Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plugless Power for Model S wireless charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the video it's too much of a pain and takes too long to align the car just right with the pad:

Now if Summon could only work with the system to automatically align to the pad, then I could see this being useful provided that there isn't a lot of loss due to the induction distance. And there's have to be a way to get rid of the cable or it would be a tripping hazard even when the car isn't parked and charging.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's 6.6 kW and they said the losses are around 11%. That's not bad at all for wireless charging.

Actually they say that the Model S version is a 7.2kW charger: "Powerful 7.2kW wireless charging" and "Same charging time as a 7.2kW Level 2 corded charger". They, also, say to put it on a 50A breaker and that it delivers 30A to the car. If it draws at the capacity of the circuit, 40A, then it has a 25% loss.

It will be interesting to see if it will work with summon. (Once they release the AWD version.)

From the video it's too much of a pain and takes too long to align the car just right with the pad:

Now if Summon could only work with the system to automatically align to the pad, then I could see this being useful provided that there isn't a lot of loss due to the induction distance. And there's have to be a way to get rid of the cable or it would be a tripping hazard even when the car isn't parked and charging.

How is this easier than plugging in the Tesla connector? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings! (first, important disclosures: I work for Plugless, and we created this accessory independently from Tesla Motor Company). I am here to offer information only when needed and to do my best not to do the hard sell. Warning TL;DR.

Yes, earlier this week we opened early reservations for Plugless 7.2kW hands-free charging to Tesla owners who had previously asked us about Plugless for Tesla. These Tesla owners had learned about our 1[SUP]st[/SUP] generation 3.3kW system for the Leaf, Volt and ELR. We expect to begin shipping Tesla 7.2kW units in April for RWD models and then later in the year for D “AWD" models.
The video posted above shows an early demo unit from 2014 provided as part of a limited test when we trialed a reseller model (the folks demonstrating are great, independent enthusiasts who were a part of the reselling trial and not part of the Plugless team). That early unit had a navigation issue due to faulty hardware that was corrected when replaced it with a working unit. In Tesla terms, that was our "Self-opening door locks” issue that cropped up in the signature series.

As far as technical specifics on alignment - Plugless allows for ~4-6” of misalignment front, in any direction. On top of that, the Vehicle Adapter for Tesla S is towards the front of the vehicle, which improves the simplicity of alignment for the driver. We expect that many Tesla owners will choose to engage the summon feature, as well, and with Plugless, Tesla will park and charge itself totally hands free.

Actually they say that the Model S version is a 7.2kW charger: "Powerful 7.2kW wireless charging" and "Same charging time as a 7.2kW Level 2 corded charger". They, also, say to put it on a 50A breaker and that it delivers 30A to the car. If it draws at the capacity of the circuit, 40A, then it has a 25% loss.

It will be interesting to see if it will work with summon. (Once they release the AWD version.)

It is correct in that Plugless for Tesla S is a 7.2kW charger and a true one at that, meaning it will charge at the same rate as a 7.2kW charger. However, calculating Plugless efficiency using the same method as a corded charger doesn’t translate to inductive charging.

We prefer to have independent 3rd party testing to point to for our efficiency claims. These tests are not yet completed for our 7.2kW Tesla system – but internal tests indicate we’ll achieve very close to the same efficiency as our 3.3kW system, which we typically express as compared to corded chargers. Our 3.3kW system is roughly 12% to 15% less efficient than equivalent power corded systems. Here is the U.S. Dept. of Energy, Idaho National Laboratory data on the Plugless 3.3kW charger – INL conducted more than 8,700 separate tests on Plugless: http://avt.inl.gov/pdf/evse/PLUGLESSEvatranStandaloneTestResultsFactSheet.pdf - we'll have similar 3rd-party testing data for the 7.2kW system.

Should you trust me (again, I am with the manufacturer, so grain of salt time...), all of the Plugless customer comments on this page of our site are unsolicited: https://www.pluglesspower.com/pgls_community_post/plugless-customer-reviews/.

Plugless isn’t about saving a few seconds here or there, because that’s not a reason to go Plugless. EV owners have come to us for a variety of reasons, many park outdoors, some have physical limitations, some hate their cords, some like the cool factor, and yes some are forgetful (or tell us their spouse is). And we’ve learned something from way back in 2014 when we began selling Plugless. Our owners conceptually understand the convenience of hands-free charging, but after a few weeks with Plugless, it becomes more about the capability to forget about “refueling” their vehicle altogether – they tell us all the time that they NEVER want to go back to plugging in.

