Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll for current owners: first production or waiting?

Are you taking first production or waiting to order?

• I’ll order as soon as I get the invitation

Votes: 94 41.8%
  • I’m waiting for standard battery

Votes: 30 13.3%
  • I’m waiting for dual motors

Votes: 54 24.0%
  • I’m waiting for Performance

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • I’m waiting for white interior

Votes: 17 7.6%
  • I’m waiting for some combination of the other options

Votes: 24 10.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand your reasoning. Any structural elements where tow hitches would attach are hidden, just like they are on the Model X. You would look at the MX rear end and say "that can tow 5000 pounds", but the M3 can't tow??
There was a video on youtube where the owner took off the rear bumper and there was nothing structural underneath to support towing either.

• Disagree
Reactions: DR61
I'm waiting for the identification of the "something special for line-waiters" from Elon, along with dual motors. The "something special" would presumably be a configuration option (hence no postage or fulfillment costs and headaches).

Other than those two features, what would be nice to have? A non-black interior for sure, although the black headliner is the only way to go imo but the rest of it? Yeah, lighten it up. Then again, that's not hard to get done aftermarket.

Otherwise, aside from the stuff for which we're all waiting (360-degree view, in-car hotspot, camera stalks instead of side mirrors), the range is already decent and the car moves down the road without things falling off. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Hey, I'm easy.

There was a video on youtube where the owner took off the rear bumper and there was nothing structural underneath to support towing either.
Thanks. I'd be very interested in watching this!. If you can point me to this, it would help. I searched and could not find it. All I found was someone looking at outside of the back and saying there is no way it could tow.

I would have done first production if I could get delivery before the end of the year. I fear the tax break will disappear in 2018. As a current owner of two Teslas, I was hoping for an invite soon.

When the AWD comes out, I will probably order if the tax break is around. If gone, I will stick with my AP1.0 Model S for a few years. The Model Y would work better for me.

All about that Tax Credit.

All I want in the first production the Long Range battery and shorter time frame, and can do without most PUP, but would splurge if tax credit exists.
If the Tax Credit is GOPed away, would wait until Long Range is decoupled from PUP.

Reactions: ölbrenner
Thanks. I'd be very interested in watching this!. If you can point me to this, it would help. I searched and could not find it. All I found was someone looking at outside of the back and saying there is no way it could tow.
3:10
He doesn't take the panel completely off on camera, claimed that he did unbolt the panel and found nothing under.
p.s. I think it's quite sad I was able to recall the exact video instantly......... ELON I CAN'T WAIT ANYMORE BLARGH

He doesn't take the panel completely off on camera, claimed that he did unbolt the panel and found nothing under.
p.s. I think it's quite sad I was able to recall the exact video instantly......... ELON I CAN'T WAIT ANYMORE BLARGH
I watched that video also. This detailer knows very little about how tow bars/hitch mounts are usually attached. Having installed several myself, they usually attach to the bumper mounts and/or structural members behind them, which are necessarily very strong. Definitely not conclusive in any way.

Thanks -- that's the one I found previously. I doubt that there is nothing under there. There has to be a bumper and the frame supports for it. That's what the Model X hitch attaches to, as well as the aftermarket Model S hitches.

I've decided to be patient and live vicariously through you all for a few years - thanks for the ride :) Besides I want to pay off the S and have a few years of no car payments! I figure by the time I buy it will be as big a technological leap as the Model S felt like when it was new, if not bigger!

Reactions: AlanSqB
I received my configuration e-mail for my two reservations, but am waiting for AWD on one and the low cost version on the other. The configuration portal allows me to configure, but I wonder if the AWD and small battery will just appear on that when available.

Question: Will all the invitees be given the option to order these other configurations once they go live? That will create quite a rush of orders I imagine. Unless you are one of the first few to configure, you may be waiting many months as the backlog of those works through production.

Reactions: AlanSqB
I received my configuration e-mail for my two reservations, but am waiting for AWD on one and the low cost version on the other. The configuration portal allows me to configure, but I wonder if the AWD and small battery will just appear on that when available.

Question: Will all the invitees be given the option to order these other configurations once they go live? That will create quite a rush of orders I imagine. Unless you are one of the first few to configure, you may be waiting many months as the backlog of those works through production.
Well, this topics Poll suggests ~25% are waiting for AWD. Assuming US reservations is about 300,000, total AWD deliveries will be 75,000.
At 5,000 a week (Tesla prediction end of Q1) they could deliver these M3s in 15 weeks. Average waiting time will then be 7-8 weeks.