Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] CA Current owners ONLY. Have you received your config invite yet?

As a current Tesla owner, Have you received your configuration email yet?

• Yes

Votes: 198 65.3%
  • No

Votes: 105 34.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my configure email today. I'm a current owner. I was maybe number 100 in line on day one.

They're saying 4 weeks to delivery. It would be a bummer to miss the federal tax credit by days.. Hopefully it'll come a few days early or the republicans will keep the credit.

I got my invitation to configure today as well (9:28 am to be exact). I'm a current model S owner and we got in line at the Corte Madera, California Tesla gallery at around 8 am on day 1. I'm definitely glad we went to the Freemont Tesla delivery center last weekend ( Pictures of production Model 3s ) so we knew what the different color and wheel options looked like in real life and we were ready to finalize the configuration soon after we got the email. I didn't realize it beforehand, but you have to put down an additional $2,500 deposit to get things moving. Once you confirm, the original $1000 and new $2,500 both become non refundable. We also were told that the car would be delivered in four weeks which will put it into 2018. But we'll move some money around so we're ready to pounce if a car becomes available in 2017.

It's still a bit of a leap of faith to buy a car without a test drive, but my wife and I have been very happy with the model S.

Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla
Um, where? This is what Tesla's CPO listings look like:
tesla-cpo-high-mileage-1.png
I think he is referring to the EV-CPO.com website where you can sort cars by different fields. The Tesla website is only good for seeing pictures and features. It is not very good for looking at the inventory.

Last edited:
Seems like people either got invites today or their schedule got updated.

Owner in WA state, second-day reservation. My delivery estimator got revised from (IIRC) Feb-April to new estimate of December 2017 - January 2018. However, I am outside of CA, I have not received an invitation, and the folks above who have received invitations have delivery estimates of four weeks. So it's obvious I cannot get delivery this month. Not unless they send me an invitation very soon, and then deliver in 2 weeks instead of 4.

So my delivery estimate is clearly way off, though January is still an outside possibility. Maybe Roadster owners are getting a bit of an added priority boost? Or they are now expecting a lot of the CA-owner orders to postpone. Or, much more likely, the delivery estimator had a brain fart.

I am now very optimistic of getting my car before June. :)

I look at the Delivery Estimator more along the lines of delivery configurator...within that specified time frame you will get to configure your car for delivery, not necessarily delivery of it. Had the production line issues been non-existent at the start, which seemed highly unlikely for a new car/production line, I'm sure it would be otherwise.

For those who mentioned having a Nov-Jan date, to me it still means you are in the initial period for Telsa owners/non-employee and most likely ahead of those now getting Dec-Feb time frames. Hard to be patient, I understand. I'm in the Dec-Feb range and unless things really ramp up, thinking we'll get our invite in February.

Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Completely unfounded theory that someone can easily disprove:

I think only owners got their delivery windows adjusted. Is everyone showing Nov-Jan is probably just a super early line waiter, or do we have any owners still showing that as of *right now*?

Owner in WA state, second-day reservation. My delivery estimator got revised from (IIRC) Feb-April to new estimate of December 2017 - January 2018. However, I am outside of CA, I have not received an invitation, and the folks above who have received invitations have delivery estimates of four weeks. So it's obvious I cannot get delivery this month. Not unless they send me an invitation very soon, and then deliver in 2 weeks instead of 4.

So my delivery estimate is clearly way off, though January is still an outside possibility. Maybe Roadster owners are getting a bit of an added priority boost? Or they are now expecting a lot of the CA-owner orders to postpone. Or, much more likely, the delivery estimator had a brain fart.

I am now very optimistic of getting my car before June. :)

I've never heard of the delivery estimator giving a two month window. It's always been either a vague term ("Early 2018") or a 3 month window.

I look at the Delivery Estimator more along the lines of delivery configurator...within that specified time frame you will get to configure your car for delivery, not necessarily delivery of it.

This makes a lot of sense.

