Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(not moderator note, not representing TMC, TMC moderators, or anyone other than jjrandorin the regular poster)

I actually get people will make decisions based on whatever they think is correct, and support anyone who decides to make such a decision. What I dont get, frankly, is peoples need to get validation from others (post) about such a thing.

Do what you are going to do, and whatever you choose is the right thing for you, but everything doesnt need online validation from other people.
Should I sell doge and buy Tesla.
Pmsl.
😂😂😂😂

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I don't think the OP is looking for validation, just advice and discussion.

Just put a F--- Elon sticker on the back and enjoy the car. (starting to see a lot of these).

Then if in 5 years Elon drifts back toward a more mainstream likeablity, just peel the sticker off.

IDK, I thought about his very recent shenanigans and my ongoing ownership of the car, but still, as crazy as he's been acting lately, he helped Tesla steer the entire auto industry toward an electric future. I still give him credit for that.

Drivetrain/battery/charging network, no one else comes close. I wouldn't buy any other EV until there's 5 more years of battery history.

At the end of the day, I worry most about my own actions. I don't want to burn any more oil, full stop. Doing everything I can to get to that point asap.
Thank you, this piece of advice is very helpful. And the sticker is an excellent idea :)

As opposed to putting money into the pockets of people who cheated on emissions tests, sued the state of California to fight higher emissions standards, etc etc etc.

I have zero understanding of this logic.
Don't forget they make great cars!

Hmmm. 43% of the names in the list belong to the Volkswagen Group.

sued the state of California to fight higher emissions standards, etc etc etc.
Wanted to reply to this part specifically in Teslafornia. This fiasco that those douches at VW started ended with CA's CARB instituting security checks on ECU firmware. It essentially outlaws firmware modification, in other words TUNING and any form of ECU work. It's really a huge downer if you run a modded car and has really screwed the massive car lover community. Thanks VW, you freaking cheats!

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Wanted to reply to this part specifically in Teslafornia. This fiasco that those douches at VW started ended with CA's CARB instituting security checks on ECU firmware. It essentially outlaws firmware modification, in other words TUNING and any form of ECU work. It's really a huge downer if you run a modded car and has really screwed the massive car lover community. Thanks VW, you freaking cheats!
Was actually thinking about GM when talking about suing the state of California.

In general if you wanted to apply any sort of moral judgment to an auto company you’d be hard put to find one with a better track record than Tesla.

Was actually thinking about GM when talking about suing the state of California.

In general if you wanted to apply any sort of moral judgment to an auto company you’d be hard put to find one with a better track record than Tesla.
Ah GM... but the fighting CA emissions standards is not just limited to GM, it's a whole political front that's even larger. But the one company that really screwed with CA is VW with diesel gate and that led to draconian rules by CARB. Bad *sugar*...

Reactions: Ogre
I have been looking forward to receiving my Model Y for 9 months now. I've ordered accessories and even installed a Tesla home charger. I'm finally due to pick it up on Wednesday, but I'm strongly thinking about cancelling and I'm super sad about that, because I think Tesla's are the best cars available right now. But one of my big reasons for buying a car was to do some good in the world. I just can't, in good conscience, support a CEO that is creating so much turmoil.

I think Tesla is overall helping the world transition to electric cars, but I feel terribly guilty about giving money to Elon Musk. I realize other car companies have CEOs that are likely just as bad, but no other CEO is the face of a company in the way that Elon is. And I worry about being complicit to his actions by buying this car.

I haven't made a decision yet. Is anybody else struggling with this? I was really looking forward to this car. Thanks.

I think you should definitely cancel the pickup… no reason to have to live with your decision backing a man you appear to dislike. Once he hears of your cancellation he will start an internal inquiry that will lead to big changes.

I have been looking forward to receiving my Model Y for 9 months now. I've ordered accessories and even installed a Tesla home charger. I'm finally due to pick it up on Wednesday, but I'm strongly thinking about cancelling and I'm super sad about that, because I think Tesla's are the best cars available right now. But one of my big reasons for buying a car was to do some good in the world. I just can't, in good conscience, support a CEO that is creating so much turmoil.
On the one hand he’s:
Built a personal fortune from nothing, to become the richest man on Earth
Built a very successful electric car manufacturing company from scratch
Built a company that rivals NASA in ability to put men and payloads into space
Built a company that can dig subway tunnels with a machine that used to be the stuff of comic books
Built an orbiting Internet company with hundreds of satellites, and offers Internet to pretty much everywhere

On the other hand he’s:
Bought Twitter on a whim
Thoughtlessly iInsulted a member of the team that rescued the children’s soccer team from a flooding cave
Thoughtlessly Insulted the Pelosi’s

So he’s a genius. He’s somewhat impulsive. He’s not good with processing news from various sources and he has trouble filtering fact from fiction.

I don‘t care for the antics either, but overall he’s an absolutely amazing man.

And he’s built for me the best car I’ve ever had.

What is "wrong" with Musk buying Twitter?

The company is a mess and it has been poorly led for the past 5+ years. It's very likely the Twitter board and management have been pulling a full Enron on their advertisers and shareholders for some time.

Musk hasn't actually done anything to the detriment of Twitter, it's just a bunch of nonsense hype.

If you're buying an EV, in large part because you want to be a good citizen, isn't it much more important to make sure the company itself is doing the right thing than its CEO in his other endeavors. Are other manufacturers seeking to improve battery tech like Tesla with the 4680 to seek to minimize the use of rare earth minerals and ecological impact. Are they building lithium refineries and battery plants in the US that are subject to our more rigid environmental standards as opposed to abroad? How the product is made by the company that makes it should be the basis of your decision.

On the one hand he’s:
Built a personal fortune from nothing, to become the richest man on Earth
Built a very successful electric car manufacturing company from scratch
Built a company that rivals NASA in ability to put men and payloads into space
Built a company that can dig subway tunnels with a machine that used to be the stuff of comic books
Built an orbiting Internet company with hundreds of satellites, and offers Internet to pretty much everywhere

On the other hand he’s:
Bought Twitter on a whim
Thoughtlessly iInsulted a member of the team that rescued the children’s soccer team from a flooding cave
Thoughtlessly Insulted the Pelosi’s

So he’s a genius. He’s somewhat impulsive. He’s not good with processing news from various sources and he has trouble filtering fact from fiction.

I don‘t care for the antics either, but overall he’s an absolutely amazing man.

And he’s built for me the best car I’ve ever had.
I don't like him, or some of his politics.

Because of businesspeople like him we need politicians.

But I like what the engineers at his companies are trying to do.
Every company he has is one where true success would have a significant positive impact (including Boring).

Because of politicians we need businesspeople like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.