Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - are you mad that your new Tesla just missed Autopilot 2.0?

Are you mad that your new Tesla just missed Autopilot 2.0?

• Extremely Pissed!! I want refund or compensation!

Votes: 63 14.7%
  • Mad!! In shock! I will be in daze for days...

Votes: 38 8.8%
  • Slightly mad, but understandable since technology always improve

Votes: 90 20.9%
  • Not sure/ neutral

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • It is alright. Thank god I leased my Tesla instead of owning!

Votes: 36 8.4%
  • Not mad. Know that it is coming given the rumors about Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 38 8.8%
  • Not mad at all. It is good that Tesla keep improving Autopilot hardware

Votes: 129 30.0%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 25 5.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I narrowly missed AP2 (by 4 short years:)), but the human pilot has had a lot of smiles over the years.
I missed by 3 weeks. We had ICE cars before and I got so tired of filling up at Costco gas station with long lines (yes I am cheap). I literally hated driving and didn't want to go anywhere. I even considered myself a car enthusiast (driving Porsche Cayman S, BMW M3). After I got the X I constantly ask my wife where we are going today with the kids. Now only if they could fix the goddamn USB player.

I am not mad, but just feel unlucky. I did make a gamble hoping AP2 would get in September cars, but it didn't. It is what it is. I did lose my whole night of sleep last night over this thing. Hopefully I will get out of it soon.

Reactions: ggnykk and Bilen
I feel same way, why would tesla release the p100 battery pack a few weeks before AP 2 with all the new hardware that isn't retrofittable. There will be a whole group of new p100d owners that have buyers remorse like me. That is a release that should have been synchronized.

I'm ridiculously, ridiculously happy.

I own the best car for me right now, which is a 60, with AP1. And in six months, it'll be the second-best car in the world, and that's okay. Not everything can be retrofit. Technology improves. We move on. I can't retrofit my laptop, or my phone, either. I make the call when they're outdated, and replace them. Just like I did with my last car, and like I will with my current Tesla.

I'm insanely happy, because when I have kids, they're going to grow up not knowing a world without some form of autonomous driving. As my parents get older, they're going to be able to get around far better than their parents, because the car will be able to do 99% of the work for them. And I'm thrilled because when the time comes to replace my girlfriend's car, it'll be upgraded to something electric and autonomous.

Under the weight of all of that, how the hell petty would it be for me to whine and winge about the magic ****ing futurecar that I have right now not getting a feature that isn't going to be fully implemented for possible years yet?

I feel same way, why would tesla release the p100 battery pack a few weeks before AP 2 with all the new hardware that isn't retrofittable. There will be a whole group of new p100d owners that have buyers remorse like me. That is a release that should have been synchronized.
I wonder if anyone has paid the after-delivery of $20k to upgrade their P90DL to P100DL yet. And if so, how do they feel about AP2.

When I took delivery of my model S the day the refresh took place, I was a little bummed but all of the people on this forum that got the refreshed model told me to stop whining and enjoy the car I paid for. I'm now amused that some of these same people are now whining and complaining.
It doesn't hurt when it's not your finger that got burned.

I wonder if anyone has paid the after-delivery of $20k to upgrade their P90DL to P100DL yet. And if so, how do they feel about AP2.
At least with battery packs there is a path to upgrade. P100 is a major upgrade with power and cooling system of batteries. They could have delayed p100d builds by 2 weeks and not had this issue with the new model.

We love our car. We bought it with inheritance money from my mom. I would never have the money to buy this car before. When we bought it last year there was still talking about upgrading battery to bigger one and retrofiting better hardware etc. Since we bought our 85D our battery got outdated 2 times in 16 months and now upgrading battery seems like a mockup story.

I really like Tesla but this is really now cellphone type product. It will get old very fast, and you can't upgrade it so just sell it and buy a new one wich will be more expensive. We will probably buy a Model 3 or Y to replace our Kia Soul EV when it's get out, but I wont drink the Kool-Aid anymore. Like I said in another post, this feel like we are getting serve powder and water and we need to mix it for them. I hope Model 3 will get basic TACC. I would get that instead of paying premium for Autopilot because right now I feel TACC and Autosteer is good enough for my needs.

As the 'chief geek' in my group, I am asked all the time what the best (fill in the blank) is--smartphone, camera, TV, computer. The answer always is 'next year's model'. Whatever you buy today will be better, faster and cheaper in (fill in the blank--a week/month/year). I tell people to just 'freeze the technology' and appreciate what you have. You can wait forever and live in a cave, or get out and enjoy some amazing benefits of our 'modern era'. And, FWIW, good manufacturers/companies obsolete their own technology (e.g. Steve Jobs did this with older iPods). Evolve or die.

It should but Tesla made more money this way.

Everyone who cares about Tesla more than themselves is doing something wrong on here.

They banked on top tier of customers getting top of the line to help q3, and if they want Top of the line again they will just take the $30,000 hit after a week

Reactions: xborg
As the 'chief geek' in my group, I am asked all the time what the best (fill in the blank) is--smartphone, camera, TV, computer. The answer always is 'next year's model'. Whatever you buy today will be better, faster and cheaper in (fill in the blank--a week/month/year). I tell people to just 'freeze the technology' and appreciate what you have. You can wait forever and live in a cave, or get out and enjoy some amazing benefits of our 'modern era'. And, FWIW, good manufacturers/companies obsolete their own technology (e.g. Steve Jobs did this with older iPods). Evolve or die.
Oh the humanity

The iPhone Tesla analogy has to be the most used on this form.

Do people understand iPhones are $600 and Teslas are $100-160k. What's the comparison? I lose a couple iPhones in deprecation a month owning a Tesla.

Guess what? iPhones deprecation is at least very predictable and I usually make money selling my old one and get a cheap one with carrier subsidies.

Reactions: Mbenz528i
Tesla = iPhone (With Only More Frequent Refresh).

It is good overall, but I would agree that having spent all that money only to find out shortly after something new is out is very frustrating.

I was fortunate to upgrade my P90DL to P100D for a cheap price as the P90D had not been delivered.

Meh, given the speed of my car (0-60 in 2.5 sexy seconds) I would want to drive it and not the computer! So Autopilot would do me fine.

Not pissed at all - the value of AP1 cars shouldn't depreciate much TBH due to the fact that full AP2 is a higher cost of entry (8k vs. 3k), and we won't see full depreciation until AP2 is able to run at full Level 5, which my guess won't be for another 3-5 years due to regulatory hurdles. The beauty is that in 3 years time, a huge % of the Tesla fleet (>90% at that point) will get full autonomy at the flip of a switch. That's incredibly powerful stuff. By then I will gladly retire my current Model S and upgrade to the new version without missing a beat. Until then I get to enjoy the best car in the world.

Reactions: ggnykk and headcase
Very happy Elon continues to push the bounds of innovation

My brand new AP1 is still the best car I have ever owned, and is years ahead of every single car owned by all my friends and family. It will be years before my car is outclassed by a BMW etc, and it will have many software upgrades to keep it ahead.

Its like complaining about the size of the 5th bedroom in your house - 99% don't even have a 5th bedroom