Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My only regret is I did not wait a year and buy a plaid at today's prices....
You might be able to dump your LR and upgrade pretty reasonably. I was able to upgrade for just over 20k and with some nice upgrades over mine. For me it was absolutely worth it. If you shop carefully, you might be able to do better than what I did as clean as your MS LR looks. Surprisingly my car insurance went down too.

When I drove the Plaid home, I knew I had made the right choice.

You might be able to dump your LR and upgrade pretty reasonably. I was able to upgrade for just over 20k and with some nice upgrades over mine. For me it was absolutely worth it. If you shop carefully, you might be able to do better than what I did as clean as your MS LR looks. Surprisingly my car insurance went down too.
When I drove the Plaid home, I knew I had made
the right choice.

Ain't gonna happen. My LR PP value is 80k.

Externalized effect of such a decision (Divorce) is too expensive.

Gonna save and maybe when I turn 80, I'll get the Roadster 2.

Its plenty fast I have one! I will never get bored of the smashing the accelerator from a stand still and getting thrown back in your seat. The X and S plaid are 2.5 and 1.99 0-60, m3P is 3.1 as is standard S, MYP is 3.5 they are all stupid fast. Y is 110% more practical as you said. I would have preffered m3P, but not with 2 kids.
The only thing that sucks about the Model Y performance is that they chose to ship the car on 21” wheels with low profile tires - like rubber bands, with hardly any sidewall on COIL SUSPENSION. Ride is rough as hell. Then, to add insult to injury, they decided to stagger the setup so now you can’t regularly rotate the tires to maximize tire life. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

So, in order for me to justify getting a MYP, I would need to drop an additional $4-6k on a squared rim/tire setup and aftermarket suspension - just to make the ride quality bearable.

I just went with a MY-LR and paid $2k for the AB. It’s not as fast as a MYP but it’s still quick and doesn’t ride like a 50 year old wooden roller coaster. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: buckets0fun
Actually right you are!

If I only could hide the 40k missing cash in the bank account..
My point is you can do it for less. Find a used Plaid, heaven knows there are a ton of them out there. My price Delta was $21.2k vs my LR. For that, I got a newer car, with fewer miles, some upgrades (latest lights) and nice wheels. It worked out well for me.

Noe but it does make getting pizza home a bit of a challenge!
1683301087379.jpeg
Nope

The only thing that sucks about the Model Y performance is that they chose to ship the car on 21” wheels with low profile tires - like rubber bands, with hardly any sidewall on COIL SUSPENSION. Ride is rough as hell. Then, to add insult to injury, they decided to stagger the setup so now you can’t regularly rotate the tires to maximize tire life. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

So, in order for me to justify getting a MYP, I would need to drop an additional $4-6k on a squared rim/tire setup and aftermarket suspension - just to make the ride quality bearable.

I just went with a MY-LR and paid $2k for the AB. It’s not as fast as a MYP but it’s still quick and doesn’t ride like a 50 year old wooden roller coaster. 🤷🏻‍♂️
MYP is not a rough ride at all. It’s in line with other sports sedans on low profile tires. Agree with you on the staggered tires.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun

The ride really isn’t that bad. There is huge difference between my friends 21 and my 23. The 21 Uber turbines do look nice. To me the diff in 0-60 was worth the $$

The ride really isn’t that bad. There is huge difference between my friends 21 and my 23. The 21 Uber turbines do look nice. To me the diff in 0-60 was worth the $$
Yea the faster zero to 60 is great and all.. but in the MYP you need to replace the tires every 10,000 miles.. especially if you are demonstrating the faster speed. Not being able to rotate the tires is a HUGE mistake.

The ride quality not “being so bad” is subjective to the locale. On a freshly paved road I’m sure it’s fine. But the moment you get to a bad road the MYP is jarring to drive. I understand that Tesla did not fit the 3/Y with air suspension for many reasons.. but the first 2 production years of the Y have the worst coil suspension I’ve ever had. It’s actually quite shocking how bad my ‘21 LR feels, I understand that the ‘23 model rides much better but this should have been addressed from the jump. A $50-$60k car should not ride worse than a Honda Civic

Last edited:
I have rode in a 2017 X, and currently use a 2022 3 LR. So I have never experienced a 3 second 0-60 and definitely not plaid. Anytime I get the chance I stomp it, but it’s not that exciting because it’s over 4 second 0-60. Do any plaid owners get bored with the acceleration and regret spending the extra money on a plaid V an S Lr. I plan to get a plaid in the future and keeping this in consideration because obviously a plaid is a lot more expensive than the LR

Had my plaid S a year and never get bored of the insane power and torque It’s addicting

Mustangs don’t even try anymore now that the word is out. They get behind you at stoplights instead of next to you. I would do the same.

What is really insane is think 5 years ago and what was fastest stock for around 125k? AMG/M/RS/GT 500. Where will we be in 5 years? 2400 hp sedans and 550 range?
It’s unfortunate, just about everyone won’t even attempt to race a plaid

I have had my Plaid model S for a little over a year now. Did plenty of 'blasts' from a standstill, mostly to show friends, and was almost getting used to it. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I took it out to the local 1/4 mile dragstrip. Holy cow! this thing just keeps pulling you back for the whole 9 - 10 seconds if you are willing to keep your foot in it. There is another whole range of excitement above the 70 mph if you can stay on it. Unfortunately, there are not a whole lot of places where you can try this out. I say the extra money for a Plaid is worth it.

I have had my Plaid model S for a little over a year now. Did plenty of 'blasts' from a standstill, mostly to show friends, and was almost getting used to it. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I took it out to the local 1/4 mile dragstrip. Holy cow! this thing just keeps pulling you back for the whole 9 - 10 seconds if you are willing to keep your foot in it. There is another whole range of excitement above the 70 mph if you can stay on it. Unfortunately, there are not a whole lot of places where you can try this out. I say the extra money for a Plaid is worth it.
Yeah if I were to ever get one, I would take it to the track to test it’s potential. It really is a beast past the road speeds

No. your autonomic system never gets used to those launches.
Absolutely this.

No. Don't slam on the brakes until they are seated properly. No worries on anything else. The brakes will take longer to seat with the rotor because they really aren't used very much.
Brakes are bedded at the factory. If you're concerned, go into service mode and do the burnishing procedure.

The 90 miles thing was more about getting use to the car and its quirks and features. It can go top speed at 1 mile......brakes may get scorched, but that is another issue. I have the 19's now, knowing I would change wheels and probably will stay with 19's....maybe 20's. Steel brakes are fine and they could do 200mph with good steel brakes all day long. Carbon is great for track. Terrible for street. I also wish the car had more regen braking. The Kia in 1 pedal mode was about perfect.
They cannot, should not. It is a ~5k lb under braked, rocket ship. This is very well documented, do one 0-150-55mph run and smell those things crying. Try one lap of a race track and realize you've never been so terrified in your life.

Last edited:
Absolutely this.

Brakes are bedded at the factory. If you're concerned, go into service mode and do the burnishing procedure.

They cannot, should not. It is a ~5k lb under braked, rocket ship. This is very well documented, do one 0-150-55mph run and smell those things crying. Try one lap of a race track and realize you've never been so terrified in your life.

A good reason to jump on the $15k ceramic brakes