Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Now that they are increasing FSD from $3k to $5k, will you be purchasing it?

Will you be purchasing FSD during configuration now that the price will be increasing?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And, as we have to point out, FSD isn't FSD. :D People think it means Level 5 autonomy when it means that and everything else above EAP. We were promised the first steps above EAP over a year ago and that's still coming. So, it's not a jump to ' take a nap in the back seat', it's whatever feature that FSD cars get that EAP ones will NOT get. Do you want to miss out? Well, do ya? :D

Your increasingly narrow hypothetical (and keeping in mind I grew up in the dirt and mud, and having drove off-road in the mud for a living) ain't convincing me here. If you keep going improbably thin to say "well it could go this far, then whatcha going to do?" is ignoring the fatter chunk of the probably tail before that.

That's Bad Math.
And why are you comparing yourself who grew up in mud to an average driver? Once you encounter a situation over and over again of course you will learn how to deal with it. Does it make you somehow superior to a person, who got splashed with mud for a first time in their life and does not yet have a strategy to deal with it? Is this a pissing contest or we're talking about FSD?

Makes me wonder if those of us who have already purchased and declined FSD at 3k will still be able to get the price advertised at 4K for after configuration purchase that was in place earlier?
I would hope so. Just one month ago, I had to make a decision to (1) purchase FSD for $3K at time of purchase, or (2) have the option to purchase FSD later for $4K. Those were the terms of my purchase. So I chose to have the option to purchase FSD later for $4K. I understand that if the pricing goes down, Tesla may or may not decide to extend (as a courtesy) the option to purchase it at a lower price. But I would not expect that Tesla could decide to increase the cost of my option higher. I would hope that Tesla would understand that part of the purchasing decision is choosing from the options available.

Reactions: MIT_S60
I would hope so. Just one month ago, I had to make a decision to (1) purchase FSD for $3K at time of purchase, or (2) have the option to purchase FSD later for $4K. Those were the terms of my purchase

Wellllll, no. The terms of your purchase included FSD or it didn't. An upgrade later will cost whatever the upgrade costs. ('tis life unfortunately)

I would hope that Tesla would understand that part of the purchasing decision is choosing from the options available.
They do exactly, so now because of the options available, people are more likely to purchase FSD because the cost to upgrade later is so high. They've discovered that $1000 was not a steep enough penalty to encourage the immediate purchase.

That said, since you did order previously and you're just finding out about the price increase, there's a chance they'll honor the $4k price if you contact them right now. If you wait until they actually have some FSD software, then it'll be too late.

Part of the money toward FSD goes to the research in building the thing in the first place.

Reactions: kbM3 and Gen3
And why are you comparing yourself who grew up in mud to an average driver?

"Have you ever had your whole windshield splashed and covered with mud? I had." - Moderatefan

Once you encounter a situation over and over again of course you will learn how to deal with it. Does it make you somehow superior to a person, who got splashed with mud for a first time in their life and does not yet have a strategy to deal with it?

Because moving, shifting around to get a better view is so counter-intuitive? It's what we do as humans outside driving. Before we ever drive. It's a basic strategy we use. You might not have noticed if you hadn't taken the time to observe closely, because it's generally at an instinctual level.

Is this a pissing contest or we're talking about FSD?

"Have you ever had your whole windshield splashed and covered with mud? I had." - Moderatefan

Last edited:
Wellllll, no. The terms of your purchase included FSD or it didn't. An upgrade later will cost whatever the upgrade costs. ('tis life unfortunately)

They do exactly, so now because of the options available, people are more likely to purchase FSD because the cost to upgrade later is so high. They've discovered that $1000 was not a steep enough penalty to encourage the immediate purchase.

That said, since you did order previously and you're just finding out about the price increase, there's a chance they'll honor the $4k price if you contact them right now. If you wait until they actually have some FSD software, then it'll be too late.

Part of the money toward FSD goes to the research in building the thing in the first place.
I disagree. If the terms of my purchase were as you state, then the option should state "buy for $3K now or you can add later for the then current upgrade price." Why even list $4K if Tesla can change it at any time? There would be no reason. Ultimately, I may get screwed by this but I would certainly raise a stink about it (and yes, I understand that no one may listen if Tesla decides that they don't want to accept $4K to flip a switch). Again, relatively simple to me. "I am going to sell you this car, you can add this option right now for $3K or you can add it later for $4K." That was exactly the offer on the table. And I think that Tesla will honor that. They usually do the right thing. Right now it still shows as $4K for the FSD option.

