Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Provocative perhaps. If he silently walked it back it was probably after actually looking at the website.

No apologies are needed for that.
You just made my point? Retweeting something without knowing what it is?
For a person with so many followers, it’s at least an act of compulsiveness and stupidity. Perhaps, he’s ashamed to just admitting it!

Provocative perhaps. If he silently walked it back it was probably after actually looking at the website.

No apologies are needed for that.
This is how people make the news these days. Say something really sensational, provocative, outrageous, etc., wait for it to get a bunch of retweets and likes, then delete it. The news sites notice, and they make an even bigger deal out of it because "Oh, they deleted that tweet! They must have known it was wrong!", etc. Musk didn't walk back anything. He knew exactly what he was doing.

I wondered what was the tweet of Elon's that was so inflammatory. The one about the Pelosi story? Oh boy, sort of nothing wasn't it?
The Pelosi story is odd, but does it make any difference to anybody? Seriously, anybody? It is unfortunate for My Pelosi and the crazy fellow who is involved. But if you feel umbraged as a removed party you may need counseling.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I wondered what was the tweet of Elon's that was so inflammatory. The one about the Pelosi story? Oh boy, sort of nothing wasn't it?
The Pelosi story is odd, but does it make any difference to anybody? Seriously, anybody? It is unfortunate for My Pelosi and the crazy fellow who is involved. But if you feel umbraged as a removed party you may need counseling.
I'm going to try to put this as politely as I can. The person who attacked Paul Pelosi admitted to officers that he intended to assault or even kill Nancy Pelosi, who just so happens to be an elected official of the United States Government. Given other attacks on the government that I'm going to guess you either think didn't happen, you don't care about, or you feel were justified, I dare say that spreading a conspiracy theory about this attack goes well beyond a simple "Oh, you shouldn't be so offended".

Seriously, why is it that people are so quick to defend Musk, and many others in the same general circles, over "little" tweets like this, yet so quick to cry bloody murder against anyone who thinks different?

I'm going to try to put this as politely as I can. The person who attacked Paul Pelosi admitted to officers that he intended to assault or even kill Nancy Pelosi, who just so happens to be an elected official of the United States Government. Given other attacks on the government that I'm going to guess you either think didn't happen, you don't care about, or you feel were justified, I dare say that spreading a conspiracy theory about this attack goes well beyond a simple "Oh, you shouldn't be so offended".

Seriously, why is it that people are so quick to defend Musk, and many others in the same general circles, over "little" tweets like this, yet so quick to cry bloody murder against anyone who thinks different?
By the way, I am not going to be even the slightest bit surprised if this message gets deleted and my account banned by a moderator because I'm speaking up about this. Go ahead, prove my point.

I find the ignore feature works great for accounts like that.

That said, I agree, if you can't see how a tweet spreading baseless claims about Paul Pelosi and supposed connections with his attacker, then you are way too far gone for serious conversations. The nice thing about all the people in this thread chiming in with "Elon is only asking questions/it's not affecting you so who cares???!!!???" is I can add about a half dozen more of you to my ignore list. I find it keeps other legit threads cleaner too. The same type of people often go off on irrelevant tangents with very low quality posts all over the place, so it's a great self ID tool to weed out the noise.

Bye!

You just made my point? Retweeting something without knowing what it is?
For a person with so many followers, it’s at least an act of compulsiveness and stupidity. Perhaps, he’s ashamed to just admitting it!

Your last sentence brings out an interesting point. I get the feeling that in online discussions and other spaces that there aren't rooms for apologies for various reasons (pride, the response used to further inflame the discussions, etc). It feels far easier to simply delete or ignore the convo and move on at times.

If in the course of online discussion (and other areas) admitting fault was more widely accepted and/or not seen as a sign of weakness, then maybe the world would be in a better place. Just think of the amount of discussions here where arguments spawned and how often fault or admitting you're wrong came up.

That being said, there are sometimes where discussion can't move forward and it is better to just walk away, or the issue was grey or more nuanced (one side right on this, another this, etc), or sometimes apologies weren't needed. But its kinda hard to see nuance and stuff, and people tend to flock to the extremes.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I find the ignore feature works great for accounts like that.

That said, I agree, if you can't see how a tweet spreading baseless claims about Paul Pelosi and supposed connections with his attacker, then you are way too far gone for serious conversations. The nice thing about all the people in this thread chiming in with "Elon is only asking questions/it's not affecting you so who cares???!!!???" is I can add about a half dozen more of you to my ignore list. I find it keeps other legit threads cleaner too. The same type of people often go off on irrelevant tangents with very low quality posts all over the place, so it's a great self ID tool to weed out the noise.

Bye!
Personally, I find that ignoring people with whom I disagree doesn't help the situation either. If someone's being an obvious troll just to get a rise out of me, sure. But I generally wait until it's obvious, and until then, I give them the benefit of the doubt that they're being serious and that we really do disagree on a point. Perhaps my greatest failing there is that I keep hoping we can have an honest discussion about it, and not just this stupid "No YOU shut up!" thing that's so fashionable these days.

This ties in to something I said earlier, tho. Regardless of whether I ignore these people or try to engage with them, I believe it paints the Tesla drivers community in a really terrible light. As with any community, the vast majority of people in it are quiet, unengaged, self-focused, etc., and don't really change how the group looks to the outside world. So when you have the outspoken few who ARE acting this way, your average person is going to see what they're saying and believe they represent the community as a whole - and that person will either like what they see or think Tesla drivers in general are horrible people. Either way, I don't like being a part of that.

Personally, I wish Elon would divest himself from Tesla entirely if he wants to keep helping destroy our country, so that at least those of us who agree with his politics don't also speak (intentionally or not) for all of Tesla's employees and customers. We all know he's not going to do that, of course.

Sad, because I used to have a lot of respect for him. He was in my mind a real-life Tony Stark of sorts. Cavalier, sure, but with the means to do some extraordinary things that stood a chance to actually help civilization writ large. But like for so many wealthy and successful people, that lust for power and attention is just too irresistible.

Musk doesn't understand that AOC brings people (supporters and haters) to twitter and he should pay AOC.

Spotify pays Joe Rogan, not the other way.
Oh, you mean the AOC that insisted (along with Lizzie Warren) that Musk didn't pay taxes in 2018? That AOC and her 'friends'? Elon told us that he didn't pay in 2018 because he overpaid in 2017. Does anyone really think the IRS isn't watching Musk (the richest man in the world) very closely?

In fact, I reckon Elon will pay more tax in one year than AOC and Warren pay in their entire lifetime. AOC is a joke. Senator Karen isn't far behind trying to smear a man who will pay more taxes than any other person in history.

Did AOC ever retract her accusations? How about Lizzie Warren? Of course not. Accountability seems is lost on them, or perhaps they lack courage and/or intellectual honesty. Nothing new there, and it's not just them. The Left has a massive courage deficit, and seem to struggle with intellectual honesty if it doesn't suit their narrative. This is why there's been such a backlash, and that includes the election of Trump. I'm no Trump fan, but the Left were definitely hoist by their own petard here.

AOC and Warren tried to assassinate Elon's character and integrity, and didn't correct themselves. I'm assuming they can read and understand their error because it had to have been pointed out by now.

Likewise, Mary Barra never gave credit where it is really due when Biden claimed that she led the way in EVs, because GM is actually the company that killed the EV1 and they got a government bailout from U.S. taxpayers. There's a whole documentary about GM's oil-beholden shenanigans called, 'Who Killed The Electric Car?' on Amazon Prime. GM could be where Tesla is today had they not made a constellation of cowardly decisions.

Mary Barra wasn't CEO then, but she's the last person who should be falsely-attributed credit for leading the way for EVs, and that matters.

Last edited:
He’s already been taken to the woodshed on that one. If he continues to post like that, then I’ll say he hasn’t learned his lesson. But for right now the jury is still out.
Musk is currently influenced by alt-right narrative. He uses their language / code, frequently links to their fake news. Started with Covid. He doesn’t check anything before posting.

You mean the guy who strong armed and seized bank accounts of legitimate peaceful protestors.

Interesting guy to side with but okay...
I don't know enough about what happened to comment on whether it was right or wrong, but I know such a comparison is either massively exaggerating how bad it was or massively trivializing what Hitler did

Status
Not open for further replies.