Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plugging into random 110 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's theft and this kind of thing will not help the image of EV drivers. We already have an uphill battle: I once parked at an EV-only charging spot in a public parking lot and a woman in a nearby ICE made a snide remark at how she wished she had a parking spot reserved for her too. Imagine when she hears from a local merchant that an EV driver plugged into his company's wall without asking. I can imagine her telling her friends "If EVs are so functional, why do owners need to resort to stealing electricity? No wonder they EVs are economical if they go around plugging in everywhere they feel like it!"

I wasn’t thinking of using them as an every day plug, just if I’m at work and we get 10 inches of snow, I’m stuck at the mall lot in -1° F temperatures trying to stay warm in the car until the plows com through and clear the roads for a 50 mile drive home

Reactions: Canuck
I wasn’t thinking of using them as an every day plug, just if I’m at work and we get 10 inches of snow, I’m stuck at the mall lot in -1° F temperatures trying to stay warm in the car until the plows com through and clear the roads for a 50 mile drive home

That's what I assumed -- in need of a charge and there's no other options. It's like when I'm in court out of town all day, and I need the electrons from the 120 volt outlet to make it to next charger, home, or to get to my cabin -- or else it isn't going to happen and I need to take my Tahoe hybrid instead of my Tesla. My answers throughout this thread were predicated on the fact that you only borrow electrons out of an necessity and it should never be about saving a buck -- or you've not only lost my support but you're a leech on society we can all do without.

In any event, good respectful debate in this thread and people make reasonable arguments for both sides. Like many things in life, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, just different perspectives, all of which we should keep an open mind to, at least in my view.

Leave a number on the windshield to call. That should be sufficient if you cant find anyone.

Sounds like a great answer to me in those situations where's there's some doubt about use.

Reactions: fasteddie7
There was some thread on here about 3 years ago--I do not recall what it was. I pointed out that when I was a boy in the '50s-'60s, my friends and I would snatch several gulps of water from a garden hose that was outside someone's house when it was hot outside. We did not trash their yards; we just walked up the walkway, turned on the spigot, slurped, turned off the spigot, and walked back to the street. A couple of people claimed that this was theft, and posited that we had a sense of entitlement. Sorta hard to measure the amount of theft--in those days water was around 1.5 - 2 cents per 100ft^3, so clearly the "theft" was less than a mill.

Yeah, I get it. One person does this and the next you know, everybody and his cousin are doing it. Charging cables are everywhere. It is now a hazard to walk near all those electric vehicles while the crowd gathers round to point and deride and shame all those freeloaders. The local news will show up. "PEOPLE STEALING ELECTRICITY FROM MALL!!! STORY AT ELEVEN!"

Like a lot of things in our lives, common sense, moderation, courtesy, consideration, and reasonableness should prevail. Leave your phone number with a note explaining what and why. Make a concerted (but not crazy) effort to secure permission or at least notify someone like security of your intention.

Perhaps the best solution would be to approach the management of the center to install a couple of L2 chargers near those 120V plugs. Ya never know!