Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do want to add my .02 regarding the rumors that giga austin will start with the LR because thats what was seen being loaded up on the truck heading out for crash testing.

My question to you is, when have you ever seen a ROUSH or a SHELBY Mustang get crash tested?

It wont happen, crash testing a mustang in similar config with cheaper accessories is just as fine from the many videos I seen.
Honestly what difference is some expensive rims or red calipers, chrome pedals and carbon fiber spoiler will offer on a crash test?

My honest opinion is that Giga Austin will produce both variables of the MY.

I have been reading all this anti tesla hate coming from the government that will make other non owners hate our brand. I am also hoping the certifications are not delayed and we see vehicles being delivered around the beginning of Q2.
Anti-Tesla hate from the government? Nah. The worst you can say is that Musk didn’t get an invite to the White House or a shout out about what a great job Tesla has done. The admin is very pro-EV. They also happen to be pro-union, which is why so much attention has been showered on GM and Ford. But hate? I just don’t see it.

anti-government hate for Tesla? I’d need to see proof. The president not being thrilled about mentioning Tesla isn’t hate, it’s him keeping Musk at arms length for mounting off about bills the president supported. that/s not hate, it’s common sense. And, regardless, that has nothing to do with gigafactory, our deliveries etc. which is what this thread’s about.
The nomination by Biden of Missy Cummings to NHTSA was aggressively anti Tesla. There's no other way to spin it.

The nomination by Biden of Missy Cummings to NHTSA was aggressively anti Tesla. There's no other way to spin it.
It was stupid, but it was pro-union, not anti-tesla. everything pro-gm and pro-ford is not done for motives of hating Tesla. no matter how stupid. she backed his bills. if Elon played politics, he’d have had that seat. He doesn’t and good on him for that, but that is the reality of it.
As a CEO he would do his company a great deal of good by at least being neutral and ignoring politics and bills he can’t do anything about anyway.
And for the umpteenth time, this has zero to do with gigafactory getting its actual production going. I was responding to a gratuitous partisan political comment.

Last edited:
It was stupid, but it was pro-union, not anti-tesla. everything pro-gm and pro-ford is not done for motives of hating Tesla. no matter how stupid. she backed his bills. if Elon played politics, he’d have had that seat. He doesn’t and good on him for that, but that is the reality of it.
As a CEO he would do his company a great deal of good by at least being neutral and ignoring politics and bills he can’t do anything about anyway.
People go to great lengths to rationalize the beliefs they want to have.

People go to great lengths to rationalize the beliefs they want to have.

GM has no tax credit.
Ford now has fewer than 40k sales remaining until they hit 200,000.

They couldn't give GM their tax credit back without giving it to Tesla as well.
And they needed to expand the window to help Ford.

The only way to tip the scales to GM and Ford was through union rules.
And because the Mach E is made in Mexico, they had to defer any "Made in USA" rules.

And of course tif there's an MSRP limit, it has to be high because Ford and GM are going to be coming in with high-priced vehicles.
It is not about tipping the scales to ford and gm, it is about tipping the scales to Biden’s union supporters. benefits to ford and gm aren’t the intent, even if they were part of the result. In my mind even tax credits aren’t going to help GM, it is so poorly run. Ford will maybe pull it out, with or without credits. The transition to EV required the kind of bold thinking Elon could bring and their corporate suites could not.

GM has no tax credit.
Ford now has fewer than 40k sales remaining until they hit 200,000.

They couldn't give GM their tax credit back without giving it to Tesla as well.
And they needed to expand the window to help Ford.

The only way to tip the scales to GM and Ford was through union rules.
And because the Mach E is made in Mexico, they had to defer any "Made in USA" rules.

And of course tif there's an MSRP limit, it has to be high because Ford and GM are going to be coming in with high-priced vehicles.
I'm not going to be dragged into turning this into a political debate. I will say I agree that this is a pro-Ford/GM/Union thing and not an anti-Tesla thing and I will not speak further on this.

NOW PLEASE LETS TALK ABOUT THE BUILDING IN TEXAS

Not to turn this into a political debate but it is the bill from the left that is trying to give us Tesla owners a $7500 tax rebate and proposing investing $5B in electric infrastructure

Tesla is neither a left or right thing....

Now....has there been anything new learned from the drone videos?
The admin is picking winners and losers, no other way around it. 7500 for Tesla, 12500 for Ford and GM. The argument that its pro-GM/pro-Ford/pro-union and not anti-Tesla doesn't hold water when you're giving that much of an economic edge to others and shafting Tesla in the process.

The biggest thing though is that it took over a year for the president to even acknowledge the existence of Tesla, meanwhile practically campaigning for Ford and GM. It's ridiculous.

In closing, I wouldn't use the BBB bill as evidence of anything beyond how far the administration is willing to go to support unions and shaft the rest of us. They couldn't even propose a revised version that eliminated union provisions when Manchin took exception to it - it's so entrenched it seemed to be something they refused to give ground on. It's silly.

