Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An update from Tesla….

They removed the N2itive arms and put the OEM arms back on and the problem still persists…..as I knew it would.

So the N2itive arms are working as advertised. I’m going to put them back on after Tesla fixes whatever is wrong with the suspension that is causing my “clunking sound”.

I'll be interested in seeing the cause of the clunking. I have something similar on occasion when the rear suspension loads or unloads. Also just switched to 19s and my other rear 21" tire was showing the dreaded wear as I thought it would. No signs of it yet on the one the dealer replaced due to a puncture but it has only been a few thousand miles.

I drove another couple of thousand miles which means it's time for a new set of rear tires (!!!). Does anyone have experience with ANYTHING other than Michelin PS 4S tires for the 21" rears?

On Tire rack they have Pirelli P0, Michelin PS EV, and Falken Azenis (cheapest option). Thanks in advance everyone

I drove another couple of thousand miles which means it's time for a new set of rear tires (!!!). Does anyone have experience with ANYTHING other than Michelin PS 4S tires for the 21" rears?

On Tire rack they have Pirelli P0, Michelin PS EV, and Falken Azenis (cheapest option). Thanks in advance everyone
Also the continental cross contact RX is available.

Yes, I have run the Goodyear Asymmetric 3 F1 NA0 from a Porsche 911, and currently have a set of the Pirelli PZ4 NF0 from a Porsche Taycan waiting to be installed on a new set of wheels.

The Goodyear F1's were really good in 75 degree and higher temps, below that, they were good with cornering, but spun on a straight line launch more than the OEM PS4S did.

The PZ4's are only a 220tw, which is only 20 above a track rated tire (PS4S are 300tw), so I'm expecting them to be extremely sticky, but ruin my range (I don't care about range loss).

Reactions: buckets0fun
Yes, I have run the Goodyear Asymmetric 3 F1 NA0 from a Porsche 911, and currently have a set of the Pirelli PZ4 NF0 from a Porsche Taycan waiting to be installed on a new set of wheels.

The Goodyear F1's were really good in 75 degree and higher temps, below that, they were good with cornering, but spun on a straight line launch more than the OEM PS4S did.

The PZ4's are only a 220tw, which is only 20 above a track rated tire (PS4S are 300tw), so I'm expecting them to be extremely sticky, but ruin my range (I don't care about range loss).
Thanks so much Sam. At this point I don't care about performance at all. I'm just want something that can last more than 2-5k miles. Any info on wear would be appreciated.

Thanks so much Sam. At this point I don't care about performance at all. I'm just want something that can last more than 2-5k miles. Any info on wear would be appreciated.
Wear was much faster with the Goodyear F1's. They are only rated at 240tw.

But, I am really hard on tires. Heck, my front tires wear out as fast as the rears because of those amazing CCBs that Unplugged makes lol...This is even with the 19" Pirelli lol. Am lucky to see a few thousand miles out of a set of tires (when there's a lot of events happening), but at least they wear evenly because the the aftermarket suspension parts. Would guess the first set of rears were ruined in barely over 3000 miles because of inner wear (why I started upgrading the parts).

I would plug in your specific tire sizes into Tire Rack and filter for all-seasons, "ultra HP, HP, super omega ultra HP, etc." then look at the treadwear rating. The higher the rating, the longer the tire will last.

All seasons will outlast summer tires and they're typically cheaper too.

I would plug in your specific tire sizes into Tire Rack and filter for all-seasons, "ultra HP, HP, super omega ultra HP, etc." then look at the treadwear rating. The higher the rating, the longer the tire will last.

And how garbage the handling will be as they're generally a harder tire, adding nvh to the mix.

Align the car correctly and the tire eating will all but disappear.

Reactions: Sam1
I have 15k miles on my stock 21" tires and no issues yet. All driven in low suspension mode. No visible wear on the inside edges, but the rears are losing a lot of air every few days. I have had a few alignments this year, so that could be helping.

I have 15k miles on my stock 21" tires and no issues yet. All driven in low suspension mode. No visible wear on the inside edges, but the rears are losing a lot of air every few days. I have had a few alignments this year, so that could be helping.
If they are losing air you have something going on. Perhaps separating internally?

Thank you. In that case I'll try the continental cross track as they are rated at 480 vs. 280-300 for the other ones.

Reactions: canasion35
Hmmmm.

Your losing air in both rear tires, but no visible wear?

I'd look a LOT more closely.

I very much suspect your Michelin 21" rears are internally damaged at the inner tread/sidewall and that's where the leaks are coming from, but only dunking in a tank under higher-than-normal pressure will reveal that.

File a formal request for replacements from Michelin--I got a new set due to this defect and WE ALL should. I will continue this until our OEM Michelin tires stop coming apart.

See links in previous posts or just check out Michelin's website. You'll likely have to visit a local retailer to get them replaced, and I have good success with Discount Tire on this chronic issue (Michelin will want your old tires back: DO NOT LET THEM TOSS THEM).

Please keep us posted.

Look my post in this thread, same thing and started noticing air loss a lot. Took it off and had it inspected at Costco Tires and you can see small tears on the inside.

1000023317.jpg

Just had mine done and added the N2Itive camber arms. Also replaced the bad Michelins with Pirellis PZ4 and sticking with the 21 inch wheels.

Hopefully it fixes it but I'll monitor it.

Reactions: AAKEE and Sam1