Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] CA Current owners ONLY. Have you received your config invite yet?

As a current Tesla owner, Have you received your configuration email yet?

• Yes

Votes: 198 65.3%
  • No

Votes: 105 34.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reserved online during reveal, I dont own a Tesla but I configured my Model 3 this morning after getting the invite to configure. Anybody else have this happen?

Apparently there is also another guy in Los Angeles that all received the invite. Surprised you got it!! I am a current owner in O.C who reserved online before the reveal and is still waiting.

S75 CPO owner since June 2017, 3/31/16 1 pm in store reservation, San Diego area, invite today 12/8.

Theories on why I got it today vs others:
1. had started checking the tesla.com account daily (perhaps cookies track users and impact data for choosing)
2. posted info on myself on multiple forums about how my wife's Leaf was totaled a month ago
3. posted publicly how I planned to shop and compare vs new Leaf and Honda Clarity using an id which could track my location
4. posted that I would occasionally use the Model 3 for Uber which might give more exposure to other new buyers (gave a ride two some guys from Mississippi today in Model S) first time in a Tesla.
Question came up 3 times: Is this really all electric? Yes sir! Using destination filter on way home from work.
5. managed to catch email within 2 hours of invite being sent (no spam issues)
6. Elon watches my driving pattern personally and wants to keep me alive for further study
7. Only use superchargers on road trips

I would like to think/imagine that Tesla would be sophisticated enough to factor multiple variables in the selection process which might positively impact it's business.

You are the first to "violate" the ownership clause, I think. In any case, congrats!

Apparently there is also another guy in Los Angeles that all received the invite. Surprised you got it!! I am a current owner in O.C who reserved online before the reveal and is still waiting.

Unfortunately for me it was for the wife, so I'm going to try and open it up to a private lease if anyone is interested just let me know. Maybe a 6mo to 1yr lease perhaps.

Anecdotal evidence isn't worth much, but my main data point is a good friend who is on his second Model S, and has continuously owned at least one since before he waited in line at the Walnut Creek store to make his reservation. He lives about 25 minutes from the factory if traffic is average, and has not yet received his invite.

I live close to the factory, reserved on day one and have been an S owner for years. No invite yet. Just saying :)

So my speculation about nearness to the factory is disproven.

I am legitimately astonished at how badly they're screwing people over. I was angry the other day when I was having a generally bad day and took it out on people who didn't deserve it, but today I'm just sad for the folks who are going to miss out on an effective 25-35% discount on their car because Tesla made the decision not to stick to their word. I'm not the one getting hosed here, but Tesla should be reaching out to the people who are.

Everybody seems to be getting estimates of 4 weeks for delivery. That means they're all 2018, and if the tax credit is repealed, none of them will get it. Unless actual delivery ends up being 2 1/2 weeks instead of 4. I don't think this weird ordering of invites will change anyone's tax ramifications.

Something I noticed today: I worried maybe my invite could end up in my spam folder so I checked my account at tesla.com, and noticed my "manage" button next to my model 3 reservation turned from red to grey? Anyone else seen this, or am I crazy?

My Manage button has never been red. It is, and always has been, white letters in a black rectangle. I access the page with Chrome on an iMac running El Capitan.

But there is one difference: It used to log me out when I closed the browser window. Now I go to the page and I'm still logged in. (But maybe I'm looking at it often enough now to be inside some session inactivity time limit.)

I ordered online before reveal...still waiting
I did that too. Because we had gotten an invite to the reveal, there was no way for us to both be in line in Rocklin and also make our flight down to the reveal, so I waited because I was told it wouldn't matter because I was a previous owner. Of course there was no way for me or anyone at Tesla to know that there would be a substantial delay in production combined with the current uncertainty about the tax credit, but really, I am very sure that the Model 3 will be well worth its price whether we get the tax credit or not. So I am disappointed not to have gotten my invite yet, but not unhappy with Tesla over it.

I also saw my button turned from red to black. My Powerwall 2 reservation also turned from red to black after I got the order agreement so it seems like the color change does signifies something but who knows what...

