Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But he is the one who gets Nunes's memos released if this supports his paranoia.
Which doesn't deal with legislation either ;)

And yes the EV credit was on the chopping block at the beginning of the tax reform discussion. There are multiple threads on it, so it didn't make it under anyones radar. In fact it was on their radar and they decided to keep it.

You realize trump doesn't write legislation, correct?
However he is required to sign it and it is vaguely the sort of loud symbolic grandstanding demand that's he's prone to indulge in, if he notices it (AKA if it appears on Fox & Friends).

Ending it outright last Dec would in the medium term have been slightly beneficial to Tesla since they will be running out of cap within a couple months. Besides GM maybe next year, no other company is close. So I had expected it to be a relative longshot that it be terminated with a lot of lobbying from Not-Tesla flooding in. I was a bit surprised it made it in the House, even.

Reactions: C141medic
There are multiple threads on it, so it didn't make it under anyones radar. In fact it was on their radar and they decided to keep it
Congress yes, but when Trump makes a big stink about something, the Republicans pretty much line up behind him, so I was happy it did not happen that time. Especially considering that Musk left Trump's advisory council - that could have made him a revenge target, we see that happening all the time.

Reactions: Runt8 and C141medic
Isn't coal used to produce electricity?
Haven't seen a lot of coal powered cars yet.
As our natural gas infrastructure expands, coal will die a natural economic death. Natural gas passed coal a couple years ago. If we were really worried about GHG, we wouldn't be shuttering our nuclear power industry.

Using solar power to fuel cars is not yet a solution for the working class. You need both a storage system and the PV equipment to do it.
Yes, I can charge cars off pure solar during peak production hours. These do not align with the times convenient to charge.
And on a cloudy day, you still have to drive. On a cloudy week, you're going to have problems without a large array and a lot of storage. I get 1/8th the power on a cloudy day.

If you'd like to blame such things on a President, you might have noticed that none of the ex-Presidents have been seen even near an electric car since they left office. Our existing President is probably the only one who has actually driven one.

Ya'll realize plenty of "republicans" are for green energy right? However, that doesn't mean they want the industry being subsidized.
Maybe, I haven't polled them. But I see Trump is bent on destroying EPA and all it stands for, which is not green. And it is happening with no visible pushback from the Republicans. Plus climate change denials.
Another recent miracle is that gold mining was put on hold in Alaska's salmon fisheries area, which was progressing so fast, I was all but certain that Alaskan salmon in grocery stores would be a thing of the past.

Honestly, I don't like a straight cap removal. I'd rather there be some set overall number applicable to all manufacturers (1 million credits or something). That way the laggards would be enticed to develop their own EVs, as a finite # of credits would be available. Plus then it wouldn't punish the manufacturers that have already made investments in EV technology (Tesla/GM/Nissan, etc.)

GM and Ford have a lot pull in Washington. I would not be surprised to see the cap extended. They need EV sales to service the world's biggest buyers of cars, California. California Democrats in Congress will probably assist.

Maybe, I haven't polled them. But I see Trump is bent on destroying EPA and all it stands for, which is not green. And it is happening with no visible pushback from the Republicans. Plus climate change denials.
Another recent miracle is that gold mining was put on hold in Alaska's salmon fisheries area, which was progressing so fast, I was all but certain that Alaskan salmon in grocery stores would be a thing of the past.

We can only hope Mr. Mueller hurries up with his investigation.

• Disagree
Reactions: ℬête Noire
That applies to any type of power generation that has a 90 day supply of fuel on hand. it could be for Coal, oil, NG or anything else.
:rolleyes:

It was written VERY purposely to target fuel source without naming coal outright. It was crazy town arbitrary and made zero sense towards it's supposed goal (grid stability). A not so subtle ruse.

Why it was rejected (and wouldn't likely have survived a court challenge anyway).

Federal regulator denies Rick Perry’s proposal to compensate coal, nuclear [updated]

Reactions: Runt8 and gene
Why do you need the EPA when every state I've been to has their own environmental protection departments? So my tax money does to support two government agencies tasked with the same purpose. o_O

:rolleyes:

It was written VERY purposely to target fuel source without naming coal outright. It was crazy town arbitrary and made zero sense towards it's supposed goal (grid stability). A not so subtle ruse.

Why it was rejected (and wouldn't likely have survived a court challenge anyway).

Federal regulator denies Rick Perry’s proposal to compensate coal, nuclear [updated]

If coal is the target then why does every article you link to give equal weight to nuclear, probably the cleanest power there is.

Why do you need the EPA when every state I've been to has their own environmental protection departments? So my tax money does to support two government agencies tasked with the same purpose. o_O

Bureaucracies are easy to create, but are nearly impossible to kill, or even contain. They are living creatures who fight tooth and nail for their survival and live to reproduce.

They are blood relatives of the temporary tax increase.

Did you see all the distress the middle class tax cut caused? Bureaucracies and bureaucrats, along with their minion, the political media, were freakin' livid that people would get to keep some of their paycheck.

Nuclear power leveled out starting in the late 1980's to about 1/5th of our electricity needs. It is now falling.

Last plant to come on line was over 20 years ago?

There were 2 that were given regulatory approval to start construction a number of years ago (by That Last Guy In The WH). The construction was a clustergrope of cost overruns, bankruptcies ensued, and is pretty close to dead right now. It's not "we" shuttering the industry, it's that the industry hasn't figure out how build new stuff economically. Sure, we probably should be investing in necessary research of necessary tech get to an economical [over lifecycle] place. But that's something different than "shuttering the industry", and it's certainly in "subsidy" territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.