Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too much negative toe. I don’t think your year has any adjustment on the toe arms so you’d have to install aftermarket toe arms. Would pay off quickly as the return on investment pays off quick with such expensive tires that don’t last many miles.
Toe is adjustable from the factory. The bushings are a little softer than I like, but not terrible.

Well, it finally happened to me too. I had a leak in both my rear tires for the past few months. I have confirmed my alignment is correct through multiple alignments, although it still has a lot of negative camber.

I've kept the tire pressure above 39 psi at all times and didn't observe any unusual wear on the insides. But, checking this morning, you can see the tread is clearly delaminating. I'm starting the warranty process now.

1693502594194.png

Well, it finally happened to me too. I had a leak in both my rear tires for the past few months. I have confirmed my alignment is correct through multiple alignments, although it still has a lot of negative camber.

I've kept the tire pressure above 39 psi at all times and didn't observe any unusual wear on the insides. But, checking this morning, you can see the tread is clearly delaminating. I'm starting the warranty process now.

View attachment 969788

Alignment "correct" to who's numbers, an experienced suspension technician or Tesla? Tesla's numbers are known to be terrible.

You should keep tire pressure above 42.

Tesla. See below. Huge range of what's acceptable by them, but whatever. If I keep the car I'll get a professional to align it.

I've been inflating to 45 psi. But, the rears leak 2 psi per day.

View attachment 969821
The rear settings look perfect BUT what height was this measured and adjusted at? If not at the height you normally drive in (ie measured in medium and driven in low mainly) then the measured alignment and adjustments are all for not.

True. It's measured in medium, all driven in low.
Once the suspension drops for medium to low your camber likely will be in the -2 degree range and your toe will be close to 0 degrees and potentially even negative. Certainly upon acceleration the rear toe will go negative and that is what scrubs that rear tread to sidewall area.

Have it aligned in low and at least get the rear toe in the +15 degree range. Without rear adjustable camber arms you are stuck with non adjustable rear camber.

Reactions: Sam1
I don't think so. They gave me 50 percent credit on my front tires as well because of excessive wear. Mileage warranty is 30k miles, I have 16k miles on them.
They must not be paying attention as their warranty is pretty clear about staggered tires. Maybe they did something good faith for you. I talked to my local tire stores and they were very clear about that policy. Maybe less people have tried to get a credit in your area than mine.

Anyway since I've gone to square 20's it won't be an issue.