Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: 35k or 49k

Which model 3 are you going to get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm along these same lines...I'm at $54k as I've decided that I like the black with the aeros, covers on. Covers off the standard wheels would work well with other colors but hey...I'm saving myself the $1000 on paint and I'm excited to make this my first black car. I've already blown the budget so saving even the $1k on paint will help, even if only a little.

You won't like black. It will show every little speck of dust and dirt, and every little ding the car gets will stand out a lot. Get a lighter color than black.

You won't like black. It will show every little speck of dust and dirt, and every little ding the car gets will stand out a lot. Get a lighter color than black.
Aw c'mon...I get the dust and dirt factor with black, it will be garage kept and well cared for...not worried.
I'm excited with how well it will mesh with the aeros....I'm more mono-color with black wheels vs. light colored car with black wheels....if I go lighter with the car....the trickle down effect kicks in and I want the premium wheels too...as stated above I'm already getting almost every other upgrade.
Sooooo......
I am excited for my first black car .....and I need that feeling to stick!

Last edited:
Reactions: 03DSG and DavidP
I am guessing many folks are going to be disappointed with the real world, road tripping range of the SR M3... and it will end up as a glorified city car. It is just that it will be disappoint many folks who might be planning for nice family trips. Those trips are going to be stressful, and slowly it will be relegated to a city car, with occasional solo long distance trips.

But even then with the offerings what we have today in the market it is still worth the base price of $35K

My first 2011 Nissan Leaf (VIN 512) was priced $32k with just 80 miles of real world range, but I knew going in this is going to be a commute car. It *exceeded* my expectations. Fantastic car with zero issues. It made me fall in love with an EV.

Aw c'mon...I get the dust and dirt factor with black, it will be garage kept and well cared for...not worried.
I'm excited with how well it will mesh with the aeros....I'm more mono-color with black wheels vs. light colored car with black wheels....if I go lighter with the car....the trickle down effect kicks in and I want the premium wheels too...as stated above I'm already getting almost every other upgrade.
Sooooo......
I am excited for my first black car .....and I need that feeling to stick!
When the black is clean it looks absolutely amazing. Don't listen to the haters!

I said SR but I'll be getting PUP and EAP and possible waiting for AWD...

I am guessing many folks are going to be disappointed with the real world, road tripping range of the SR M3... and it will end up as a glorified city car. It is just that it will be disappoint many folks who might be planning for nice family trips. Those trips are going to be stressful, and slowly it will be relegated to a city car, with occasional solo long distance trips.
Unless of course they did their research, know the amount of driving they do, and are aware of the factors that affect range ... in that case I bet they'll be perfectly happy with their purchase.

My reservation will end up being a LR, EAP, PUP and maybe even AWD, in white, with probably the standard wheels. So 55+, if it were bought in the US.

Also, don't forget the destination charge. I think it's 1k on top. So actually it's 36k or 50k, if you only want to offer those two options.

I don't necessarily care about the extra range, but I do want the premium package. I'm just going to play it safe and assume that if I wait for only the configuration that I needed, I may not get the tax credit by then. So this was my thought process:

35000+5000= $40,000 (no tax credit)
35000+5000+9000-7500= $41,500 (including tax credit savings)

So basically I'll buy the first available and get the extra range, performance, and bragging rights for $1500. :D

I don't necessarily care about the extra range, but I do want the premium package. I'm just going to play it safe and assume that if I wait for only the configuration that I needed, I may not get the tax credit by then. So this was my thought process:

So basically I'll buy the first available and get the extra range, performance, and bragging rights for $1500. :D

You are reading my mind!:D

When is your window for Standard Range? How do you know there won't be a tax credit available if you wait to order standard range with PUP?

Also my logic. Especially when the CO tax credit is factored in (another $5k off). But 5k for EAP is hard to swallow....

Reactions: kenbefound
I guess I'm in the camp that thinks the long range version with a bigger battery is reasonably priced. 9k for 90 miles seems pretty decent when you consider going from the MS75 to MS100 is over 20 grand.
it is true that an extra 90 miles for 9k is very reasonable at this time, but for me it's more of a matter of math.
In the busiest year I can imagine, I'll be taking 2 trips up to San Francisco from San Diego, with around 12 trips to Los Angeles.
*with aggressive estimations
  • Trip to San Francisco: ~1000 miles round-trip (4 supercharger stops with LR, 7 supercharger stops with SR).
  • Trip to Los Angeles: ~250 miles round-trip (No supercharger stop with LR, 1 supercharger stop with SR).
if 1 supercharger stop = ~40min wait time, then:
  • 2 trips to SF means I'll spend ~4hrs more at superchargers per year.
  • 12 trips to LA means I'll spend ~5hrs more at superchargers per year.
This means I'll be spending 9k so that I can save ~9hrs/year. Even if I value my time at $200/hrs (higher than my salary), it'll take 5 years for the 9k to be worth the time saved.
Everyone's situation is different, and I'm not taking into account battery degradation (~2% a year?), supercharging cost, acceleration time, etc. This is just my rational side doing the thinking for once :rolleyes:
Please let me know if there's anything wrong with this logic!
*edit formatting

When is your window for Standard Range? How do you know there won't be a tax credit available if you wait to order standard range with PUP?

I don't know for sure, I just know that if I get first available then I'll definitely get it and not worry about it. My ranges are Nov-Jan $49k or Jan-Mar $35k. I'd also really like to get it on this years taxes if I can, so that's part of it as well.

it is true that an extra 90 miles for 9k is very reasonable at this time, but for me it's more of a matter of math.
In the busiest year I can imagine, I'll be taking 2 trips up to San Francisco from San Diego, with around 12 trips to Los Angeles.
*with aggressive estimations
  • Trip to San Francisco: ~1000 miles round-trip (4 supercharger stops with LR, 7 supercharger stops with SR).
  • Trip to Los Angeles: ~250 miles round-trip (No supercharger stop with LR, 1 supercharger stop with SR).
if 1 supercharger stop = ~40min wait time, then:
  • 2 trips to SF means I'll spend ~4hrs more at superchargers per year.
  • 12 trips to LA means I'll spend ~5hrs more at superchargers per year.
This means I'll be spending 9k so that I can save ~9hrs/year. Even if I value my time at $200/hrs (higher than my salary), it'll take 5 years for the 9k to be worth the time saved.
Everyone's situation is different, and I'm not taking into account battery degradation (~2% a year?), supercharging cost, acceleration time, etc. This is just my rational side doing the thinking for once :rolleyes:
Please let me know if there's anything wrong with this logic!
*edit formatting

Makes sense to me. I think we're just looking at it from two different angles. Your argument (if I hear it correctly) is that for you and your circumstance the extra $9,000 is an expense that just doesn't make sense given the ROI. Mine was more general, simply stating that relative to Tesla's other models, and competition, the cost for the extra range actually seems rather fair. That doesn't mean it makes economic sense for everyone, just that I don't think it's overpriced given the current market.

Reactions: sports4eva115