Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pleather for all...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a joke. If you happen to not eat meat or feel no harm should come to animals I respect your opinion and you should have the choice to minimize your impact on animal life on earth. I happen to not share that opinion, and a six figure car with fake leather will only make Tesla loose more sales.

I think the joke here is the never ending inability of educated adults to know that one loses loose change between the couch cushions. Sort of deflates the righteous indignation rant.

Great move from Tesla. We as humanity have evolved far enough to not require dead animal skin in our cars. It's Tesla's free choice to skip leather and I think it's a great move.

In a not so distant future people will frown upon you when you have dead animals in your car, same as that people don't accept fur anymore or crocodile leather shoes and such.

Regarding meat, well, you don't need it at all. Yes, it's very tasty, but don't believe the myth that you actually need it. I eat meat once a week because a like eating a great steak, but I really don't need meat.

Super dumb move, along with the confusing new 'premium' which costs more and has almost nothing...everything was either made standard or was leather and no longer available.

Also, ironically the vinyl is made with oil while the cowhide is indefinitely sustainable! ;)

Ultimately, it's Tesla's decision, and while I won't be buying another one now, maybe they can make it up with greeny sales. I suspect the market will speak.

Super dumb move, along with the confusing new 'premium' which costs more and has almost nothing...everything was either made standard or was leather and no longer available.

Also, ironically the vinyl is made with oil while the cowhide is indefinitely sustainable! ;)

Ultimately, it's Tesla's decision, and while I won't be buying another one now, maybe they can make it up with greeny sales. I suspect the market will speak.

The market will speak indeed, my next vehicle if this one lasts should be within 5 years. There will be plenty of options, Audi, Porsche, Volvo, etc...

Reactions: sjoshuaj
The competition is coming, its just one more checkmark against Tesla.
I am long TSLA. In my opinion, Tesla not offering leather seats will have no significant impact on its growth or market share. The synthetic seat material looks good, feels great and wears extremely well. Potential buyers sitting on the seats in showroom cars will be impressed.

I am long TSLA. In my opinion, Tesla not offering leather seats will have no significant impact on its growth or market share. The synthetic seat material looks good, feels great and wears extremely well. Potential buyers sitting on the seats in showroom cars will be impressed.

I sold my TSLA stock, it had a great run. Now its time for it to come back to reality. I knew it was going to have a decent run up to model 3 release, but now comes the negative press. From real delivery numbers, to issues, conversion numbers, etc... If it hits 220 I might jump back in

It does not matter with me if its leather or a good substitute. They are charging the same amount for either one. Does the synthetic material cost the same as leather to them? I saw the white material on a Model X and it seemed nice.

We are omnivores , protein feeding our increased capacity brain is what made us dream up and accomplish our current civilization. If we are going to eat the animal we might as well use all parts. Cow hide falls under that, killing minks or seals just for the fur falls under another category.
You couldn't be more wrong. The evidence overwhelmingly supports the fact that humans are plant eaters, not omnivores. From the length of our digestive tract, to the shape and configuration of our teeth, to the way we digest, extending to the way we see colors all support the fact that we not designed to eat meat. Please don't use the "omnivore" myth to justify your meat-eating behavior. If you want to eat meat because you like it, then great - do what you like. But at least be honest about why you are doing it. You aren't doing it because you will be protein deficient if you don't. You aren't doing it to have a larger brain, clearly. And you aren't doing it because of some biological imperative built into your DNA code. No, you eat meat because you grew up eating meat, have been conditioned to eating meat, and like the flavor and texture.

I am against the exploitation of animals and I support this move by Tesla. What I don't support is Tesla charging the same for this as leather. But then again, Tesla's leather sucked. I wouldn't be surprised if this cost more than Tesla's crappy leather, but it certainly can't cost more than the top-of-the-line leathers used in competing vehicles? I plead ignorance here, as I don't know enough about this industry.

It does not matter with me if its leather or a good substitute. They are charging the same amount for either one. Does the synthetic material cost the same as leather to them? I saw the white material on a Model X and it seemed nice.
If it is the material that other speculated it is, it retails for about $70 a yard. Not quite what real Alcantara costs but it's an expensive material none the less.

The competition is coming, its just one more checkmark against Tesla. Some will argue an apple watch is better because it has much higher functionality, others that a Patek Philippe is better because it was assembled over a certain period of time by one person. To each their own, the market speaks.
The problem I have with this analogy is that you're comparing one product that's basically jewelry masquerading as a timepiece produced in small quantities, to another product that keeps better time, has more functionality, and is produced in comparably huge quantities by a wildly successful company that's sitting on mountains of cash.

Note: Personally, I don't really like the Apple Watch and, yes, I'm pretty sure that Patek Philippe still offers some quartz movement watches... Both of these details are beside the point. I don't like watches. ;)

Having no experience with Tesla's synthetic seat material, I can't comment on its quality or lack thereof. (As an aside, I will say that I have had no problems with the (gray) leather in my 70D, and in particular have never seen the type of wrinkling that seems to be common in leather seats for cars built more recently.)
But one thing that does surprise me a bit is that Tesla does not say what its seat material is. I would have thought they would make that clear, so that a prospective buyer would know the seat is or is not leather in case that matters to them. I suspect that many "newbies" would assume wrongly that the "premium" seats would be leather, and they might be disappointed when they discover otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.