I've never heard of the delivery estimator giving a two month window. It's always been either a vague term ("Early 2018") or a 3 month window.

I assure you that as of this morning (December 8, 2017, around 9:00 a.m. Pacific time) mine said Dec-Jan. This surprised me so much that I double-checked, and re-loaded the page and checked a third time. I checked again just now (11:20 a.m. same day), and they've changed it to Dec-Feb.

Originally it was January-March. Then they changed it to February-April when a lot of people got a one-month delay. And now it's December-February. I'm in Washington State and I've owned my Roadster since 2011. Not CA, but still west coast, and if they prioritize Roadster owners, or if they prioritize by original date of ownership, that could give me a bit of a boost.

I'm still expecting delivery before June. :)

Got my config email today. I'm a new owner (less than 3 months, CPO) and placed my order Day Two, so a little surprised my number was called so soon. Configurator says First production models ready for delivery in 4 weeks, Base is early 18, and Dual Motor is spring 18.

I'm a new owner (less than 3 months, CPO) and placed my order Day Two, so a little surprised my number was called so soon.

Wow. So not only are they letting people order two cars by giving priority to both reservations for only owning a single S or X, which is the opposite of how they said it would work, they're letting new owners and late reservers order before people who waited in line at a store in California to reserve and owned Tesla at the the time that they still have.

I'm saddened to see that Tesla is screwing this up every bit as badly as I feared they would.

Completely unfounded theory that someone can easily disprove:

I think only owners got their delivery windows adjusted. Is everyone showing Nov-Jan is probably just a super early line waiter, or do we have any owners still showing that as of *right now*?

I'm a current owner and first day line waiter - reserved around noon 3/31 in San Diego. No invite yet. Delivery window Nov-Jan.

I'm a current owner and first day line waiter - reserved around noon 3/31 in San Diego. No invite yet. Delivery window Nov-Jan.

There we go, theory disproven. Thanks, legitimately.

At this point I don't think we can ascribe any sort of logic or reason to how they're doing this, because there's no longer any rational explanation for who is getting invites and who is showing what dates anymore.

Got my config email today. I'm a new owner (less than 3 months, CPO) and placed my order Day Two, so a little surprised my number was called so soon. Configurator says First production models ready for delivery in 4 weeks, Base is early 18, and Dual Motor is spring 18.

I wonder if maybe the 4 weeks is because they have not yet ramped up, and later invites, once things get going, might not take as long to deliver.

Wow. So not only are they letting people order two cars by giving priority to both reservations for only owning a single S or X, which is the opposite of how they said it would work, they're letting new owners and late reservers order before people who waited in line at a store in California to reserve and owned Tesla at the the time that they still have.

I'm saddened to see that Tesla is screwing this up every bit as badly as I feared they would.

Are they maybe prioritizing people who are closer to the factory? That might put some day-two people ahead of some day-one people if the latter are farther away even within California? It's hard to believe they're just drawing names out of a hat. It certainly would be nice if there was more transparency to the process.

I wonder if maybe the 4 weeks is because they have not yet ramped up, and later invites, once things get going, might not take as long to deliver.

Are they maybe prioritizing people who are closer to the factory? That might put some day-two people ahead of some day-one people if the latter are farther away even within California? It's hard to believe they're just drawing names out of a hat. It certainly would be nice if there was more transparency to the process.

Anecdotal evidence isn't worth much, but my main data point is a good friend who is on his second Model S, and has continuously owned at least one since before he waited in line at the Walnut Creek store to make his reservation. He lives about 25 minutes from the factory if traffic is average, and has not yet received his invite.

I am legitimately astonished at how badly they're screwing people over. I was angry the other day when I was having a generally bad day and took it out on people who didn't deserve it, but today I'm just sad for the folks who are going to miss out on an effective 25-35% discount on their car because Tesla made the decision not to stick to their word. I'm not the one getting hosed here, but Tesla should be reaching out to the people who are.