Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How reliable was your Tesla?

I brought my Tesla back for service after “x” period from purchase

• Within first month

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • Within six months

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • Within first year

Votes: 13 10.1%
  • Within two years

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • No issue so far, perfect delivery vehicle

Votes: 47 36.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
32K miles and 3 years later with no major mechanical/electrical issues.

I've had a few minor things like a squeaky center console. I've also had annoying rattles where some were taken care of, and others are only on specific types of roads.

I believe I brought it back within the first month to take care of things I didn't notice on delivery. But, I don't think that really counts as far as reliably is concerned. Heck I can't even remember what it was even for. I do have to click the first month though as a direct interpretation of the poll.

On my last scheduled maintenance they caught something, but it was more preemptive than something actually failing.

After initial quality issues fix like rattling and mirror folds etc, I am at 15K miles without anything done. I am debating if I should change the cabin filter myself and go for another 20K miles before paying for any service on my car.

Just replaced the oem tires with perreli. Hopefully these will be problem free for the next 50K miles.

I am really a big fan of never needing to take my car in for any work. I just want to drive the car.

Reactions: bnsfengineer
  • 2017 Model X 100D --> Taken in for service in first month with Parking Brake Needs Service issue and was not driveable. --> 5 days out of service in first month
  • 2017 Model S P100D --> Taken in for service in first month for Air Suspension needs service and both rear struts and air compressor replaced. --> 7 days out of service in first month

So far these 2 cars are the least reliable cars I have ever owned, and as no other new car I have owned (Inifinitis, Volvos, BMWs, Mercedes, Chevrolets, Audis) have ever been in for any service that required parts replacement or ever rendered them undriveable, nor have I ever had to even leave any of them overnight for service I will say there is no chance Tesla does not remain as the least reliable cars I have ever owned.

Still love driving both cars and like a lot about them, but the reliability is terrible.

I bought my cpo 2014 in February 2016. Had to fix some issues in the first months like the a/c compressor being replaced and two door handles. Otherwise I haven't been back except for a suspension adjustment (air suspension brushings - not sure that's the right word) were replaced proactively. I find it amazing that the car runs so well (like new!) after putting 45k miles on it in less then 2 years.

There will be out of warranty costs when mine finishes in 2018 but I don't expect important costs and I think that the depreciation on the car will be greater than the cost of repairs. So I figured that keeping the car for a few more years is the way to go.

I could obviously be wrong but it's the bet I'm taking.

Reactions: bnsfengineer
After a couple of months, my passenger-side headlight would make a slight humming noise while parked. Maybe it did it from day one, but it took me a few months to notice. The headlight worked and certainly not a serious issue. I brought the issue up at my first annual service and they diagnosed that the fan inside the headlight was not turning off when it should. I had to bring it back since they needed to order the part and I had that replaced the same time that they did the parking-brake recall service. No other issues in 17 months and 19k miles.

My P100D has been in for service 3 times since delivery! One for chrome trim being misaligned, sunroof leakage whenever I go through a car wash, and my windshield having bubbles in it. Tesla still hasn't fixed 2 out of 3 of these issues. They fixed the chrome trim. But technically they still didn't fix it because it's still not even. But I can live with it.

On the one hand mine's been to the service center quite a bit (drive unit replaced, Battery replaced twice, loud AC fixed, brake rotors replaced, coolant pump replaced, R control arm replaced). But on the other hand, with Ranger Service they deliver a loaner to me, I just hand over the keys, drive the loaner for a while, then take the keys back the same way. Minimal hassle factor. The only time I was stranded was for a flat tire. Total cost? $0. The only time I've been to the service center myself was for an owner's party.

But on the other hand, with Ranger Service they deliver a loaner to me, I just hand over the keys, drive the loaner for a while, then take the keys back the same way. Minimal hassle factor.
I've had mine in every other month for a year. One of their drivers curbed it. They refused to replace the wheel, repair only. They refused to replace the other front tire to match tread. I live 60-90 minutes from the SC. Too afraid to let them drive it round trip the one time it was offered...

I've taken my car in a few times:
- leather on driver's seat wasn't attached fully
- discoloration on driver's side interior door handle
- water getting in tail light assembly
- wonky operation of one of the door handle presentation motors

All of this was fixed under warranty. Easy process, loaner cars, no interruptions of my schedule, etc.

Maybe this is "unreliable" but it's been fine by me. All the pluses of my experience far, far outweigh this stuff.