Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tesla has next to zero support for Michelin's chronic tire failures, but they'll gladly sell you a new set of rear tires for well over $1k . . . as they have for so many already.

To get new tires at Michelin's expense simply file a claim here, or via their telephone number:

Eventually you'll get a set of replacement Michelin OEM tires (they are often on back order--hmmm, I wonder why?) and you should only have to pay a token amount of money for mounting and balancing the new tires, usually around $40 or $50 total.

*****Of greater importance: someone is going to get hurt when one of these tires lets go at high speed.*****

These tires need to be off the road and replaced, via a NHTSA safety recall, ASAP. To get a recall NHTSA needs DATA; let's help get them the data they need as only a small percentage of people will follow thru--most people just buy new tires and move on. PLEASE file a formal input here; it only takes a minute or two:

Thanks!
Great info! Do you know if I can start the claim process when I develop the slow leak or do I need to wait for some sign of delamination or failure? I'm at the very slow leak phase, which no other visible damage.

Yea so I noticed I was slowly losing air in both of my rear tires (2022 Model S Plaid w/ 10k miles) Here is a picture of the inner edge of my tire I took this morning after speaking with the mobile service guy in my area. I asked about there being a camber issue and he basically told me that they wont replace this and I would need to get a new tire (he recommended the all weather tire if it was available for the 21" wheel). I am a little confused with how I proceed here. Suppose I will start with reading 50 pages in this thread.

View attachment 927186
Maddening, isn't it? They know they have this issue, but since fixing it likely requires admitting they screwed up somewhere in the component design process Tesla's answer seems to be "budget $1-2k annually for tires and move along." I'm mounting my 20x10 square setup next week and will be installing N2itive lowering links and rear camber arms at the same time. I absolutely did not want to touch the suspension on this car or lower it (it's plenty low enough) due to warranty a$$-pains that I'm sure will follow, but I also can't afford to wrangle with Tesla while or drop $2k per year on tires given my average of about 20k miles driving per year.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tesla has next to zero support for Michelin's chronic tire failures, but they'll gladly sell you a new set of rear tires for well over $1k . . . as they have for so many already.

To get new tires at Michelin's expense simply file a claim here, or via their telephone number:

Is this working for folks? Also, that link has like 8 contact options. Which one did you use?

Yea so I noticed I was slowly losing air in both of my rear tires (2022 Model S Plaid w/ 10k miles) Here is a picture of the inner edge of my tire I took this morning after speaking with the mobile service guy in my area. I asked about there being a camber issue and he basically told me that they wont replace this and I would need to get a new tire (he recommended the all weather tire if it was available for the 21" wheel). I am a little confused with how I proceed here. Suppose I will start with reading 50 pages in this thread.

View attachment 927186 Question: Did you spend any time driving in sub 40 deg F temps with the summer tires? My theory is this is a result of the higher than typical camber combined with cold properties of the summer compound. Beware that some performance summer tires can crack in winter - Consumer Reports

FWIW, Less camber will certainly make your tires happier and improve performance in nearly all conditions. There are no real drawbacks with less camber as it is not possible to operate fast at the mid heights. Our palladium camber kit is quite easy to install for DIY or any mechanic without need for an alignment if your toe is already in spec. If you have any questions ask away.

Last edited:
80 ft lbs would be way over torqued.

View attachment 926040
Thanks for sharing this. We developed our bolt specs based on the bolt type and coating. Curiously that torque spec is inline with grade 8.8 galvanized bolt. The EPC indicates it is a 10.9... As verified on the cars we have encountered as well. Thus the spec we call for is inline with a grade 10.9 fastener and would not be "way over torqued" but actually be what is called out for that grade steel in that application.

Reactions: whenryb
Not sure tesla will help with tire warranties (but don't quote me on that). Discount tire will though.

From the Michelin tire warranty folks.
We need to do an inspection of the tires by an authorized dealer for the warranty procedure. From there, we will need the authorized dealer to call us at 1-866-866-6605 to report the inspection. You can find an authorized dealer using Michelin Dealer Near Me - Find a Tire Shop | Michelin . Once we receive the inspection results, we can look into generating a pro-rated offer towards an IN-BRAND (Michelin, BFGoodrich or Uniroyal) tire-replacement(s) for you. The offer would be good for 30 days, and would not include the cost of inspection results, mounting, balancing, taxes or fees.

