Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those not on Twitter: Elon just tweeted this... But I keep my expectations low...

6E1F9756-775F-4609-AEF4-1A4FAE0A3C47.jpeg

Yes! This is a significant safety issue. I listen to audiobooks on USB, and I have devoted too much attention (while driving) to trying to go back 30 seconds or find my location when deciding to resume listening.

For USB, the interface is almost designed to make you crash. I still haven't figured out how to scrub reliably. So far, it seems I must pause the audio, then tap near the beginning(?) and slide my finger. It often doesn't work.

Fix: DIsplay elapsed time and time remaining, add +15 and -15 second buttons, make scrubbing work with coarse and fine control related to vertical finger position.
(Emphasis in the quoted post was done by me)

No, in this case, it is NOT a safety issue: it is a CONVENEINCE issue. There is nothing about listening to a podcast or music that you are required to do to drive your car. The only safety issues in this case are being caused by the driver.

Both my husband (MS) and I (Model 3) are now on V11 and neither of us are liking many of the changes. You really have to spend time finding and locating things as a lot has changed. Where it use to be easy to see TeslaCam and the SentryMode icons at the top of the display it's no longer there so controlling it is not as easy. Seems to us like a lot of basic functions have been made more difficult to locate and use.

Here's one thing I'll call out. As for TeslaCam's "1-hour buffer", I'm not quite sure what the software is now doing or what to expect it to do. I checked my dashcam footage today and saw there was not 1 hour of saved continuous coverage in the RecentClips folder when the car was On like previously. I had 1 minute of video recording on all 4 cameras at 11:00:47 today when we went to leave. Then the next set of recordings started at 12:01:27 and continued to 12:11:30 when we had returned home and I paused the recording and took out the USB device. However today when we left home we drove to a location, car was parked but husband (driver) stayed in it listening to radio while I ran out for an errand, we left that location and drove to the last location where the car was parked, I (passenger) remained inside and was listening to the radio, and we left that location and subsequently drove home. The 12:01 recordings started when we were departing that last location, so everything before that was not on the card. I don't understand why the 11:00:47 minute was there but nothing after and not until 12:01. Only 10 minutes were recorded. Is there now NO 1-hour buffer just a 10-minute Buffer recorded??? I thought having a 1-hour buffer was a great thing and in fact did go back and view things that had been recorded during that time on a few locations.

As for saving a 10-minute segment, from what I've read so far in the latest manual (software 2021.44) you can either set your car to do it Manually or Automatically (in an accident situation which maybe detected or when the airbags are deployed). You have to apparently choose one or the other. Manually lets you decide to save something you might have wanted to go back and look at (not necessarily an accident but road or surrounding information). However if you have it set to that and you do get in an accident and are unconscious, you won't be conscious to manually save the 10 minutes. If you didn't have the car set to Save on Honk or didn't get a chance to honk, footage would be lost as well. And it doesn't seem you would have that nice 1-hour buffer that you might have been able to go back to. To me these changes to TeslaCam have reduced it's usefullness. Kind of making me wish I could add a real dashcam to the car.

Anyway advice is spend a bunch of time getting reacquainted with the new software version before heading out. It's has some major changes for many daily things you would do and you don't want to be hunting for things when you should be driving.

(Emphasis in the quoted post was done by me)

No, in this case, it is NOT a safety issue: it is a CONVENEINCE issue. There is nothing about listening to a podcast or music that you are required to do to drive your car. The only safety issues in this case are being caused by the driver.
I think you're saying that it shouldn't be a safety issue because people shouldn't let their attention be captured by something they are doing on the screen. I agree. However, given human tendencies, it's a safety issue.

Even safety-minded me can't resist. Think about the kind of people who are willing to text while driving.

Reactions: NoisyCricket
I have similar stick-on convex mirrors and I like them. Their view is similar to what's seen in the blind spot video, but I won't be removing the stickers.
Thanks for the response. I've been waiting for the blind spot camera capability and and happy we have it. HOWEVER, it still requires me to look somewhere else to see a potential traffic threat. My Fusion hybrid had convex mirrors built in and I really liked seeing all in once glance. Off to Amazon for me!

Reactions: WattWaster
Thanks for the response. I've been waiting for the blind spot camera capability and and happy we have it. HOWEVER, it still requires me to look somewhere else to see a potential traffic threat. My Fusion hybrid had convex mirrors built in and I really liked seeing all in once glance. Off to Amazon for me!
Driving today, I compared the convex mirror with the video. I think the video is just as good, but I can't break the fifty-year habit of looking in the sideview mirror.

Tap and drag up for the mini menu
Isn’t this one of the primary issues with the new UI? We shouldn’t need to figure our gestures like we do on a phone. It should be a rapid interaction with the screen without having to worry whether we have executed the wing command. The fact that you can perform different actions on the same spot of the UI should not be something one wants in a car.

The puzzling thing about the icon placement for TeslaCam and Sentry is that they removed them from the top of the display and buried them elsewhere without using that space that had them before. So why move them? They were in a very logical, visually noticeable spot on the screen before.

My husband put my device back in my car today after I had taken it out to check recordings using my laptop and he had no immediate visual on the screen it was now recording. Do not understand Tesla’s logic in some of these moves. Changes to the UI can’t come soon enough and hopefully make more sense to the driver.

Isn’t this one of the primary issues with the new UI? We shouldn’t need to figure our gestures like we do on a phone. It should be a rapid interaction with the screen without having to worry whether we have executed the wing command. The fact that you can perform different actions on the same spot of the UI should not be something one wants in a car.
I am definitely not disagreeing with you. I just saw it in the 20 second video after the update. I think it is pretty bad design to have unintuitive gestures like this.

I encourage EVERYONE not NOT HAPPY with this update to contact Tesla and don’t hold back letting them know what you think.
Why did they ruin the perfectly intuitive, and industry leading UI that attracted us to this car, and that we paid for.
Let the Class Actions begin!
And reporting to the NHTSA may also get Tesla moving on the fixes. I do believe that the inability to quickly and easily start the windshield defogger is a serious enough safety hazard for the NHTSA.