Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid handling improvements: better wheels, tires, brakes, suspension options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I decided I’m going to Laguna. I’ll do some laps, see the sights…bought trackday insurance so not too much to lose. 😆. Should be good fun, but I don’t plan on pushing hard at all…not looking to potato chip my rotors or dig my car out of a sand trap.
Sweeeet I so wish I could join but I’m selling my M3P this weekend 🥲

@uthatcher please keep us posted how the Plaid does and take photos or videos if you can!!

PS: Do you have stock brakes? If so please be careful before the corkscrew, that’s where my M3P’s stock brakes gave up on me and I almost touched the wall on the way down.. epic.

Sweeeet I so wish I could join but I’m selling my M3P this weekend 🥲

@uthatcher please keep us posted how the Plaid does and take photos or videos if you can!!

PS: Do you have stock brakes? If so please be careful before the corkscrew, that’s where my M3P’s stock brakes gave up on me and I almost touched the wall on the way down.. epic.
Photo shoot:

079DA195-4082-4104-BD78-DCBB9B736619.jpeg

F3693343-7C37-4A43-890F-36E6967FBC69.jpeg

DE43D374-22A2-4190-98BC-2D4EB4433CD8.jpeg

877140BF-65F3-4062-971F-01C7376BD7B4.jpeg

7DA75992-B71F-451F-AED7-C4C04DC88B29.jpeg

D91E4A2F-63F7-48CD-B24D-30F0825352E1.jpeg

I wasn't necessarily suggesting buying from Tesla, just waiting for their research and testing to help determine what parts and pieces might work well. Upgrading cars blind can lead you down a lot of bad and expensive directions as you are well aware. Fun, but not efficient....
I'm not as fearful of brakes but I most certainly get your point and feel your pain. Rotor material is a very well known animal and pads are cheap and easy to go through (as I'm sure most of us have done in the past finding that just right compound). The nice thing for me is that the calipers and related mounting hardware (and disk diameter) all seem more than up to the task. Calipers are the PITA when it comes to making changes and not mistakes. Cooling, on the other hand, is going to be a problem for you track guys. You may need to go carbon/ceramic to have the brakes live up to the battery/motor cooling.

I was washing and waxing my P90DL before giving it to my bud and did a quick experiment. The attached was after 20 minutes. I sprayed water on both car's rotors at the same time and the Plaid NEVER showed any signs of surface corrosion. I'm convinced that disk material is the culprit which means it is time to dismount and measure the Plaid rotor and pick up a two piece solution. If a vendor comes up with something in the iterim, I'll give it a try but it really needs to be in the $500 per set range to compare with off the shelf (like the Audi disks) solutions.
Rotor Rust.JPG

Some quick data from the front rotors.
I get 380mm diameter and 32mm thick which I seem to remember agrees with what others have posted about these disks.
Center of disk to spindle mounting plane is 6.12"
Register ID is 70.18mm
The bell OD is slightly tapered but roughly 7" at the narrowest and running about a .210 wall thickness
Friction surface ID is 263.65mm
Spindle OD is 6.298" or 6.3"

I'm going to see if I can find some bells that will fit. If not, make some.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Some quick data from the front rotors.
I get 380mm diameter and 32mm thick which I seem to remember agrees with what others have posted about these disks.
Center of disk to spindle mounting plane is 6.12"
Register ID is 70.18mm
The bell OD is slightly tapered but roughly 7" at the narrowest and running about a .210 wall thickness
Friction surface ID is 263.65mm
Spindle OD is 6.298" or 6.3"

I'm going to see if I can find some bells that will fit. If not, make some.
These fit? Minus calipers, but I could not find the rotors alone.