Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: 35k or 49k

Which model 3 are you going to get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Makes sense to me. I think we're just looking at it from two different angles. Your argument (if I hear it correctly) is that for you and your circumstance the extra $9,000 is an expense that just doesn't make sense given the ROI. Mine was more general, simply stating that relative to Tesla's other models, and competition, the cost for the extra range actually seems rather fair. That doesn't mean it makes economic sense for everyone, just that I don't think it's overpriced given the current market.
agreed!

I think that you're assuming that the value and the LR and SR will be the same after five years. I'd expect the LR to higher, not 9K$ higher, but higher.
not if I'm planning on keeping my model3 for as long as possible! I've been waiting for this car for 5 years already ;)

Yes the first run is all LR and PUP. The second run is called "standard battery" in myTesla is when the SR model is available. The general consensus is when that happens, there will be three new combinations available: 1) <SR and PUP> and 2) <SR and no PUP> And 3) LR and No PUP

My current plan is for SR and PUP and I'm east coast whoI stood on line on 3/31. MyTesla shows a delivery estimate of Jan-Mar 2018.

One thing I've learned is that the "general consensus" is virtually always wrong when it comes to predicting what Tesla is going to do. If I was Elon I would not stop forcing people to buy LR and PUP until the people willing to take that configuration started to dry up such that they can no longer fill the production queue without opening up other options. I am guessing that wouldn't happen until 2019.

Seems to me the cost is not $9000, but $9000 - (depreciated price of LR - depreciated price of SR) after x number of years depreciation. The LR model might depreciate much slower than the SR.
This.
You saved me from typing it. I only have to justify spending the difference in depreciation between LR and SR. It is definitely not zero. We probably won't agree on what it might be. Anyways, I see the cost for the LR as less than $9K....more like $5K IMO. I don't have any trouble justifying that. (Why am I sounding like I am trying to convince you people to not move out of my way in line?) ;)

Seems to me the cost is not $9000, but $9000 - (depreciated price of LR - depreciated price of SR) after x number of years depreciation. The LR model might depreciate much slower than the SR.

I am not sure whether LR will depreciate more slowly than SR; but I am pretty sure it won't depreciate faster. Even if they depreciate at the same rate, a used LR will be worth more so I completely agree with your point that the total cost to the first owner is less than $9k.

It still might be a little hard to justify if the extra range was all you got...but there are many advantages to a larger battery. Longevity, warranty, performance, etc. I described some of them in a recent blog post HERE.

I'm beginning to think that getting AWD, LR and PUP (winter necessity!) will not make me regret going with Tesla because the first two options may not be available in other BEVs for a long while (before 2020).

Also the 90 mile range is about the cost of a used Nissan Leaf ($8-12k) with a seriously degraded battery, correct? Buy one BEV and have one less trouble with the other, lol.

Still waiting in anticipation for the Leaf 2.0 details, especially when the 60 kWh will be made available.

All the wise TMC folks who have told us how much a kWh of battery costs Tesla. At a higher end $200/kWh, we are looking at $5k.

Yeah but pricing isn't driven by their cost, it's driven by what the market will bear. Given that they have nearly zero competition in this range space they can essentially set their pricing. A pizza costs anywhere from $2.50-$5 in ingredients and labor to make, but people will happily pay 12-15 bucks for one.

Yeah but pricing isn't driven by their cost, it's driven by what the market will bear. Given that they have nearly zero competition in this range space they can essentially set their pricing. A pizza costs anywhere from $2.50-$5 in ingredients and labor to make, but people will happily pay 12-15 bucks for one.
Your first half was correct, but the pizza analogy is lacking because competition exists everywhere. Pharmaceuticals is a better analog where people pay $100+ per pill that costs pennies to make....

Reactions: AlanSqB
The current option prices absolutely have the $7500 tax credit as an influence (aka what the market will bear). As soon as that goes away, the option packages and prices will be adjusted.

I’m perfectly happy paying for LR and Premium knowing I’m going to get a good chunk of that $$ back.

Yeah but pricing isn't driven by their cost, it's driven by what the market will bear.

The current option prices absolutely have the $7500 tax credit as an influence (aka what the market will bear). As soon as that goes away, the option packages and prices will be adjusted.

I’m perfectly happy paying for LR and Premium knowing I’m going to get a good chunk of that $$ back.

I don't disagree. My point was that what a cell costs them to make isn't solely what dictates their pricing.

Reactions: AlanSqB
The current option prices absolutely have the $7500 tax credit as an influence (aka what the market will bear). As soon as that goes away, the option packages and prices will be adjusted..

I believe this to be true, but would not go so far as "absolutely". I suspect that some expensive options may decrease in price, ie the currently available config (LR, PUP) currently costs $49K, post- tax credit it might become $46K...Don't forget that as long as Tesla has a healthy backlog, there really aren't motivated to change much....

When the black is clean it looks absolutely amazing. Don't listen to the haters!
Ditto this. I have a black car and love it. I have a monthly membership at a (brushless!) car wash and go through that 2-3x/week on my drive to work; how often varies by season. I also park in the driveway, uncovered, so I have extra opportunity to get crap on my car... It would be even less of an issue with a garage.

I haven't decided yet on my Model 3 color, but I'm really considering black (due to preference, not $). Probably either that or red.