Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As opposed to putting money into the pockets of people who cheated on emissions tests, sued the state of California to fight higher emissions standards, etc etc etc.

I have zero understanding of this logic.
You actually make a very good point. I've been looking at the business practices of the competition, and things like Volkwagon's Dieselgate are pretty evil.

Thank you for your replies - many of them were extremely helpful, and caused me to look further into the background of some other companies. I knew this post might cause critiques of my thought process, and I understand that.

But there were some specific replies that helped me come to terms with dealing with this moral dichotomy. And overall, Tesla is doing much more in helping the world than any other automotive manufacturer to date - and it seems those manufacturers are only being dragged kicking and screaming into it because of Tesla. Companies like Volkswagen that get caught providing bogus emission standards are arguably worse than a CEO that spreads misinformation, is complicit in a toxic workplace, or riles up certain groups.

If we decided to boycott buying goods from every company that does something bad or is associated with views we don't agree with, we'd probably end up only owning maybe a couple of smoothies and perhaps some stationary. Ultimately, I will separate my purchase of Tesla from the CEO, hope he tones down his toxic rhetoric, and realize that nothing is perfect. I believe i'll take delivery on Wednesday.

Thank you for your replies - many of them were extremely helpful, and caused me to look further into the background of some other companies. I knew this post might cause critiques of my thought process, and I understand that.

But there were some specific replies that helped me come to terms with dealing with this moral dichotomy. And overall, Tesla is doing much more in helping the world than any other automotive manufacturer to date - and it seems those manufacturers are only being dragged kicking and screaming into it because of Tesla. Companies like Volkswagen that get caught providing bogus emission standards are arguably worse than a CEO that spreads misinformation, is complicit in a toxic workplace, or riles up certain groups.

If we decided to boycott buying goods from every company that does something bad or is associated with views we don't agree with, we'd probably end up only owning maybe a couple of smoothies and perhaps some stationary. Ultimately, I will separate my purchase of Tesla from the CEO, hope he tones down his toxic rhetoric, and realize that nothing is perfect. I believe i'll take delivery on Wednesday.
Go from snow_flake to snow_drive, it’s just a car and a dam good one at that.

Sadly the only impact on EM would be if a serious number of people decided to guy some other product because of EM's rants and probably uncontrolled control of Twitter. I for one will likely not buy another Tesla because of him. I realize that he will be fine without me, but there is no other message that I can send to him. I surmise that a lot of his buyers are people who have some concern about the environment, and by extrapolation, a lot of his buyers are progressives. He is going to supercharge the alt-right people by taking the controls away from Twitter, and this country will be far worse off as a result. I know he has said that it is not going to be crazy-town on Twitter, but he changes that tune by the minute. Like Mark Zuckerberg, he is in over his head in understanding the complexity of freedom of speech. But EM is possibly the richest man on earth, and he is going to do whatever he wants to do. He has done some great things, but he is about to do a whole lot of damage to the country that has allowed him to be who he is.

Sadly the only impact on EM would be if a serious number of people decided to guy some other product because of EM's rants and probably uncontrolled control of Twitter. I for one will likely not buy another Tesla because of him. I realize that he will be fine without me, but there is no other message that I can send to him. I surmise that a lot of his buyers are people who have some concern about the environment, and by extrapolation, a lot of his buyers are progressives. He is going to supercharge the alt-right people by taking the controls away from Twitter, and this country will be far worse off as a result. I know he has said that it is not going to be crazy-town on Twitter, but he changes that tune by the minute. Like Mark Zuckerberg, he is in over his head in understanding the complexity of freedom of speech. But EM is possibly the richest man on earth, and he is going to do whatever he wants to do. He has done some great things, but he is about to do a whole lot of damage to the country that has allowed him to be who he is.
May I suggest an i4 or iX?

I was really looking forward to this car. Thanks.
100% on delivery day you are going down to the dealership, you're pulling out your phone and hitting accept! Getting in that new, beautiful car and driving off. 100% You know why? Because I've waited since early March, I just got my VIN#, and I'm loosing my mind waiting for my delivery date, just like you!!! You can't wait to get in that car and call it yours. You *REALLY* going to let that go because some guy you don't know, who you will never personally affect, did something you can't control. Ya, he's a goof. Just get in your car, drive it away and all the doubt will fall away. You are HERE!! In this forum because you LOVE these cars, just like all of us. Don't let some stranger control you like that. Get in and DRIVE!

ElectricIAC you’re far too invested in what other people think of Elon. You’re spending all your time down voting anyone who has criticism for him and being passive aggressive in replies to others.

Calm down buddy. Elon doesn’t and never will know you. Just because some of us are rethinking our choice to support someone going down a conspiracy theory rabbit hole with the far right doesn’t mean you need to harass us with downvotes and replies.

You’ll be okay regardless of anonymous users opinions on an electric car forum. I promise.

I understand your quandary and can sympathize.
I also prefer not to support CEOs making obnoxious proclamations and their companies.

That being said, Tesla has pulled the traditional automakers, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century.
They also are advancing progress in battery storage at both residential and grid level very quickly.

In my opinion, supporting Tesla’s mission, employees and to keep pressure on the other companies are excellent reasons to buy a Tesla.

However, if it is too distasteful, don’t worry about it. Buy another electric car (if you save $ put the difference in TSLA).
In either event, give Tesla your feedback. Let them know that Elon’s antics on Twitter gave you reason to (consider) canceling your order.

Is there some level of crazy in management that would make me not buy a good product? Probably. And people can debate if Musk has crossed that line for them or not. He's done a lot of good in the world - has he done more harm? Something you can decide. You can also decide if he's evil -- actively trying to do harm in the world for selfish reasons -- or of good intent but of a different view from you on how to do it, and decide some things based on that.

As you may know, used Teslas have been selling for more than new ones, and the transfer of a new model with delivery this week should probably make you some profit. You would not cost Tesla a sale, but you could donate that profit to fighting for causes you believe in.

Your particular lost sale won't get noticed, but it's not the case that it does nothing. If many people take the same path, and buy other cars, it eventually will hurt the company. Right now stockholders think Musk is a major asset to the company and a lot of the stock value comes from people feeling that. If that sentiment were to swing, it could swing hard and hurt him and Tesla seriously. It's not out of the question. Of course, that might also slow down the transition to clean cars, which you may or may not have feelings about. To this point a lot of Tesla sales have come because the car is superior to the gasoline cars people were driving, in pretty much every way. Other cars have not quite got that down as well, or got the same reputation for that. This sense among buyers that a Tesla was a step up from the gasoline car is what changed the game and made people adopt EVs quickly. Musk is the one who made that happen (not alone, of course, but he drove a lot of it.) How much sucky stuff does he have to do to cancel that out?

Here's the affidavit: https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/1548106/download
Please fact check CNN and let us know of any errors in their reporting. I think people overestimate how often news organizations make significant factual errors.
The guy was in the country illegally and shouldn’t care about America’s politics but he’s obviously crazy and latched on to nudity, BLM, hard drug use, etc in a city that has a big crime problem. Sorry, but nothing to see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.