Our owners conceptually understand the convenience of hands-free charging but after a few weeks or a month of Plugless, it hits them that they find themselves forgetting about “refueling” their vehicle altogether and that blows them away – they tell us all the time, they NEVER want to go back to plugging in. For them, Plugless is the perfect hand-free compliment to the EV lifestyle.

Here’s a "company mission” part of this post which I think Tesla owners get more than most. I wrote “refueling” above for a reason - we are in this to help the massive adoption of EVs. We get regular comments that people bought or became serious about purchasing EVs because we exist. We know nearly all EV manufacturers get consumer feedback that perceptions (right or wrong) of “cord wrangling” prevent more EV sales (the OEMs tell us this) and they all have eyes on one hands-free solution or another.

But you don’t need me to tell you this – it was a topic of discussion on this very forum, just this week:

I worked the Tesla booth yesterday from about 10 am to 5 pm and will be back again on Friday. I spoke to many people yesterday and it still ranges from the curious/skeptical to all-in enthusiasts. Even with long range EVs, the skeptics' concern is mainly about "forgetting" to charge and then getting stranded. One guy I spoke with said he'd only get an EV if he could install an inductive charging unit in his garage so that he can just drive in and forget about it (there is such an after-market solution available).

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/62171-Model-X-at-the-Toronto-Auto-Show/page5

Should you have any questions, feel free to contact us directly at [email protected]

Last edited:
Thanks for coming in Steve. I'm not a customer just yet (AWD), but might be in the future depending on the cost. I have the 80A HPWC at home so home use won't be that much of an option, but at the office it might be great.

Can you tell us the full cost?

Thanks for coming in Steve. I'm not a customer just yet (AWD), but might be in the future depending on the cost. I have the 80A HPWC at home so home use won't be that much of an option, but at the office it might be great.

Can you tell us the full cost?

My pleasure. Good question - the reservation is $244 and will allow reservation holders (AWD or RWD) to get a discounted price of $2,440 on their first in the world, 7.2kW hands-free charging system. The full price after reservations will be more but we aren’t ready to announce that (read: we haven’t set the final price yet).

- - - Updated - - -

Also, does installation of the receiver have any effect on Tesla's warranty?

Also a great question. First, you should know we have installed Plugless on EVs all across the US and Canada stretching back to the first customers in early 2014, and we have never had a single customer have an issue with the vehicle warranty coverage from Nissan, Chevrolet or Cadillac.

We’ve designed our system so that Plugless changes nothing about the amazing functionality of your Tesla, this includes all programming (e.g. charge timing, summon) and physically (e.g. you can use your charge port out in the world – but it won’t be quite as cool). Further, we don’t cut, drill, snap or otherwise break anything on your Tesla in the installation of Plugless, we do that so it is fully reversible back to factory condition. That allows us to offer a 45-day ANY reason return after your Plugless system is delivered (and we pay for all the costs to remove Plugless).

As I mentioned above, we developed Plugless independently as an aftermarket accessory, without the involvement of Tesla Motors. Plugless, like other premium aftermarket accessories, does not impact the vehicle’s warranty simply by being installed. But of course it’s a concern that’s raised, which is why we offer a 3-year warranty with a clause that specifies that should our system affects the warranty of your EV we’ll pay both parts and labor to make it right. https://www.pluglesspower.com/limited-warranty/

Steve, congrats on the impending release and thanks for taking the time to answer questions here.

Are you able to discuss just how the receiver hooks in to the car electrically? The specs say "J1772 EVSE emulation" which I take to mean that the receiver outputs J1772, which the car then consumes exactly as if you had plugged something in to the charge port. If I got that right, my question is, how and where does the receiver actually make that connection to the car?

So is this modification something we as owners do? Or were do we go to have it done?

From the specs page: "Vehicle Adapter installed by our network of certified technicians — at no cost to you"

For the Volt/Leaf/Cadillac they say you can have it installed at a dealer. Obviously Tesla isn't going to play ball with this.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you able to discuss just how the receiver hooks in to the car electrically? The specs say "J1772 EVSE emulation" which I take to mean that the receiver outputs J1772, which the car then consumes exactly as if you had plugged something in to the charge port. If I got that right, my question is, how and where does the receiver actually make that connection to the car?

I'm curious about this too, I have to assume that they insert their equipment between the charge port and the rest of the car. So that when you drive over one of their pads it disconnects the charge port and "plugs in" their J1772 EVSE.

I just wonder how it all works with a Tesla. If it is charging and you want to leave, how do you tell it to stop charging and "unplug"?