Reactions: MIT_S60
Why even list $4K if Tesla can change it at any time? There would be no reason.

Sure there is. You could have bought it at any time between delivery of the vehicle and 2 days ago. When Musk talked about bringing out the first FSD feature in August there were people that considered buying it. It's a product that you can choose to purchase at any time, for the current price, until such point that they decide to not sell it anymore.

I haven't gone through the full process of buying a Tesla yet, so haven't read all the details of the paperwork involved, but just from the order site I cringed every time someone asserted they were sure it the aftermarket price wasn't going to budge. That it was a guarantee that the product would always be available for purchase and always at that price.

I think the only reason this is happening is they are not seeing enough people purchase it up front. So to 'scare' these people who are on the fence with a larger gap, they're hoping to push them into coughing up the money now and help their profits now.
I understand this, but why raise it to $5k for those that have already bought a Tesla then? If I didn't pay for it at $4k, why would I pay for it at $5k, especially when it still does nothing?

I disagree. If the terms of my purchase were as you state, then the option should state "buy for $3K now or you can add later for the then current upgrade price." Why even list $4K if Tesla can change it at any time? There would be no reason. Ultimately, I may get screwed by this but I would certainly raise a stink about it (and yes, I understand that no one may listen if Tesla decides that they don't want to accept $4K to flip a switch). Again, relatively simple to me. "I am going to sell you this car, you can add this option right now for $3K or you can add it later for $4K." That was exactly the offer on the table. And I think that Tesla will honor that. They usually do the right thing. Right now it still shows as $4K for the FSD option.
Showing as $5k for the FSD option for myself (AP2.0 MCU1) as of last night.

I understand this, but why raise it to $5k for those that have already bought a Tesla then? If I didn't pay for it at $4k, why would I pay for it at $5k, especially when it still does nothing?

I assume it's simply that they feel there is more money to be gained trying to scare people into buying it up front vs trying to get people who opted originally to actually buy it later on down the road. By increasing the penalty for buying it later, they are hoping that will increase the amount of people that will buy it up front.

Reactions: Gen3
I assume it's simply that they feel there is more money to be gained trying to scare people into buying it up front vs trying to get people who opted originally to actually buy it later on down the road. By increasing the penalty for buying it later, they are hoping that will increase the amount of people that will buy it up front.
Again, that totally makes sense for new orders, but for current owners (who purchased under the terms of "$3k now or $4k later"), it only lowers the incentive to upgrade at this point (it would be a different story if they said the price would be going up at some future date, so lock in your price today).

Haha

No

EAP is still a neat driving trick, shelling out even more for whatever this ends up being is even more laughable. Please note, I do think, and do cheer on this future, I just am not going to part with more of my money for it until it becomes much, much better than it is right now.

Sure there is. You could have bought it at any time between delivery of the vehicle and 2 days ago. When Musk talked about bringing out the first FSD feature in August there were people that considered buying it. It's a product that you can choose to purchase at any time, for the current price, until such point that they decide to not sell it anymore.

I haven't gone through the full process of buying a Tesla yet, so haven't read all the details of the paperwork involved, but just from the order site I cringed every time someone asserted they were sure it the aftermarket price wasn't going to budge. That it was a guarantee that the product would always be available for purchase and always at that price.
Well it's possible but that would be pretty silly of me to say no to FSD at purchase but then decide 15 days later to purchase it for $1000 more. Sure it's possible, but it just doesn't make much sense.
More appropriately, Tesla could have easily said "you can buy for $3000 now, or you can buy for market price later, which can change. The current post-delivery price is $4000. It would have been very easy to do that. It probably would not have changed my decisions but some might have. Regardless, it appears that Tesla is again doing what is right and indicating that owners that were given a $4000 upgrade option will indeed have that option. That is the right outcome IMO.

I use AP pretty much every time I get in the car. Mostly on local roads. I love it. I expect with the FSD Features starting to roll out in August with v9 it will soon get much better since FSD Features are mostly for local roads and EAP is mostly for Freeway Driving. The feature that I want most is Stop Sign Detection where it comes to a stop. I am ok with deciding when to continue. Then the same for Stop Lights. Once that is done I am not sure I have a priority of what comes after.