Reactions: bhzmark and Sam1
From the Michelin tire warranty folks.
Of note, most (almost all?) tire dealers/technicians are not well schooled in diagnosing microscopic internal tire defects leading to tread delamination as caused by improper tire design and/or construction. Instead, they seem to be far more likely to blame "improper alignment" for any odd looking tire failure that rolls into the shop . . . that's the easiest path for the inadequately informed tire tech.

That said, I have had decent results at Discount Tire, but only AFTER Michelin HQ got involved with their own Michelin Field Engineer. At first, from DT it was, "We see a lot of Teslas like that because of bad alignment" because that's ALWAYS their "go to" for any tire defect that shows up . . . . To be blunt, they are most certainly NOT getting graduate level education on tire engineering or technology before they're a customer-facing employee at DT.

Odd how those same technicians never have an explanation as to why the OEM 19" Pirelli doesn't have those "alignment" problems despite being on the same cars with the same factory alignment specs . . . . And let's not get into the bias introduced by their sampling method: all they see if tires with problems. They don't know or understand the tire failures they DON'T see (like the Pirelli 19" OEM's on the Plaid).

Last edited:
Reactions: n2mb_racing
Thanks for sharing this. We developed our bolt specs based on the bolt type and coating. Curiously that torque spec is inline with grade 8.8 galvanized bolt. The EPC indicates it is a 10.9... As verified on the cars we have encountered as well. Thus the spec we call for is inline with a grade 10.9 fastener and would not be "way over torqued" but actually be what is called out for that grade steel in that application.

Pretty sure the factory torque spec take into account the material the fastener is bolted into which is aluminum. I wouldn't deviate from the factory specs.

Oh, so you think his rear camber at "low" isn't -2.5 on each side????
Don't know, don't care.

If Tesla's alignment spec is "xxxxx" then the OEM tires need to be able to accept "xxxxx," as intended. Michelin has just introduced an new "EV" tire that perhaps is better able to handle the unique loads imposed by EV's, and I think it's already spec'd as the OEM tire by Mercedes--perhaps Tesla should consider that tire for OEM instead of what they're using now . . . .

Of note, most (almost all?) tire dealers/technicians are not well schooled in diagnosing microscopic internal tire defects leading to tread delamination as caused by improper tire design and/or construction. Instead, they seem to be far more likely to blame "improper alignment" for any odd looking tire failure that rolls into the shop . . . that's the easiest path for the inadequately informed tire tech.

That said, I have had decent results at Discount Tire, but only AFTER Michelin HQ got involved with their own Michelin Field Engineer. At first, from DT it was, "We see a lot of Teslas like that because of bad alignment" because that's ALWAYS their "go to" for any tire defect that shows up . . . . To be blunt, they are most certainly NOT getting graduate level education on tire engineering or technology before they're a customer-facing employee at DT.

Odd how those same technicians never have an explanation as to why the OEM 19" Pirelli doesn't have those "alignment" problems despite being on the same cars with the same factory alignment specs . . . . And let's not get into the bias introduced by their sampling method: all they see if tires with problems. They don't know or understand the tire failures they DON'T see (like the Pirelli 19" OEM's on the Plaid).

You never read the model x groups do you? 22" pirellis do this same thing on the MX. But it's probably Michelin's fault that Pirellis fail on the SUVs too.

Will await the results from this research study conducted by one of the "graduate level educated molecular tire engineers".

You never read the model x groups do you? 22" pirellis do this same thing on the MX. But it's probably Michelin's fault that Pirellis fail on the SUVs too.

Will await the results from this research study conducted by one of the "graduate level educated molecular tire engineers".

You are on to something. Maybe Michelin and pirelli really do not know what is going on and it is Goodyear pulling the strings.

The Camaro ZL1 has adjustable camber arms so the car can be driven on the streets and then the wheels can be cambered more aggressively for track use. The Track setting for their rear tires is -2.0. Coincidentally that is the “normal” fixed angle for our Refresh S’s that Tesla recommends. …at Medium height…we ride in Low all the time over 35 MPH so our camber is even more negative than the Chevy in Track Mode. So it would seem we are theoretically running all day long in “Track Mode”, if you will. Can any tire withstand that sort of abuse? That’s why I opted to replace my rear arms for the adjustable ones and set the camber to a more neutral angle for daily driving. I’ll let you know in a year how my tires have been holding up.

Reactions: brooklyn