Last edited:

He is going way too far down the conspiracy rabbit hole.
Is it a "conspiracy" to criticize the authoritarian moves of Prime Minister Trudeau? Especially when Trudeau was cheering on and vocally supporting the Indian farmers who were protesting with blockades in India last year?

And why is everybody angry about Elon comparing some politician to Hitler anyway? You do realize many many people has compared Trump to Hitler? Where was your outrage then?

Musk’s support of a trucker convoy waving swastikas

About that swastika. Yes there was one guy on day one who was walking with it. Do you want to know why? Listen to the first 2 minutes of this video.

After that misunderstanding, people have only being waving patriotic flags (Canadian and Quebecois) since. Nonetheless the smear continues because the counter protesters have no interest in truth, only in scoring rhetorical points. FYI That video was available 6 days ago.

Incidentally, the original video blogger who recorded that video, an enthusiastic young man (ZOT on Youtube) got arrested today while he asking police where he was allowed to walk. Here’s the last bit of his last livestream:

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
The Hitler meme post occured after the windsor bridge blockage was peacefully dispelled by police. The bridge was operating by then. The only protest still occurring was the one in Ottawa that wasn’t disrupting any significant commerce, nor movement of people. The meme was posted in reaction to the Prime Minister declaring martial law.

People immediately jump to the Holocaust when they think of Hitler, and fair enough, that was by far the worst thing he did. But before that, he had to consolidate power. Once he got elected, he invoked the Enabling Act, which was a “temporary” emergency act that gave him martial law powers, very, very similar to the powers Trudeau has just given himself in Canada through the invocation of the Emergency Act.

Today, Trudeau suspended parliament and is arresting anyone caught in the downtown core. Peaceful protesting is now not allowed and people are being jailed for it.

So, yeah, comparing anyone to Hitler is in poor taste (which, by the way, is now a right of passage for any Republican President in the US since they all get compared to Hitler, but I digress), which is why Elon deleted his tweet. But if you know your history, as Elon certainly does, it isn’t an inapt comparison.

I was not familiar with the Emergencies Act in Canada, so I did some research. The act, as written, requires Parliament to act within 7 days of the declaration of an emergency to renew it or it expires. Parliament was debating this Thursday night when police felt the protests might be getting out of hand close to the Parliament Building and the article I read was vague about who told Parliament to suspend the debate, but they did go home. Considering that many members of the US government were put at risk a little over a year ago when a protest outside came inside, the officials in charge may have decided caution was called for in this case. It may have been overly cautious, but governments are usually overly cautious after something extreme happens there or close by.

As I understand it, if Parliament does not vote on the declaration within 7 days, it expires.

Just came across this:
Canada’s parliament cancels session as police set to clear protests

Apparently Parliament agreed among themselves not to meet today (Friday) because of the turmoil around the Parliament building.

It is an unprecedented call on emergency powers in Canada, but it is different from what the NSDAP did in 1933. Many functioning democracies have had to invoke emergency powers in times of crisis. The United States federal government has invoked marital law in limited jurisdictions at least 15 times. Most have been under the 1807 Insurrection Act. It was changed in 2006, but repealed a few years later. The 1807 Insurrection Act is currently the law of the land.

The protests in Ottawa are controversial in Canada and they are getting noticed in many other countries. Fivethirtyeight looked at the opinion of Canadians and most do not agree with the protesters. The blocking of the bridge into the US was disrupting the economies of both countries and thus negatively impacting a lot of lives. Someone reported in this thread that the disruption of life in Ottawa from the protests was intolerable.

The job of head of state in a republic is to look after the welfare of the citizens. When a minority is causing harm to the majority and police are not able to control it by regular means, some kind of emergency powers need to be invoked to return order. Maybe invoking the Emergency Act was too much, maybe not. That is a matter of serious debate and Parliament has been doing that until the protests got too close.

In 1933 the Weimar Republic in Germany was only a little over a decade old. Germans were familiar with autocratic rule and the NSDAP took advantage of it. Something that has happened in many countries with fledgling democracies. The countries with governments that evolved from British common law (including both Canada and the US), there is a well rooted tradition to rule of law that provides resistance to would be autocrats.

I have not seen any tendency in this direction from Justin Trudeau before this. As an outsider, this looks to me like a legitimate attempt to restore order in a situation that has spun out of control. The law he is using has a limited shelf life unless Parliament extends his authority. In this case the long term power is held by the legislative body, not the head of state, which is the opposite of what happened in Germany in 1933 as well as other fledgling democracies that went too the dark side.

Comparisons of Trudeau to Hitler in this case is specious. More apt comparisons would be comparing him to Dwight Eisenhower, John F Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, and George HW Bush who all invoked the US' Insurrection Act one or more times during their presidencies. In each case rule of law returned to normal after the emergency was over.

I don’t ride Jane Fonda to work and don’t park her in my garage. No one sees me at lunch and asks how I feel about Jane Fonda.

I truly think it’s important for those who support Tesla to realize that the bulk of customers are just regular car buyers now. These are the same folks who wouldn’t buy a gasoline Tiguan because of Dieselgate or a Honda Accord because it doesn’t come in orange. Now that the company is far beyond the affluent fanboi nerd customer base it doesn’t take as much to sway purchase decisions.

Having the Tesla brand directly tied to very frequent, extremely public, and highly controversial commentary on sensitive topics could hurt Tesla going forward. It certainly isn’t helping.

The claims that Tesla is a luxury brand were never really true. The Model S is a nice car, but it isn't truly luxurious compared to many European luxury brands.

Even if it was partially true once, it isn't true today. The bulk of Tesla's sales are Model 3s and Model Ys which are mainstream family cars. They cost a bit more because the drive train still costs more than an ICE. The cars have a few luxury car features, but just about all of those come about because they are cheap to add with software rather than the creature comforts found in a lot of luxury cars.

I do think that since Elon is already a lightning rod for controversy, he should lay low and restrict his comments to things that are relevant to his products. If he wants to opine in social media, create an alias account and Tweet to his heart's content about whatever is on his mind.

This is now Canada:

1645235797408.png

The old woman in red at the bottom (below the guy in brown whose face is being stomped on by the horse) was using a mobility device which you can see by her feet. There many videos of this encounter. The crowd was not warned of the charge (and it was a charge) by the horses. This is bad enough, but the police had the balls to blame the crowd and to slander them via a false charge:

1645237382780.png

Just like the debunked nazi flag slander, the state broadcaster, CBC, will probably run with this narrative ad infinitum.

By the way, I wasn't being ironic when I said "state broadcaster". In Canada, the largest news organization by about a factor of ten is the CBC, which is 100% funded by the government. And all the other news organization journalists want to work for the CBC, so there is literally no mainstream press that reports against the government narrative. Except for the YouTube video bloggers like the one that got arrested today asking a cop for information.

Look, Trudeau could have avoided all this if on day one he hadn't slandered the protesters. If he had even just pretended to negotiate or even just listen to their demands, people wouldn't have rushed to Ottawa. The only reason this grew this big is because Trudeau continued to slander them day in and day out. It is almost as if he wanted the protest to grow so that he would have a pretext to invoke the Emergency Act. Why would he have wanted to? He now has the power to freeze his political enemy's bank accounts, surveil them, and consolidate power. Which his justice minister has actually vowed to do.

All this under the guise of protecting citizens through federal mandates which are useless. The protesters weren't asked for much, just for mandates that the rest of the world is quickly dropping to be dropped.

I think Trudeau is following the footsteps of his father during the October crisis when Pierre Elliot Trudeaubsaid the famous word « Just watch me ».

However, at this point, protester didn’t injure if kill any political representative, but there is a mix of extremist protesters funded by outside funds coming from China and Russia, which is the main reason Trudeaj doesn’t offer to negotiate. If there was a peaceful leader of the mouvement Trudeau would probably negotiate but the group is too heterogenous and the demands vary on a wide range.

I don’t care whatever Elon tweets. But he is smart enough that he can compute the pluses and minuses of comparing a somewhat unpopular prime minister decision to the worst human being to have ever walked the planet will illicit vivid reactions from the descendants of the people who survived through the atrocities of that person.
I invest my money where I think the person in charge will take the most intelligent decision for every scenario he is confronted to with the knowledge he had at the moment. That is exactly what he said to Ashlee Vance and in multiple interviews.

He showed he had good judgment when he deleted it. I’m sure he was able to anticipate the backlash with the information he had before posting and didn’t have to take that decision after.

Last edited:
but there is a mix of extremist protesters funded by outside funds coming from China and Russia, which is the main reason Trudeaj doesn’t offer to negotiate. If there was a peaceful leader of the mouvement Trudeau would probably negotiate but the group is too heterogenous and the demands vary on a wide range.

Sorry for continuing to reply, but I can’t let misinformation like this sit. I have watched countless hours of interviews of the protest leaders and their press conferences. What you wrote above is the false narrative the state broadcaster is telling people.

This protest movement was truly organic grass roots and started by trucker family and mother of three Tamara Lich in Alberta. The govt knew exactly who and where they were since the first five arrests in Ottawa the night before the mass arrests were of these leaders, which were all caught on video. Negotiations would have been simple, but not one govt official did so. Note, however, that the protesters continually communicated with the local police through this to coordinate trash cleanup, snow shoveling and lane openings (there was always one lane open everywhere for emergency vehicle access).

China and Russia funding is BS. There is actually objective proof of this … the givesendgo hacked database shows about 50% donations coming from Canada and the US each.

Here’s the video of Tamara Lich the night before she knew she was going to get arrested. Pro-mandate people will react to this video with scorn, but people with a heart will realize this very raw video was spoken with honesty.

Reactions: OrthoSurg
Status
Not open for further replies.