TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Plugless Power Now Available to Reserve for the Tesla Model S

Discussion in 'News' started by Electric700, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Electric700

Electric700 Member

2. Vince Cobelo

Vince Cobelo Member

You first. Let us know how it goes. :smile:

3. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

I'm sticking with our Tesla HPWC since the Plugless charge rate is only 20 miles per hour... ~ 12 hours to recharge our P85D.

4. Kbra

Kbra Member

I wonder what the energy losses are on transmitting 30A over the air.

5. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I'm sorry, but 7.2kW wireless charging is a pipe dream on any "coming soon" timescale (it says Spring 2016), even "Tesla-time". I'll get a regular, bare bones production-level Model 3 before this is actually delivers for use on a Model S.

6. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

Nikola Tesla had a dream that Power could come to homes wirelessly.

Plugless power have already achieved success with the Volt and Leaf @ 3.3KW so I think this is a good next step for them, certainly not a pipe dream.

7. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

Until Tesla releases the 'snake-bot' charger, this would be a nice complement to 'summons' parking in the garage.

8. Vince Cobelo

Vince Cobelo Member

When someone is asking for money without showing a prototype or at least information about the engineering vision it is nothing to get excited about.

Inductive charging can work and do it well (hearing aids are a example) but the transmitter and receiver need to be very close together. Further apart the energy loss is exponentially greater.

For fully autonomous driving fleets they'll have to figure something out. In the meantime, I find it satisfying somehow when I plug into the car whether it is at home or away.

9. Electric700

Electric700 Member

I agree with you there. The Plugless Power charging rate at 7.2 kW should be plenty for me, because I could get a full charge from zero in about 12.5 hours (90 kWh/7.2 kW), which I don't think I would even need. Using a 14-50/9.6 kW outlet, it's about 9.5 hours (90 kWh/9.6 kW) from zero.

10. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I am happy to be wrong. but I don't see Spring 2016 (1-4 months) as realistic. :)

11. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

I'll wait for Tesla to engineer it into their own cars.

12. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Why all the hate? Wireless charging is not for me, due to losses, but why wouldn't the company be able to pull it off? They have working systems for other EVs. They say it's J1772 emulation so the car doesn't "know" it's being charged wirelessly. Would be interesting though to know how they are going to wire the thingamajing in to the car and for example have it accept a charge without the charge port open or a cable physically plugged in. It's either they have worked with Tesla to create an option for this in the firmware (seems unlikely) or that they are somehow plugging in to the charger CAN-bus or some such thing emulating it, or maybe hijacking the actual sensors in the charge port and charge port door to fool the car?

13. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

I totally believe it will work. I also believe it's the future - and that Tesla is most likely working on a solution. I just believe their solution will be better. In the meantime I don't want to invest in the equipment from one company when I will probably prefer the Tesla product.

14. bigbadboy

bigbadboy Member

Agree. :biggrin:

15. pthill65

pthill65 Member

In their FAQ system they quote 12% less efficiency than a plugged system. That may well be pretty good as an engineering goal, and I would like it from a convenience standpoint, but since a big reason I'm doing the whole electric car thing is conservation, I probably won't pursue it myself. Get it down to 5% and I probably would. Snake charger? Now you're talking!

Frequently Asked Plugless Questions

16. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I'd be a bit leery of having a J1772 emulator system installed in our Tesla by any third party. If it had problems, the consequences could be extremely expensive, not to mention dangerous.

17. Kbra

Kbra Member

It's more of a cool to have vs. need to have. People will buy it but i dont think it a be all that popular.

18. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Wireless Transfer Distance: 4 in (10 cm)

uh ok well you might as well just plug it in.

19. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

You were expecting to be able to "beam" energy to a car in your detached garage from your house? Of course it has to sit right on top of it. That's not the point. The point is, you don't have to think about plugging it in anymore. Which would be a nice compliment to the auto summon, once they move on from the "baby step."

20. Buckeye2320

Buckeye2320 Member

Then why did everyone give Telsa all their money before we even saw a Model S, then we all went and did it again with the Model X, and how many are ready to do it again on March 31st of the Model 3???