheel as it increases range most likely comfort and pirelli seem to be readily available.
There are no difference between the one from a long range Models S (refreshed) and the one on the plaid is there?
Found some on Ebay just want to make sure.

Thinking of going with 19’ tempest wheel as it increases range most likely comfort and pirelli seem to be readily available.
There are no difference between the one from a long range Models S (refreshed) and the one on the plaid is there?
Found some on Ebay just want to make sure.
AFAIK, and the website appears to concur, there is no difference between the base 19" wheels and tires on the Plaid vs the Long Range on the 2021+ Model S (Palladium upgrade).

Others may chime in, but absent any conflicting info I'd go ahead and get them, especially if they're local. (But be cautious and wary: some bad actors sell bent Tesla wheels on eBay knowing that fighting to get your money back can be a royal pain and very unfruitful--ask me how I know . . . .)

Update on visits to two Discount Tire locations before the weekend.

1. The first store aired the right rear tire up, and after showing them an iPad with pics from this thread, advised, "Yes, it's starting."

2. Made an appointment at another DT location to remove and inspect the right rear tire on Friday. A dunk tank test revealed zero visible leaks, and the same peculiar wear pattern on the very far inside edge (as in "bald"), but . . . "we can't do anything for you since it's not worn out yet."

And:

"The tires are not in stock; you can expect a 6- to 12-month wait."

And:

"Come see us again when the steel cords are showing and we might be able to get some Pirellis that will fit."

And:

"No, we can't file a warranty claim with Michelin since they're not worn out yet."

And, when I asked about the inexplicable leak of 2 or 3 psi every week, he replied, "Well, that's just sort of a road hazard." When I told him of the dunk tank test, he sort of just shrugged and advised that "Michelin won't do anything with that."

Nearly a complete waste of time, except to eliminate any sort of nail or screw as the cause of the chronic air loss, and to learn that DT expect me to stick my head under the car and in the wheel well every day or two to see if my rear tires are down to cords on the inside edge . . . which is really something.

Oh, and the DT rep suggested upsizing to a 305 width tire since "those are available." According to Michelin, they are also out of stock, and on back order, and none in that size are available with foam liner (Acoustic).

3. While at DT, I called the number provided from another poster here, using the "dealer" option tree. I advised the rep of the complete lack of a solution at DT, and the Micheline rep reported that there were none of the proper size tires in inventory at Michelin, and they were on back order, and that I should call back in four weeks to see when they might be back in production. It also appears that there are some incorrect part numbers somewhere in the system as she had trouble matching the Tesla OEM (Acoustic) tires with what was showing on her screen.

4. I asked for a follow up email so as to send her links to this thread, and send her the pictures of my tires. It arrived with a Michelin Case Number so I'll write her back this weekend.

5. I'll perhaps try a local Tesla Service Center in the hopes of getting some results there, but it's about a 60-mile round trip to one that's been decent in the past (vs. 14 miles to the closest one), but there's always fear entering into Tesla Service Hell . . . and a likely charge of nearly $300 to tell me my alignment is "to spec."

What a friggin' nightmare with DT blaming "Teslas weigh too much and they all have this problem," and Michelin having no clue about the problem while providing a complete lack of replacement tires, and Tesla doing __________________ to fix this issue and make us whole!

Sure hope Elon will read this thread and get right on it.

Last edited:
Update on visits to two Discount Tire locations before the weekend.

1. The first store aired the right rear tire up, and after showing them an iPad with pics from this thread, advised, "Yes, it's starting."

2. Made an appointment at another DT location to remove and inspect the right rear tire on Friday. A dunk tank test revealed zero visible leaks, and the same peculiar wear pattern on the very far inside edge (as in "bald"), but . . . "we can't do anything for you since it's not worn out yet."

And:

"The tires are not in stock; you can expect a 6- to 12-month wait."

And:

"Come see us again when the steel cords are showing and we might be able to get some Pirellis that will fit."

And:

"No, we can't file a warranty claim with Michelin since they're not worn out yet."

And, when I asked about the inexplicable leak of 2 or 3 psi every week, he replied, "Well, that's just sort of a road hazard." When I told him of the dunk tank test, he sort of just shrugged and advised that "Michelin won't do anything with that."

Nearly a complete waste of time, except to eliminate any sort of nail or screw as the cause of the chronic air loss, and to learn that DT expect me to stick my head under the car and in the wheel well every day or two to see if my rear tires are down to cords on the inside edge . . . which is really something.

Oh, and the DT rep suggested upsizing to a 305 width tire since "those are available." According to Michelin, they are also out of stock, and on back order, and none in that size are available with foam liner (Acoustic).

3. While at DT, I called the number provided from another poster here, using the "dealer" option tree. I advised the rep of the complete lack of a solution at DT, and the Micheline rep reported that there were none of the proper size tires in inventory at Michelin, and they were on back order, and that I should call back in four weeks to see when they might be back in production. It also appears that there are some incorrect part numbers somewhere in the system as she had trouble matching the Tesla OEM (Acoustic) tires with what was showing on her screen.

4. I asked for a follow up email so as to send her links to this thread, and send her the pictures of my tires. It arrived with a Michelin Case Number so I'll write her back this weekend.

5. I'll perhaps try a local Tesla Service Center in the hopes of getting some results there, but it's about a 60-mile round trip to one that's been decent in the past (vs. 14 miles to the closest one), but there's always fear entering into Tesla Service Hell . . . and a likely charge of nearly $300 to tell me my alignment is "to spec."

What a friggin' nightmare with DT blaming "Teslas weigh too much and they all have this problem," and Michelin having no clue about the problem while providing a complete lack of replacement tires, and Tesla doing __________________ to fix this issue and make us whole!

Sure hope Elon will read this thread and get right on it.

Are you willing to pay them to take the tire off so you can inspect it on the inside?

If you have damage on the inside before the cords on the outside are showing then THAT would be enough reason for a warranty claim.

Please take close up pictures and post them. It could help everyone here with the same problem.

Last edited: