Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Now that they are increasing FSD from $3k to $5k, will you be purchasing it?

Will you be purchasing FSD during configuration now that the price will be increasing?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I made a decision not to spend the extra money for FSD for two reasons:

1) I am not confident it will be legal for quite a while, regardless of progress made on the tech

2) I cannot justify the cost at this time, whether its $3k or $30k.

So I can wait, and if I need the feature in the future, I'll pony up the extra cash.

I tend to buy things after the software is released and not on speculation. It was a year before AP 1 hardware was active and about 2 years before it was good. AP 2 hardware was released the end of 2016, and only now it is as good or better than AP1. Over the last 18 years, I've had 10 cars. By the time FSD is "good" I will probably be looking for a new car and will just get it at that time.

It bothers me that a good portion of Tesla prospects, even those who frequent TMC get sucked in by Musk's promise of FSD and are willing to pay for it in advance. On this issue, I am with the bears. Musk and Tesla are selling snake oil. And there are quite a few customers who are falling for it. Travesty on both counts.

It bothers me that a good portion of Tesla prospects, even those who frequent TMC get sucked in by Musk's promise of FSD and are willing to pay for it in advance. On this issue, I am with the bears. Musk and Tesla are selling snake oil. And there are quite a few customers who are falling for it. Travesty on both counts.

So you think FSD is a myth or do you still think it's incredibly far off?

I don't think the current rendition of Tesla vehicles have sufficient hardware and compute capacity to go beyond L3.

I would be surprised even if they barely touched L3.

I am Tesla fanboi allright, but I am also educated in STEM with a computer science major and by profession. So I am not convinced.

I don't think the current rendition of Tesla vehicles have sufficient hardware and compute capacity to go beyond L3.

I am Tesla fanboi allright, but I am also educated in STEM with a computer science major and by profession. So I am not convinced.
But what's your background in AI? Inference happens at constant time and with multiple vehicles on the road the computation is linear if they use the principles laid out in MobilEye's RSS paper from last year.

I'm curious what you think they are missing?

I'm not sure how they get to L 4/5 proper as is. My best guess is they are going to try using stereo-scope w/cameras for reading a 3D model but that takes a lot of processing power. It's not what they are doing on production cars right now, they just aren't using their sensors to anywhere the full potential. However even setting that aside I'm at low confidence they'll ever get enough reliability out of passive sensors in the optic range, even when combined with slowing down and using radar to deal with dust/rain/fog.

I'm of the opinion that actual L 5 is several years away (at least). For anyone, much less implementing at the order of magnitude of $ cost that Tesla is aiming at. Waymo, the nearest to shipping an actual automated driving system product, is solidly stuck in L4 by design and the system is > an order of magnitude more costly.

What Tesla might be able to do is add useful driver assist features beyond AP that are usually enough that they are nominally worth $3000 to drivers. I'm interested in what they roll out as a feature under the FSD umbrella in August.

"Have you ever had your whole windshield splashed and covered with mud? I had." - Moderatefan
Because moving, shifting around to get a better view is so counter-intuitive? It's what we do as humans outside driving. Before we ever drive. It's a basic strategy we use. You might not have noticed if you hadn't taken the time to observe closely, because it's generally at an instinctual level.

Ok, again "whole windshield"... where will you move? The scenario it is raining, truck/semi comes from the opposite direction and gets into pothole in front of you. There is really nowhere you can move. You are blind for 2-3 seconds while going high speed.
With all your mud experience, it is only good for exceptional case when you windshield is mostly clear or you can wait to lazily open a side window assuming you're driving somewhere offroad with no cars around you and no worries.

There are scenarios with no redundancies, where you can just hope for the best. Tire blown etc. For the average driver who doesn't do any crazy racing or ice skating stuff the best solution is to just stop asap. That is what I expect from FSD.

Ok, again "whole windshield"... where will you move?

*facepalm*

Already explicitly addressed where your Bad Math wheels are falling off here. Please take the time to reread.

EDIT:

For the average driver who doesn't do any crazy racing or ice skating stuff the best solution is to just stop asap. That is what I expect from FSD.

Setting the bar for FSD at "average driver" is a fundamental error. Clearly you aren't in the mood to believe me about anything so you'll do yourself a favour to go find someone else to explain to you why. :(

• Disagree
Reactions: Moderatefan
To date I have seen no evidence that the camera(s) are being used for anything other than lane lines. Even there, they only do a so-so job. For example, they can't see past an intersection break in the lines. They can't apparently see further to see the lines continue on the other side of the intersection and also to use the GPS data to know they are entering an intersection so there will be a break in the lines. This won't work in 100% of the situations but it should work in 90% and for the other 10% sound a driver take over alarm. If it properly uses the GPS map data it could approach 99% to account for the odd shaped intersection where the continuation of the road is not in a straight line ahead.

Reactions: AustinPowers
It is easy to get caught up in all the technical discussions and yays and nays on how far Tesla will get with their implementation of FSD. The one thing I know having purchased FSD that you cannot put a price on is the anticipation of what FSD features will get rolled out and how much fun it will be to try them. Is that worth $3k. For me yes, even though I have no idea how far Tesla will get with FSD. What I do know is it will make for some interesting posts later this year and in the future! You can be sure others will be interested in the feedback both the good and the bad!

To date I have seen no evidence that the camera(s) are being used for anything other than lane lines.

narrow_new.jpg

source: A rare look at what Tesla Autopilot can see and interpret
Thanks to @verygreen

• Love
Reactions: kbM3
I use AP pretty much every time I get in the car. Mostly on local roads. I love it. I expect with the FSD Features starting to roll out in August with v9 it will soon get much better since FSD Features are mostly for local roads since EAP is mostly for Freeway Driving. The feature that I want most is Stop Sign Detection where it comes to a stop. I am ok with deciding when to continue. Then the same for Stop Lights. After that
Tesla's "pricing trick" worked on me. I was originally planning to not get FSD and just pay the extra $1000 if and when it becomes worthwhile, but an extra $2000 is a 67% price increase over the $3000 charge when getting it with the car. It'll take 8 years of average 7% annual increase in investments to make up for the 67% difference and I think enough FSD features will be ready well before then. I took the gamble when I configured. Hope it pays off :)
I got FSD on my Model S Sept. 2017. I believe you made the right decision. For me is was when would you pull the trigger to spend $5,000 if not willing to spend $3,0000 now. Let us say they add Stop Sign Detection. My guess is you will say. Still not work $5,000 just for that.. Then they add Stop Light detection and you will say the same thing. At some point you will say okay now is the time to spend the money and maybe you lost a 1 year of using the new features that could start rolling out this year. Anyway, that is how I was looking at it.

Reactions: aronth5 and EinSV

I think a Level 3 system would be worth $3k, which is why I bought. I am not expecting level 4 or 5 at all, if Tesla can provide level 3 on freeways and in stop and go, that is worth the $$ to me. Audi is releasing a Level 3 system for stop and go under 25 mph, which is still huge if you live here in So Cal and drive the freeways often. Even if Tesla just got us that capability, it is probably worth $3k to me.

Reactions: Blue in NC