Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know why this guy is constantly obsessed with equating a different car with a different tire with a different wear pattern to the 21" S failures

The above in no way resembles the below

View attachment 1057267
It's literally almost the same exact car down to the suspension.

What you see in my photo is someone who caught it at an earlier stage. What you can see in other people's photos of their PS4S wear (in this thread too) is that it might resemble my photo, or your photo, because the tire in your photo had to go through the same stage of looking like it does in other photos before wearing into the belts...it didn't happen instantaneously.

Also look closer at my pic, you can clearly see the tread has chucked off a ring around the tire, that's not just smooth rubber going into the first block.

It's literally almost the same exact car down to the suspension.

What you see in my photo is someone who caught it at an earlier stage. What you can see in other people's photos of their PS4S wear (in this thread too) is that it might resemble my photo, or your photo, because the tire in your photo had to go through the same stage of looking like it does in other photos before wearing into the belts...it didn't happen instantaneously.

Also look closer at my pic, you can clearly see the tread has chucked off a ring around the tire, that's not just smooth rubber going into the first block.
No matter how much you scream otherwise, they are not in fact the same car with the same suspension.

You realize the tread shows nearly 0 wear in comparison to the photo you posted right? Despite that, the side wall separated.

Here’s a picture with some red circles to make it easier to see past your blinders.

1718671951052.jpeg

No matter how much you scream otherwise, they are not in fact the same car with the same suspension.

You realize the tread shows nearly 0 wear in comparison to the photo you posted right? Despite that, the side wall separated.

Here’s a picture with some red circles to make it easier to see past your blinders.

View attachment 1057420
The whole inner edge of the tire is excessively worn down. However, I do see your argument. The tire delaminated beyond what you’d expect for the wear.

Reactions: Bull and TBrownTX
The whole inner edge of the tire is excessively worn down. However, I do see your argument. The tire delaminated beyond what you’d expect for the wear.
It’s difficult to say how much of that wear occured after the separation. The intact portion still shows a fair amount of tread visible (and if you look at a brand new PS4S, the inner edge is a bit rounded off from the factory). But nonetheless, the pattern is clearly very different from the X tire posted above

Reactions: Bull and TBrownTX
It’s difficult to say how much of that wear occured after the separation. The intact portion still shows a fair amount of tread visible (and if you look at a brand new PS4S, the inner edge is a bit rounded off from the factory). But nonetheless, the pattern is clearly very different from the X tire posted above
There’s supposed to be tread all the way out to the edge beyond where that tire separated. I can post a pic of my T2 for reference if you need.

View attachment 1057420
I can see the wear perfectly fine, and your failure to understand the situation is kind of comical. Can there be multiple types of wear on a tire? Apparently not using your logic, so we'll ignore the worn ring around the tire (circled it in red so you can see it too), and focus only on the wider section tread wear. Also please don't look too close at the top part where you can clearly see the delamination on that ring, because it doesn't exist either.

FB_IMG_1718649758440.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I can see the wear perfectly fine, and your failure to understand the situation is kind of comical. Can there be multiple types of wear on a tire? Apparently not using your logic, so we'll ignore the worn ring around the tire (circled it in red so you can see it too), and focus only on the wider section tread wear. Also please don't look too close at the top part where you can clearly see the delamination on that ring, because it doesn't exist either.

View attachment 1057439
It is clearly different from the known PS4S failures. Why do you insist on arguing so much with everyone who does not agree with you? You have crossed the line of civility in this thread. Give it a rest please.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Sam1
It is clearly different from the known PS4S failures. Why do you insist on arguing so much with everyone who does not agree with you? You have crossed the line of civility in this thread. Give it a rest please.
This is why the thread exists, people don't understand basic concepts of how suspension problems lead to tire wear. And you're correct, civility was gone long ago. Just because you don't like how I say something doesn't make it incorrect :)

Anyone that wants to learn more about this issue can watch this video. Or read more here. Impacts both S and X. Different model years have different solutions but the permanent fix is adjustable camber/toe arms depending on model year. Tesla Toe/Camber discussion here
Wow that's crazy, it's almost like it is possible to have two types of wear on a tire, both excess camber and toe out. Wish someone had mentioned that previously 😂

On a serious note, thanks for the link. This described the situation very well.

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 3.46.10 PM.png

Wow that's crazy, it's almost like it is possible to have two types of wear on a tire, both excess camber and toe out. Wish someone had mentioned that previously 😂

On a serious note, thanks for the link. This described the situation very well.

View attachment 1057956
Agreed. I cancelled my Model X order after I learned more about the issue and the front half shaft issue/conundrum. X needs an engineering redesign to deal with the front half shaft and the rear suspension issues.

This is how the inner side of my rear looked after a couple of thousand km. Clearly excessive wear in the corner of the thread and side wall.

Sorry for the sht focus, but here's mine at 11K miles. I'll be happy if I get 20K+ miles out of the T2 PS4Ss. I'm well in the black costing out the N2itive forged arms + install + alignment by that point since some folks would be at the end of their 3rd set of pricey factory Michelins.

$1300 qty 2 rear T2 PS4Ss x 3 = $3,900 (assuming 7K miles lifespan)

$1300 T2 PS4S + $2500 N2itive arms installed/aligned = $3,800 (assuming 20K+ miles lifespan)

Add in all that time wasted waiting around at a dirty/loud tire shop, dropping off, picking up, being without a car, praying some incompetent tire guy didn't scratch up your rims, risking a blow out 3x over, etc = HARD PASS

IMG_1087.jpg

Screenshot 2024-06-25 8.59.48 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: jacie6056