Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid+ CANCELLED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In other words, 4680 batteries nowhere in sight...
...or, on the basis of zero information, I've been speculating that the June 10 announcement might feature 4680 batteries in Model S & X Long Range and Performance.
  • Range would far surpass emerging competitive sedans.
  • Late disclosure would catch competitors flat-footed. Ramping up for volume production of a suddenly second-best product.
  • Fast-charge speed would meet or beat the best.
  • With megacastings and structural battery concept in hand, it would be long-range stupidity to lock in a soon-to-be-obsolete battery geometry and chemistry. Consider Munro's reaction when his first look at ID4 exposed VW's decision to base their "new from the ground up" EV platform on a generous portion of sub-par for the purpose on-hand ICE components and designs.
  • Would explain the huge delay in change-over.
Tesla announced plans to use 4680 in MIT (Made In Texas) Model Y. This suggests the chemistry and production are fairly well shaken down. S and X volume are a fraction of 3/Y. Fremont line would be inadequate for mass-market vehicles or Semi, but sufficient for S and X.

Real world road trip range is my objective. If that's what's announced June 10, I'll switch my Plaid+ order to an LR X or S.

Last edited:
Plaid+ did its job - to compete with Lucid announcements (notice the coinciding timing of the Plaid+ announcement). Elon needed it to be able to say "mine is way faster and goes way farther than yours". Now that media focus on Lucid is over, no problem "canceling" the product. They still have the 2020 Roadster on the drawing board in case anyone wants to compare vapourcars.

Last edited:

Sadly, not surprised. Wasn't about the supposed extra performance for most, I think the 500+ miles in range is what would have gotten most people to fork out the extra $30,000 or $40,000 for it. I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen a similar message for FSD. But, I guess why would they when they've got suckers like me that keep forking over $10,000 for it!!! LOL Hopefully some day we'll still see the Semi, Cybertruck and Roadster, two of which were due years ago.

Well, might have worked. I wasn't considering the plaid with plaid+ right around the corner. Now I'm interested. Does anyone know what the kwhr of the battery will be? I hope they aren't going to make the same mistake as the P90D and pull too much from a small battery. 760 kW out of a 100 kwhr battery would seem like a really bad idea. Worse than when they pulled 512 kW out of the 80 kwhr battery in the P90D.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve