Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PLAID damaged by TESLA minutes before delivery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3 months from now, let alone 3 years... no one will care one iota about your door that had a ding repaired.
You are probably right…

BUT I’m the one taking the risk on the money of this car. It’s easy to just dismiss the concern when your money isn’t in it. Just makes me feel a bit uneasy.

I’m going to look at the car when it’s ready, express my concerns to Tesla. I’ll go from there and see what happens.

Reactions: brkaus
You are probably right…

BUT I’m the one taking the risk on the money of this car. It’s easy to just dismiss the concern when your money isn’t in it. Just makes me feel a bit uneasy.

I’m going to look at the car when it’s ready, express my concerns to Tesla. I’ll go from there and see what happens.
I've had that exact scenario. Ding in driver door upon delivery from Chrysler dealer. Assumed paintless could take care of it. They couldn't. So it went to the body shop. Couldn't see any artifact of the repair even in the metallic flake black (yes I have a discerning eye). 3 years later when trading in to Carmax the paint depth gun flagged the door as repaired. They even said it probably happened before we took delivery.... had absolutely no effect on the trade in value....

Perspective. Just saw this on Twitter.

"TTW your good friend orders a new Porsche Cayenne ... and the dealer sends this photo with a note saying it suffered a little damage in transport."

b7fe74X.jpg

Perspective. Just saw this on Twitter.

"TTW your good friend orders a new Porsche Cayenne ... and the dealer sends this photo with a note saying it suffered a little damage in transport."

b7fe74X.jpg
Wow, 😯

I literally said “ F-U-D-GE “ aloud when I saw that. Damn. Good reminder it can always be worse. Turbo S also…. Ouch. I’d be curious to see how that turns out, for obvious reasons. LOL

Maybe I just view things differently but as long as the damage was repaired properly I wouldn't care about any potential loss in value. If you're keeping the car four years or longer, would this make any difference to its resale price? That's really hard to believe.

Absolutely no impact on value whatsoever. If you had any idea how many cars need repairs - including major ones - before delivery, you’d be shocked.

There’s even a legal threshold as to the value of said repairs before they even need to tell you about it.

I can assure you this repair is well, well under that threshold. Even if they had to replace the entire door, it’d still be under the threshold where they’d even have to mention it.

I’m very sorry for the situation, but it’s good that the delivery folks are keeping you so well informed of what’s going on and why. It really will have no impact at all in any way. Not to the value, not to the vehicle, not at all. Even any miles they put on the vehicle; your warranty will begin after that mileage.

It’s normal to have miles on a new car (not just a Tesla - any new car); even up to 100-200 miles. Sometimes they have to be driven to the delivery facility. I’ve bought brand new cars with 200 miles on the odometer before - it was a dealer swap. No problem at all.

So, sit back, relax, wait a few days and you’ll love the car, I promise. And unfortunately, no, they don’t owe you anything — if car companies had to pay out for every pre delivery damage, they’d be broke.
Agreed 100%. So many cars are damaged before delivery and most prospective buyers have no idea. It matters not one bit in terms of resale value. Only if a full-on accident etc shows up on e.g. Carfax does it matter.

Agreed 100%. So many cars are damaged before delivery and most prospective buyers have no idea. It matters not one bit in terms of resale value. Only if a full-on accident etc shows up on e.g. Carfax does it matter.

I just wanted to say - because I don’t think I was clear - I wholly understand how @PLAIDsky feels!! It’s gut wrenching for sure.

But, much like sausage, you’ll enjoy it much more if you never see it being made.

Kinda the same with buying a car. Not just a Tesla, but any car. That Cayenne above will be sold as new once it’s fixed too. And its owner is going to go on and love it. I mean, not as much as @PLAIDsky is going to love his Model S, but, ya know. Still fine for some people I guess. ;-)

I just wanted to say - because I don’t think I was clear - I wholly understand how @PLAIDsky feels!! It’s gut wrenching for sure.

But, much like sausage, you’ll enjoy it much more if you never see it being made.

Kinda the same with buying a car. Not just a Tesla, but any car. That Cayenne above will be sold as new once it’s fixed too. And its owner is going to go on and love it. I mean, not as much as @PLAIDsky is going to love his Model S, but, ya know. Still fine for some people I guess. ;-)
Haha much appreciated!

If only people knew the amount of dings and dents that cars (non-Teslas) get while being transported to their final destination by truck/trailer, fixed by the dealer (key here is dealer, as Tesla do not have nor specialize in body repair) and then sold on lots.

It sucks, but you have 2 legit choices, both preserving your rights and choice. Fix it and enjoy the car.

When I bought my first new car ('92 Miata) I was determined to keep it Perfect Forever. Before inspecting the interior, I set down the drink I'd been offered, since there was to be no food or drink in my car ever. After opening the convertible top, I was rudely reminded that I has set down my soda on the car's roof. The can spun as it fell, spraying onto the body, the dash, and the interior. It landed upside-down, wedged between the seat and the back wall, with an audible glug glug glug of sticky sugar-water soaking the carpet and upholstery.

The dealer saw my horror and quickly helped me clean up, but the experience forced me to accept that it was a pointless exercise to obsess over the car's condition. I still did for awhile (even washing it in the rain lol) but it helped me let go of the things outside of my control, which furthered my enjoyment of driving the car.

