Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did measure my camber at different heights.
Before adjusting Very High -0.6, High -1.2, Medium -1.4, Low -1.8.
Now after adjusting Very High +0.8, High +0.1, Medium -0.4, Low -0.6
Camber is half the scenario for most. Out of spec Toe is what is causing the inner sidewall issues (again my opinion). Camber being overly negative only exacerbates that issue as well.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Nonetheless, I took it to two alignment shops (Goodyear and Firestone in Lake Nona, FL) and neither would touch it. They can’t adjust the camber, only the toe. Something to do with Tesla proprietary blah blah blah. So I have an appointment with Tesla for a $300 alignment next week. Just to make sure it’s “within spec”. 😂
Keep in mind Tesla will only Verify and align in the medium suspension height setting. Doesn’t help when the suspension is in or forced into LOW where geometry changes and alignment is different.

• Informative
I’m going to be open minded. I sent an email to the N2itive folks to see if they know of an installer in Orlando. If so, I’m gonna risk the $1,000 plus install and see if that fixes Tesla’s or Michelin’s screwup. Gonna cancel my appointment with Tesla to check the alignment if I can get these adjustable arms put on.

• Love
I’m going to be open minded. I sent an email to the N2itive folks to see if they know of an installer in Orlando. If so, I’m gonna risk the $1,000 plus install and see if that fixes Tesla’s or Michelin’s screwup. Gonna cancel my appointment with Tesla to check the alignment if I can get these adjustable arms put on.
Any reputable race shop should be able to do it, it's a quick job that gets done regularly. Find a shop that does alignments and just have them put it on before the alignment.

• Helpful
Keep in mind Tesla will only Verify and align in the medium suspension height setting. Doesn’t help when the suspension is in or forced into LOW where geometry changes and alignment is different.
I don't know if this is accurate.

Our Plaid was measured in low and regular height FWIW, and all was in spec.

Rear tires still losing air pressure at two or three psi and that's with the tread still intact, and showing equal wear across the face of the tires.

New tires to be installed but who knows if the problem will persist with them as well?

I don't know if this is accurate.

Our Plaid was measured in low and regular height FWIW, and all was in spec.

Rear tires still losing air pressure at two or three psi and that's with the tread still intact, and showing equal wear across the face of the tires.

New tires to be installed but who knows if the problem will persist with them as well?
You are the first person I am aware of that has gotten Tesla to verify and/or align in any suspension setting other than medium (standard). According to the service manual, they use toolbox 3 as part of their ride height alignment procedure which forces medium (standard) ride height setting via the alignment routine. Reference Toolbox PROC_CID_X_LEVELING-STANDARD

Reading through the service procedure again right now it appears there is no way to have it use any other ride height during their authorized procedure.

Afterwards the procedure calls for the vehicle to be in medium ride height AND stay in jack mode from the start of the ride height and alignment procedure before the caster sweep, during the analyzation and through the final adjustment if necessary.

I’ve called every SC in my area (4 of them) and none could/would do it any other way.

Where area are you located in? I wonder if you may have found a SC that will go outside the standard alignment procedure as dictated in the service manual.

Will you be able to keep the tires they are replacing?

Last edited:
Another Happy Plaid owner. 10K miles and the rear driver side is gone.

Attachments

• IMG_2546.jpeg
    IMG_2546.jpeg
    403.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2547.jpeg
    IMG_2547.jpeg
    666.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2548.jpeg
    IMG_2548.jpeg
    605.5 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: Nickos
File a claim with Michelin. Very easy to do and they just reimbursed me $358 for my tread separation at 15,000 miles.

I was going to spring for the adjustable camber arms, but there isn’t a shop within an hour’s drive that installs them in Orlando. It got me thinking more about the tens of thousands of MS and MX cars on the road with this same issue, and nothing is being done by Tesla or Michelin to rectify it. Is this really that widespread of a problem? We are such a small percent of the cars on the road with the same tires and non-adjustable camber arms. I can’t see spending the time and money having these aftermarket products installed to fix their problem. I’m going to keep filing claims with Michelin each time I have to replace a tire prematurely.

Honestly if a shop was right down the road willing to install these things, I’d give it a try and cross my fingers. The fact that there isn’t one close by gives me more incentive to let Michelin deal with it.

File a claim with Michelin. Very easy to do and they just reimbursed me $358 for my tread separation at 15,000 miles.

I was going to spring for the adjustable camber arms, but there isn’t a shop within an hour’s drive that installs them in Orlando. It got me thinking more about the tens of thousands of MS and MX cars on the road with this same issue, and nothing is being done by Tesla or Michelin to rectify it. Is this really that widespread of a problem? We are such a small percent of the cars on the road with the same tires and non-adjustable camber arms. I can’t see spending the time and money having these aftermarket products installed to fix their problem. I’m going to keep filing claims with Michelin each time I have to replace a tire prematurely.

Honestly if a shop was right down the road willing to install these things, I’d give it a try and cross my fingers. The fact that there isn’t one close by gives me more incentive to let Michelin deal with it.

Take it to a performance shop like Ostar Motorsports

• Informative
Reactions: emailforbrett