Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] CA Current owners ONLY. Have you received your config invite yet?

As a current Tesla owner, Have you received your configuration email yet?

• Yes

Votes: 198 65.3%
  • No

Votes: 105 34.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also at least one confirmed case of someone who doesn’t even own an S or X anymore getting an invite.
That person might have paid the cost of a new Tesla, or taken a used one off the market to push someone else to buy new, causing a margin revenue positive financial event for Tesla, money they needed. That is considered a positive in view of Tesla whether or not that owner subsequently sold their Tesla. Furthermore, since that owner, prior or not, has prior experience with a Tesla, they maintain the prior knowledge aspect, something considered useful for early adopter shakeout period.

Whether or not the Model 3 reservation holder is still "currently" a Tesla owner may or may not be relevant.

Also, it has not been clarified whether or not being a "Tesla Owner" includes other Tesla products the reservation holder owns and sees in their dashboard.

Last edited:
That person might have paid the cost of a new Tesla, or taken a used one off the market to push someone else to buy new, causing a margin revenue positive financial event for Tesla, money they needed. That is considered a positive in view of Tesla whether or not that owner subsequently sold their Tesla. Furthermore, since they have prior experience with a Tesla, they maintain the prior knowledge aspect, something considered useful for early adopter shakeout period.

If it's just about the money, they can tell me how much more they want and I'll consider it. Hell, I'll even buy the complete vaporware that is the FSD option even though I'll lose respect for myself. The prior experience, well, I've got plenty of that too.

Reactions: preilly44
I believe you're overthinking it. If you don't configure now, you go back when you're ready and as soon as you finish the order process you're inserted into the queue, just as would happen now.
Yeah, I think that's right. So, I went in and hit "HOLD MY PLACE". Then, it came up with a slew of new questions:

Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 12.41.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 12.41.25 AM.png

I filled it out to my best prediction and hit Submit. Tesla Account (used to be My Tesla) still shows the Model 3 as available to design, so apparently, the HOLD MY PLACE allows marketing to send out more invites to let others configure and deliver before me while not reducing my ability to immediately configure.

Last edited:
If it's just about the money, they can tell me how much more they want and I'll consider it. Hell, I'll even buy the complete vaporware that is the FSD option even though I'll lose respect for myself. The prior experience, well, I've got plenty of that too.
I think they also have the first come first serve (by region, model, prior relationship) considerations; if you didn't sign up early, you don't get it early. That's out of a notion of orderly fairness considering there's limited production capability during ramp-up.

Reactions: Sweet OJ
Yeah, I think that's right. So, I went in and hit "HOLD MY PLACE". Then, it came up with a slew of new questions:
At the bottom of the questions page it indicates that the registration address determines the pickup location. I would like to pick up near my relative's home in the SF Bay Area (Dublin or Fremont), not the nearest Tesla delivery center to my registration address, which would be Rocklin near Sacramento. Anyone know if this is possible?

Reactions: Pkmmte and Tonymil
At the bottom of the questions page it indicates that the registration address determines the pickup location. I would like to pick up near my relative's home in the SF Bay Area (Dublin or Fremont), not the nearest Tesla delivery center to my registration address, which would be Rocklin near Sacramento. Anyone know if this is possible?

I e-mailed asking if we could do a factory pickup and make a trip out of it since we have friends in the Bay area. Be fun to drive it back to So Cal. No response :(.

I e-mailed asking if we could do a factory pickup and make a trip out of it since we have friends in the Bay area. Be fun to drive it back to So Cal. No response :(.
On that note. I was thinking we should add a column to the google doc, have you had contact with an OA since confirmation of order. Been a week here with no contact or response to the order confirmation email that said to respond to that email with questions. Typical Tesla

On that note. I was thinking we should add a column to the google doc, have you had contact with an OA since confirmation of order. Been a week here with no contact or response to the order confirmation email that said to respond to that email with questions. Typical Tesla
I wonder how many e-mails they received the last weeks? 100 per day? I think Tesla is smart to use their limited manpower to get the cars to the market as soon as possible and neglect answering impatient customers.

Reactions: kbM3
I wonder how many e-mails they received the last weeks? 100 per day? I think Tesla is smart to use their limited manpower to get the cars to the market as soon as possible and neglect answering impatient customers.
This "impatient customer" just confirmed his order last Thursday with a 4 week delivery window. Now theres 3 weeks left and still crickets from any OA or next steps. They should respond to the small number of people they have sent invites too.

Reactions: Sweet OJ
In defense of Tesla, my Advisor responds within a few hours every single time I call or email her. I may be in the minority, but someone is working her tail off in Vegas. I still have no VIN, but she keeps telling me the same each day I reach out for an update. And she still seems to think 4 weeks is happening. We could get a VIN and take delivery within a few days, she has assured me.

It's still hard waiting, but have a nice drive tomorrow in my AP1 S to Vegas and it's pretty much AP from on-ramp to off-ramp there with a nice stop at Primm for some last minute xmas shopping!

Because the people answering emails are the same people working the assembly lines or doing rework or touchups or driving transporters? Oh - no, their job is to respond to customers. That's literally their job.

I can see how they aren't motivated to respond with "I have no further updates" but pretending that they are using that manpower to get to market quicker? That's just silly.

Reactions: Pkmmte and Sweet OJ
In defense of Tesla, my Advisor responds within a few hours every single time I call or email her. I may be in the minority, but someone is working her tail off in Vegas. I still have no VIN, but she keeps telling me the same each day I reach out for an update. And she still seems to think 4 weeks is happening. We could get a VIN and take delivery within a few days, she has assured me.

It's still hard waiting, but have a nice drive tomorrow in my AP1 S to Vegas and it's pretty much AP from on-ramp to off-ramp there with a nice stop at Primm for some last minute xmas shopping!

I think we have the same DS...

In Vegas. I heard from them about a week after ordering but only because I had emailed Tesla about another reservation that I had questions on. Not sure I would have heard otherwise. And it's not like it's done me any good; I know there's no VIN and she confirms that daily. ;)