Whatever you decide @PLAIDsky, I hope get to enjoy driving your Plaid. You bastard. Give me demo ride lol
92 Miata is a great choice… I currently have a Sunburst 92 I am working on restoring to get it absolutely perfect while I wait for the S to arrive. 😁

Seeing as you’re in Austin, I’ll gladly give you a ride once I get my car! It’s only an LR though 😢

Reactions: CyberGus
I can’t say I fully agree. If you were at say Lowe’s and the employee hit your car with a forklift, or even the employee collecting carts hit your car with a cart while pushing them into the store from the parking lot it would be a Lowe’s thing. Lowe’s would still be responsible for the damage as their employee cause the damage.

This car was in Tesla’s complete care, at their private facility and possession when their employee opened a door and didn’t account for the wind and allowed it to slam into the door of this car that belongs to me as I’ve purchased it.

Completely agree it was an accident but it is very much still a Tesla thing.
This happens everywhere. Obviously not as expensive as a Plaid, but this situation happened to me w/ an Outback and the whole rear panel, and rear driver side door were replaced. It will forever live on Carfax.

I don't fault Subaru for it. The delivery drivers are random contracted truck drivers. This goes for every manufacturer.

[I am a new member here, and to Tesla. I apologize if this isn’t posted in the appropriate category. If that is the case, could a moderator please relocate to the correct location.]

I am soo frustrated, irritated and upset. Literally minutes (less than an hour) before my new Tesla Model S PLAID was to be delivered to me this past Thursday -Oct 28th,Tesla called to tell me that strong wind caught the door of another car and slammed into the side of my car during them prepping the car for delivery. They sent me pics and asked if I wanted the car still delivered or if I wanted to have them keep the car repair it. I already had my PPF, ceramic coating and tint scheduled out well before the delivery date that I had to cancel. The car door hit hard enough that it went completely through the paint and caused 2 points of impact on the door according to the Tesla rep and will require both body and paint work, PDR is not possible.

So here I am now waiting on my car even longer that I have been waiting for months to receive. I’ve already purchased the car and I don’t have it and have to wait at least a week or more longer to receive. My BIGGEST issue is that I am now receiving a new car that has been damaged and will already have both body and paint work done on it post-production. This is much different than a defect from manufacturing. I basically feel like I have purchased a REFURBISHED Model S PLAID at FULL retail price. I am completely disappointed and I’m very dissatisfied at this point.

I feel like I should be offered something from Tesla in this situation. Maybe FSD (which I did not elect to purchase as most seem to think at THIS MOMENT still it’s not all that worth it at least from what I gather) or maybe the upcoming Track Pack wheels that will be coming out sometime soon for the Model S Plaid (the ones they are setting Nürburgring records with).

I just feel like I am being gipped as I’ve paid full retail price on this car just to be delivered to me essentially as a Refurbished vehicle. To add insult to injury im sure they are going to put miles on my brand new car that I had built to take back and forth from their repair facility. This is not a good first experience for me with Tesla, especially at this tier of a purchase.

Anyone else have any experience with a situation like this? Thoughts? Advice?
I’m ears open.

I haven’t officially contacted or approached Tesla yet with my dissatisfaction as I wanted to get some advice first.

Thank you in advance.
Tesla delivered my Plaid in December 2021 with damage to the rear spoiler, which they said they'd have fixed before delivery. Didn't notice they hadn't when I picked it up. I notified them the next day, and it took them till March to get the wrong part. And they just keep showing up with the wrong part, or it disappears from the work order. 9 months later and they just cancelled for the 3rd time this month (after showing up with the wrong part AGAIN on Aug 11th).

Were you able to get a credit or any compensation from Tesla? I can't even get them on the phone.

Anyone interested in filing a class action lawsuit? Let me know.

Tesla delivered my Plaid in December 2021 with damage to the rear spoiler, which they said they'd have fixed before delivery. Didn't notice they hadn't when I picked it up. I notified them the next day, and it took them till March to get the wrong part. And they just keep showing up with the wrong part, or it disappears from the work order. 9 months later and they just cancelled for the 3rd time this month (after showing up with the wrong part AGAIN on Aug 11th).

Were you able to get a credit or any compensation from Tesla? I can't even get them on the phone.

Go to a service center and stop dealing with the mobile techs.

You aren’t going to have any luck with a class action.

How is there a wrong part for the spoiler?

Reactions: Ciaopec
Old vs new S maybe? It’s a restricted part as well, which means there isn’t a pile of them at the service center …
Responding to lbowroom simultaneously, brand new 2022. I wasn't home when they arrived with the wrong part, but it's difficult comprehend how a company founded on image of technological sophistication can't even track inventory. It may be a restricted part, but this is an extraordinary case of incompetence to a degree that crosses the line into neglegence.

See communication screenshots pre-delivery and yesterday's interaction in the Tesla app below.
current-response-text.jpg
Screenshot_20220826-141725_Messages (2).jpg

car.jpg

So, is the problem that they are missing the stick-on carbon fiber spoiler on the deck lid?

Why not just buy an aftermarket one and stick it on? They're like $200. Then, when they finally get the right one in stock, their body shop can pull the aftermarket one off and put the OEM one on if you truly desire to do that.

This seems like much ado about something pretty minor. I get the frustration and clearly, you want them to pay for scorning you, but you've already let this cost you more than its worth in your time, and the stress'll kill ya!

• Disagree
Reactions: byeLT4 and Carnook
So, is the problem that they are missing the stick-on carbon fiber spoiler on the deck lid?

Why not just buy an aftermarket one and stick it on? They're like $200. Then, when they finally get the right one in stock, their body shop can pull the aftermarket one off and put the OEM one on if you truly desire to do that.

This seems like much ado about something pretty minor. I get the frustration and clearly, you want them to pay for scorning you, but you've already let this cost you more than its worth in your time, and the stress'll kill ya!
stop making excuses for Tesla, they are not going to do better until they are held accountable