Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid X Vibration at beginning of each drive: Who is experiencing this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still think this is the heat pump warming up some component of the drivetrain when it is on the cool side. I notice it more when the ambient temps are lower. But it is definitely "normal" as in Tesla has programmed it to do this. It is not mechanical IMO as the frequency does not change with speed. I feel strongly that it's electrical and as I said I think it's the heat pump.
Why would the heat pump only create this vibration when actually driving? And why, also, does it not affect 2021 cars?

Why would the heat pump only create this vibration when actually driving? And why, also, does it not affect 2021 cars?
I have no idea. Clearly Tesla changed something in the 2022 and later cars. I wonder if they are doing something with the coolant to generate heat for the heat pump to use when the rest of the car is cold? My old Jeep Liberty diesel had a viscous heater - a mechanical device that would mechanically agitate the coolant to heat it up more quickly. I wonder if Tesla is doing something similar where they close certain valves to keep coolant inside the battery or drivetrain to cause it to heat more quickly? Or it's using the heat pump normally to bring the drivetrain up to temp when cold but doesn't start until you actually start driving (would be extra wear and tear to start it every time you opened the door).

Someone else had this added to their service request. Check out my post here:

The fix might be coming. Really hope so!
Screenshot 2023-10-29 073456.jpg

I remember reading about range mode operation changing the motor operation that reduced vibrations

• Informative
Reactions: Neon001
v2023.44? Does that even exist yet? Notateslaapp isn't reporting anything higher than 2023.38.

This seems like progress, at least. I'd gladly trade 2 mi of range for a fix if I have this issue when I take delivery.

v2023.44? Does that even exist yet? Notateslaapp isn't reporting anything higher than 2023.38.

This seems like progress, at least. I'd gladly trade 2 mi of range for a fix if I have this issue when I take delivery.
Nobody has gotten it yet. Also, I wouldn’t take two miles of range hit for fix for the vibration that lasts 2 minutes at a start of a drive. Definitely will take it for the persistent 40-50mph vibration that’s there 100% of the time. Suspect the two are related so hopefully both are reduced significantly. We’ll see by the end of the week.

Reactions: SDRick
I had my service appointment today, and it was a complete bust! When I made the appointment, they stated that an update was going to be applied and the advisor was familiar with the issue and the software fix. After about 30 minutes, I received the notification that my car was ready for pickup. I went back onto the SC floor and the tech told me that they couldn't apply the update and that the "fix" would be included in 2023.44 so I'd have to wait until that OTA update has been pushed out. 🤣

I'm currently on 2023.32.100.1 and enabled the FSD trial when I took delivery so will I have to "opt out" to receive 2023.44?

IMG_6579.PNG

I had my service appointment today, and it was a complete bust! When I made the appointment, they stated that an update was going to be applied and the advisor was familiar with the issue and the software fix. After about 30 minutes, I received the notification that my car was ready for pickup. I went back onto the SC floor and the tech told me that they couldn't apply the update and that the "fix" would be included in 2023.44 so I'd have to wait until that OTA update has been pushed out. 🤣

I'm currently on 2023.32.100.1 and enabled the FSD trial when I took delivery so will I have to "opt out" to receive 2023.44?

View attachment 987558
Not a bust just normal;)

• Funny
Reactions: theslimshadyist
My S doesn't do it, but my brand new X certainly does.
Give the S some more miles, I suspect it will develop as it has with others. Many also have it right from delivery - first drive. I've just made the decision to sell mine and move on, sans aggravation, as Tesla calls it normal and will do nothing. They even stopped replacing half shafts and giving Uber credits. Definitely time to move beyond Tesla (for me).

Reactions: theslimshadyist
Give the S some more miles, I suspect it will develop as it has with others. Many also have it right from delivery - first drive. I've just made the decision to sell mine and move on, sans aggravation, as Tesla calls it normal and will do nothing. They even stopped replacing half shafts and giving Uber credits. Definitely time to move beyond Tesla (for me).
If you bought the car new, they will buy it back from you, likely for much better than you can do selling it used.

• Disagree
Reactions: jebinc
My brand new MSP does it just like my MXP did. It's a grind you can feel in the pedal if it's been more than a day since driving for the first minute. It's always the same amount of time and then abruptly stops, so it's not any sort of mechanical defect. It's some sort of startup calibration that occurs if it's been more than x time since driving. Not sure why anything perceives this as a defect.