Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious about something. First...I had a conceal and carry permit in New York State 17 years ago (although I didn’t own a gun - strange... I know)

For the guys claiming this is a mental health issue...I have some genuine questions that you might know the answers....

1. Is there is higher rate of mental health issues in the USA over other western nations. If so, what would be the explanation?

2. Do you support universal healthcare for all mental healthcare issues, to ensure public safety?

3. What accounts for the greater propensity for gun violence in the USA vs. Other western nations?

4. Do you see any correlation between access to guns and gun violence or is there no relationship?

5. If this is a mental healthcare issue, what role does access to automatic and semi automatic weapons have in mass shootings?

1.Mental health facilities being closed and not being able to institutionalize folks till they have hurt someone are big issues.
2. government does need to foot the bill for somethings, but it doesn't need to be blanket which is what you want me to say. Free enterprise and Capitalism are what causes so many medical advances to have come from here.
3. We have a few CULTURES here that glorify drugs and violence and the left cultivates it and supports it and accuses anyone not supportive of being racist. They take it a step further and demonize law enforcement when they are forced to deal with this CULTURE. We also have a media that makes people believe "hands up don't shoot" which was a lie to demonize law enforcement.
4.Access to guns by legal owners is not a gun violence issue and laws only take them away from legal owners. Bumper stickers are common here that say "when you outlaw guns only outlaws have guns".
5.To the best of my knowledge this is the first use of potentially automatic weapons in a mass shooting in the USA in the modern era. I say potentially because we don't know what was used yet and I have heard speculation that there are "gadgets" that can make a semiautomatic weapon behave as automatic. I think the mental health issue is being over played, we don't know anything about this guy yet. The night club, the officers in Dallas, the Congressional Ball game, the Sikh Temple in WI,, the DC sniper, were ideological.

I think the "victim mentality" plays a big part in some cases too, people told day in and day out the world has treated them unfairly and they take it out on people around them.

Early in the thread one ignorant person claimed it took 2 minutes to load a Revolution era weapon, not the case at all, 3-4 per minute is doable by people who participate in reenactments faster if you can make powder packets ahead of time, and maybe it was faster for those who used them daily.

3-4 per minute is doable by people who participate in reenactments faster if you can make powder packets ahead of time, and maybe it was faster for those who used them daily.

I'd be ok with weapons with a rate of fire of 3-4 per minute. Semi-Automatic weapons are often every bit as lethal as fully automatic weapons and have no place in civilian hands. Gun Control can eliminate gun violence but it obviously reduces it. We need a ban on semi-auto weapons... too bad the gun cult will never let that happen.

While this event was a serious tragedy by a mad man whom I believe we will find was using weapons that are highly illegal in the US, people do not always understand the magnitude of numbers. What appears to be a massive problem is actually not on the radar as it affects the citizens of the US in 2017.
Since 1970 more Americans have been killed by guns than Americans killed in every war this country has been involved in back to the American revolution. And you think gun violence isn't a problem.

the day any of our god given rights are stripped away by a corrupt government is the day that the USA will cease to exist.
this heinous act was carried out by a deranged individual yet the liberals want to restrict the rights of people who had nothing to do with this tragedy.
Speaking of deranged: the 2nd amendment was written by old white guys in an era vastly different than today's reality.

The USA won't "cease to exist" if additional restrictions are placed on firearm ownership and semi-automatic weapons are outlawed. Canada is doing just fine with very strict gun laws and an active hunting culture.

I'd be ok with weapons with a rate of fire of 3-4 per minute. Semi-Automatic weapons are often every bit as lethal as fully automatic weapons and have no place in civilian hands. Gun Control can eliminate gun violence but it obviously reduces it. We need a ban on semi-auto weapons... too bad the gun cult will never let that happen.

When speaking of "gun culture" and railing against the NRA it is law abiding citizens you oppose.

How do you feel about the inner city gun culture, you know the illegal guns, in places with strong gun control laws where the rates of gun violence are high bringing up the national average.

When speaking of "gun culture" and railing against the NRA it is law abiding citizens you oppose.

The NRA is what keeps guns legal that no civilian has any business owning. You have to be completely insane to accept 'Sport' as the PRO contrasted to the CON of thousands of gun deaths every year. Those illegal guns start out legal. The rational thing to do is phase-out semi-automatic weapons from civilian use. Sadly 'Merca is far, far FAR from a rational country......

Gun enthusiasts and hunters would get along just fine with pump-action, bolt-action and double-action guns. Kinda hard to shoot ~500+ people in 15 minutes with those....

Since 1970 more Americans have been killed by guns than Americans killed in every war this country has been involved in back to the American revolution. And you think gun violence isn't a problem.

When you consider that 60% of those deaths are suicide, no. Gun violence isn't the problem. Mental Health is.

Digging deeper you'll find it's especially a problem with military and veterans. More soldiers killed themselves in any one year of the Iraq war than died in combat for the entire war.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Interesting tweets from Caleb Keeter, one of the guitarists last night... apparently getting shot at can change your perspective...

'I’ve been for the 2nd Amendment my whole life. Until last night.'

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in celebrities opinions. They're rarely famous for their critical thinking and usually live outside of reality.

I also saw someone interviewed who said they came to the concert and atheist and left believing in god because it was a miracle he wasn't shot. There were 22,000 people there and 58 got killed. Not exactly a statistics major.

• Love
Reactions: oktane
How do you propose we get MORE aggressive? You think cops are finding people with illegal guns and putting them back on the street? Stop and Frisk was a failure.
How would you suggest we get more aggressive with law breakers?
Far as back on the street, several of the recent radical islamic terror attacks in Europe and North America have been known to police including one in custody the day before.......... If the global left wont let law enforcement handle the pretty well known bad actors how can we expect them to handle the law abiding?

Far as how to handle crime I am sure DeBlasio is fairly in line with your beliefs and crime is on the rise thanks to his policies and a media/left push to glorify criminals and demonize law enforcement.

How do you propose we get MORE aggressive? You think cops are finding people with illegal guns and putting them back on the street? Stop and Frisk was a failure.
stop and frisk was very effective, liberals like you deemed it to be an infringement on people's rights, in your liberal world criminals have rights and law abiding citizens are forced to lose their rights.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Status
Not open for further replies.