Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid handling improvements: better wheels, tires, brakes, suspension options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a heads up that the latest Teslas are using BlueTooth instead of ISM for the TPMS. Anyone heard of this (or am I being had)?
3&Y have been for a long time. The manual shows that the Model S is now too:

1627419744347.png

Cool
If they have been in MY for a while I should be able to source them from the service center :)
Thanks!!

Checking other threads and it appears as though the Tesla BT TPMS have a Tesla ID (but not necessarily tied to a ViN) such that you need to buy Tesla units to be recognized by newer Teslas. No biggie. They appear to be $75 each.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
Electric Dream was spot on. The bleeders even say "Brembo" on them but old man eyes did not catch it the first time around. My buds at Orbit are going to hook me up with Pagid and a few others for some pads to try. Given they are Brembo, this should be a no-brainer to get something with a little more initial bite and probably dusting a bit more. Also going to gently slot the rotors with the pad change as well. Will report with any progress (or lack there of).

I'm working on the offsets to order the rims. Scrapps, The pic I took above was my spare from my previous car. Pics of the rims on that car here-
These hit my value sweet spot. 10 lbs per corner less for an order of magnitude less than forged.
It would still be really useful to see the numbers on the back of the pads. Brembo have historically supplied the HP1000 compound for Tesla pads, which don't have a lot of bite (although proper bedding helps a lot). There has been a new compound in the pipeline for a while which is supposed to be a lot better and I wonder if the Plaid is getting that.

Reactions: FlatSix911
The rotors appear different as well. They have a dull look to them and porosity is finer. I was on the Brembo site looking for rotor data and saw some language about new rotors that have less of a surface corrosion issue. I know I have had to be very careful to lightly tap my brakes on all previous Model S every now and then to make sure I had brakes when I needed them. It's the pad knock back confidence press for surface corrosion.

I wonder if Tesla traded very poor initial bite of lightly corroded rotors for less initial bite and poor feel rotors that do not surface corrode. Pure speculation but that is what my foot and butt are complaining about.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Lowering links incoming
Wheels/tires incoming
Brembo not (yet) playing ball
Thanks for the update!

On my end, while still waiting for my Plaid, I've been communicating with Ben Schaffer (president at Unplugged Performance).

They're working on a partnership with Performance Friction (911 GT3 Cup brake supplier, among others) to build PFC V3 technology 2-piece rotors, and two different pad compounds (one street = quiet, one race = not so quiet) for the Plaid.

That's what they can share for now. "Lots more in the pipeline for Plaid" in the near future though, so I'm sure they'll be working on suspension components as well.

Exciting!

Thanks for the update!

On my end, while still waiting for my Plaid, I've been communicating with Ben Schaffer (president at Unplugged Performance).

They're working on a partnership with Performance Friction (911 GT3 Cup brake supplier, among others) to build PFC V3 technology 2-piece rotors, and two different pad compounds (one street = quiet, one race = not so quiet) for the Plaid.

That's what they can share for now. "Lots more in the pipeline for Plaid" in the near future though, so I'm sure they'll be working on suspension components as well.

Exciting!
Yeah, I've been in dialogue with UP for my custom rims, and they are working on suspension components as well.

Thanks for the update!

Exciting!
Agreed PF makes very nice stuff. They most certainly are an option as well.

I tend to stay away from boutique vendors if only for value reasons. They also tend to take some time to source the parts they resell and it is work I enjoy doing as I like to fully understand things like changes to brakes.
Something like a Brembo 09.9477.23 two piece Audi rotor (retail about $400 for a pair) is likely to be obtainable with the right diameter and hat offset. A worst case scenario is having to clock the hat by 36 degrees and do my own set of stud holes but I'm willing to bet Brembo might even have a hat with the correct offset and a 5 x 120 mm pattern. The key is getting to the right person. AP is also an option but I need data before I can start any of those conversations. Brembo knows what's on the car; I just need to get a tech willing to dig up the part number.

Reactions: omarsultan