Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid X Vibration at beginning of each drive: Who is experiencing this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that it lasts exactly the same number of seconds every time, I think it's due to an intentional change in some part or system. Did they intend the driver to feel the vibration in the pedals? Who knows, but whatever is causing it is intentional.
I do think it’s related to a cold start routine (and the duration / intensity does in fact vary with temperature), but what I’m not convinced about is the vibration being intended. All teslas use the motors to heat things up on cold starts, but only the 22+ Plaids have a perceptible vibration. I wouldn’t be surprised if they fat fingered some parameter with a new revision of the inverters that’s gone uncorrected so far.

Two different Tesla techs told me my MXP cold vibration at the beginning of each drive is due to an interaction between the suspension and the “stiffer tires” these EVs use and disappears when tire warms up - i.e. they seem to chalk it up to some sort of tire temperature related resonance. When I pointed out my tires are aftermarket and not stock and are not EV recommended, they shrugged it off. I’m more inclined to think it’s a battery heat pump thing but not sure.

I do think it’s related to a cold start routine (and the duration / intensity does in fact vary with temperature), but what I’m not convinced about is the vibration being intended. All teslas use the motors to heat things up on cold starts, but only the 22+ Plaids have a perceptible vibration. I wouldn’t be surprised if they fat fingered some parameter with a new revision of the inverters that’s gone uncorrected so far.

Mine doesn't vary. It either happens or it doesn't. It happens if it's been more than about a day. If I park overnight in the snow in 20F overnight temps, it doesn't happen if I parked it just the night before. It only ever happens if I skip a day or more of driving and then it doesn't matter what the temperature has been. My '22 MXP was identical.

Mine doesn't vary. It either happens or it doesn't. It happens if it's been more than about a day. If I park overnight in the snow in 20F overnight temps, it doesn't happen if I parked it just the night before. It only ever happens if I skip a day or more of driving and then it doesn't matter what the temperature has been. My '22 MXP was identical.
Parked 10 hours at work is sufficient to trigger it for me. Definitely more intense in below freezing temps.

Today, one of our warmest days here so far, I hardly noticed it.

Yep a few hours is enough. Something I should try is chill mode - it wonder if Plaid mode requires battery to get quickly warmed up. Also I can’t switch to full rear bias as in track mode enabled S but curious if S that has this, would rid of it in full rear bias similar to other vibration that filled multiple forum pages and that doesn’t go away.

Yep a few hours is enough. Something I should try is chill mode - it wonder if Plaid mode requires battery to get quickly warmed up. Also I can’t switch to full rear bias as in track mode enabled S but curious if S that has this, would rid of it in full rear bias similar to other vibration that filled multiple forum pages and that doesn’t go away.
It’s still there in Chill. It affects every single 2022-2024+ S/X.

Reactions: NeuroRad
Not sure if this is the same thing, but I get this rattle with my late 2022 MXP, it's different from the half)shaft issue I had on my previous MXP100DL, that was more judder, this should more like something loose or driving on cobbles

It happens under acceleration and is more pronounced when cold, by still persists at a lower volume even when warmed up. I recorded it:

I've been to Tesla service twice for this and they claim it's "normal" or "in spec", of course

"Performed several test drives in several conditions, inspected front suspension and front halfshafts, noise is not loud enough to be outside of Tesla specs."

Mine has never once had this startup vibration parked for only 10 hours....not even in the snow. Perhaps there's more than one issue with similar symptoms.
You have a 2024 right? Wouldn't be surprised if they altered the cold start behavior with the "efficiency package" configuration the 24s have. But yeah, being parked for a single shift at work (so 10 hours for me) definitely enough to consistently cause the vibration to occur. And much more noticeable in the cold than in the warm, to the point that I sometimes forget it's a thing when I take the car out on these warmer days.

Reactions: SDRick
I posted this elsewhere and is a bit off topic - but hopefully some members here can give me response. Does any of your Model X or S exhibit this front wheel real time suspension measurement difference? Right front is consistently higher than left front during driving (where it varies) or parked on relatively flat surface like in the picture. My right front half shaft was replaced but I never paid attention to these before. These measurements are in ver low - car is not modified with lowering links.

Attachments

• IMG_1956.jpeg
    IMG_1956.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 8
You have a 2024 right? Wouldn't be surprised if they altered the cold start behavior with the "efficiency package" configuration the 24s have. But yeah, being parked for a single shift at work (so 10 hours for me) definitely enough to consistently cause the vibration to occur. And much more noticeable in the cold than in the warm, to the point that I sometimes forget it's a thing when I take the car out on these warmer days.
Yes but it doesn't seem be any different than my '22 MXP in behavior.

At this point I am of the opinion that the vibration is some sort of initialization of some component. I am thinking ABS module or battery coolant pump running at full tilt to get the flow going. Who knows. They did move the routine further into the drive- it used to be at the very beginning of each drive it is now after about 60 seconds into the drive.