Everybody seems to be getting estimates of 4 weeks for delivery. That means they're all 2018, and if the tax credit is repealed, none of them will get it. Unless actual delivery ends up being 2 1/2 weeks instead of 4. I don't think this weird ordering of invites will change anyone's tax ramifications.

My Manage button has never been red. It is, and always has been, white letters in a black rectangle. I access the page with Chrome on an iMac running El Capitan.

But there is one difference: It used to log me out when I closed the browser window. Now I go to the page and I'm still logged in. (But maybe I'm looking at it often enough now to be inside some session inactivity time limit.)

I did that too. Because we had gotten an invite to the reveal, there was no way for us to both be in line in Rocklin and also make our flight down to the reveal, so I waited because I was told it wouldn't matter because I was a previous owner. Of course there was no way for me or anyone at Tesla to know that there would be a substantial delay in production combined with the current uncertainty about the tax credit, but really, I am very sure that the Model 3 will be well worth its price whether we get the tax credit or not. So I am disappointed not to have gotten my invite yet, but not unhappy with Tesla over it.

Great attitude! That's my mindset as well now. It'd be a bit messy after next Saturday with just one car (the S) - with wife's car's lease ending - but, we can grin and bear for a few weeks. Regarding the tax credit, it'd indeed be more than nice to get it one way or the other but, that's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess.

Reactions: navguy12
What does getting a 2018 VIN do? Is there even such a thing?

In theory, it should make no difference. In practice, it does make a difference. I have a 2014 with autopilot. Those came out when the rest of the world was calling their cars 2015 models. It's effectively a 2015 model, has the features of the 2015 model, and was available with essentially the same features through early 2016. Any car from any of those years with the identical features should be worth about the same once adjusted for mileage and condition. Yet KBB values my car at about $1800 less than one made 3.1 months later that's otherwise identical. Consumer Reports does claim that my model year is less reliable because of drive train issues, but I have a 2016 drive train. Reliability issues don't have the same significance as with other cars where fixing something on the engine might not have the same effect if the engine from one model year is less reliable than one from a different model year with a different design. When Tesla replaces something, they use parts that meet the latest spec.

With other manufacturers, the price difference makes sense because there are feature changes when the model year changes. With Tesla it makes no sense to say that my car is closer in value to one made in January 2014 than one made in January 2015, given that it has the same features as the latter but not the former.

That being said, the VIN for my Model 3 is for a 2017 even though I don't anticipate getting it with more than two weeks left to the year. It might carry a stigma from those who decide years from now that the first ones made might have quality problems, but we'll have to wait and see. Ironically it's not likely that ones made a few weeks later would be much different even if it proves to be the case that the average reliability for 2018 is higher, and one made in January 2018 could be more different from one made in December 2018 than it would be from mine, but the latter two would have the same bluebook value if the mileage and condition is the same.

Somebody might be better off holding off for a 2018 VIN even though the car will be the same. Or it might make a difference with respect to tax credits since anything could happen between now and when the tax bills get reconciled. It's all speculation but there is a bias based on how the rest of the industry assigns model years.

I received my email config invite on Wednesday, Nov 22 at 1:43pm. I acted immediately, and at 1:59pm I received an email confirming that my order was placed. They said 4 weeks delivery time.

I waited in line the first morning to sign up and was about 200th in line. I'm in Los Angeles and I bought a Model S, March, 2013, then drove it cross country in April, 2014 and bought another Model S in July, 2014.

I reserved two Model 3s. One we selected first group, and one we selected second group.

For some who want to engage their tax accountants, you can look at changing your tax year:
IRS instructions: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1128.pdf

For those who own a Tesla and were in line early, did you select the RWD selection at My Account to register your preference for early ordering?

I did select RWD a few weeks ago just to get an early invite sinee I was hoping for a M3 test drive. I also own two Teslas (one 2012 Signature) if that makes any difference that my invite email arrived on 12/8. I know one Roadster owner who placed an M3 order over a week ago, yet he reserved about the same time I did.

Last edited: