Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There were too many features that were lost from the main screen and made functionality much more difficult. A list of the ones I can think of and many other members already mentioned is written below.
  • Bluetooth
  • Wifi/LTE Signal
  • Homelink
  • Dashcam and Sentry
  • Downloads button
  • Driver Profiles
  • Still miss the Tesla logo from a software version from a while back – one click functionality that showed pertinent information about the car.
  • Maps is still half the screen when it was stated that we would have customization over changing its width.
  • Windshield Wiper – This is a big one! The wipers were never very good to begin with and now requires another button to get into.
  • Defroster – Again, requires another button to go into the climate controls.
  • Heated seats - Again, requires another button to go into the climate controls.
  • Missing quick access to tire pressures.
  • Missing quick access to odometer.
Yes, you can have some of the functions (dashcam and sentry) above that you lost placed at the bottom, but the bottom bar is limited to only four functions. Why don’t we have the option for more? This is a missed opportunity of space at the bottom bar. The customizable app launcher is not very customizable, it’s not even sorted in any logical manner. We should be given the option to move these functionalities to wherever we deem most fit to maximizes usability just like in our smart phones. “Simplifying” the UI made the car less pragmatic to drive. Maybe Tesla thought we forget about all the things we needed after watching the light show.

I do like the blind spot camera option, even if I find myself looking over my shoulders anyways; that's probably the most practical positive.

Overall, there are a lot more negatives over the positives here, many critical functionalities are buried deeper than before, and the so-called customization are limited in actual customization. I hope Tesla restores the key elements of the previous UI, but hey, at least we get to play Sonic the Hedgehog now!

Both my husband (MS) and I (Model 3) are now on V11 and neither of us are liking many of the changes. You really have to spend time finding and locating things as a lot has changed. Where it use to be easy to see TeslaCam and the SentryMode icons at the top of the display it's no longer there so controlling it is not as easy. Seems to us like a lot of basic functions have been made more difficult to locate and use.

Here's one thing I'll call out. As for TeslaCam's "1-hour buffer", I'm not quite sure what the software is now doing or what to expect it to do. I checked my dashcam footage today and saw there was not 1 hour of saved continuous coverage in the RecentClips folder when the car was On like previously. I had 1 minute of video recording on all 4 cameras at 11:00:47 today when we went to leave. Then the next set of recordings started at 12:01:27 and continued to 12:11:30 when we had returned home and I paused the recording and took out the USB device. However today when we left home we drove to a location, car was parked but husband (driver) stayed in it listening to radio while I ran out for an errand, we left that location and drove to the last location where the car was parked, I (passenger) remained inside and was listening to the radio, and we left that location and subsequently drove home. The 12:01 recordings started when we were departing that last location, so everything before that was not on the card. I don't understand why the 11:00:47 minute was there but nothing after and not until 12:01. Only 10 minutes were recorded. Is there now NO 1-hour buffer just a 10-minute Buffer recorded??? I thought having a 1-hour buffer was a great thing and in fact did go back and view things that had been recorded during that time on a few locations.

As for saving a 10-minute segment, from what I've read so far in the latest manual (software 2021.44) you can either set your car to do it Manually or Automatically (in an accident situation which maybe detected or when the airbags are deployed). You have to apparently choose one or the other. Manually lets you decide to save something you might have wanted to go back and look at (not necessarily an accident but road or surrounding information). However if you have it set to that and you do get in an accident and are unconscious, you won't be conscious to manually save the 10 minutes. If you didn't have the car set to Save on Honk or didn't get a chance to honk, footage would be lost as well. And it doesn't seem you would have that nice 1-hour buffer that you might have been able to go back to. To me these changes to TeslaCam have reduced it's usefullness. Kind of making me wish I could add a real dashcam to the car.

Anyway advice is spend a bunch of time getting reacquainted with the new software version before heading out. It's has some major changes for many daily things you would do and you don't want to be hunting for things when you should be driving.
So for dash cam, if you set it to Auto you can then honk the horn to capture manually whenever you need. The tiny little icon has now been replaced by a great big one. All you do is click on the car icon right there by your right hand, you can't miss it...unlike the tiny previous icon. Then a screen comes up and there is a massive record button. Do that if you don't want to honk the horn. As you said, its just a matter of getting acquainted with it.

AH yeah.. as someone said.. people leave brands over crap like this. Great tech and stupid menus. This was not an "improvement". An improvement would have been to hire some UX engineers and put some thought into the menus and how people use them. This is not a desk top computer.. I should not have to take my eyes off the road to go digging through submenus to find anything of importance. Then again, I am still a big believer in analog knobs for some controls. This complex of a meaning system should be user configurable to a degree. Something as simple as "here are 4 sizes and two locations for the speed". The lack of contrast on key data is appalling and I can tell its been designed by a 20 something and not someone with glasses and over 50.
It is interesting - I was thinking along the same lines and remembered the flames around the yoke. It seems that their UI philosophy is running ahead of their capabilities. The V11, the yoke, the lack of stokes, etc. would not be an issue if there is no driver. Unfortunately, they are super accurate when they classify the FSD as “beta”.

I haven’t installed V11 yet… can someone confirm what’s the deal with the Homelink “cancel” button shown in the post quoted above?
E.g., It works, but is too small to reliably tap? Or it doesn’t work at all?

And others have mentioned that to access the Homelink buttons, it requires digging into the menu, which deactivates the rear camera display. Is that only the case when the auto-open feature doesn’t pop up automatically?
Bump.

Can anyone answer the questions in the earlier post about the V11 Homelink button/display behaviors?

The puzzling thing about the icon placement for TeslaCam and Sentry is that they removed them from the top of the display and buried them elsewhere without using that space that had them before. So why move them? They were in a very logical, visually noticeable spot on the screen before.
They may come back. If you stand back, it's pretty clear what was going on with V11. Tesla were responding to issues raised by NEW customers who could not figure out the UI. Prior versions had some controls on the top of screen, some at the bottom, some on pop-up screens, some on the "cards" that you swiped. It wasn't obvious which of the icons along the top were buttons and which were just information. I imagine they had a gazillion new users asking where to find tire pressure .. and how to change wiper speeds etc. So the priority was to make the layout more logical for new users (forget RTFM, no-one does that any more).

Of course, in the process of making stuff more logical, they ran afoul of power users who had learned the quirks and appreciated the quick access to some features. I'd put money on these shortcuts being gradually added back over the next few releases. For example, the driver profiles is actually quite sensible in the Controls menu, except when you get in the car. (Has anyone except me noticed that its nice to be able to switch profiles and instantly compare the settings between profiles interactively?) So I would expect to see the profiles additionally appear at the screen top when you first get in the car, then vanish when you move into drive (which offers both the convenience power users want and the simplicity new users need).

At some point, I suspect Tesla will expand on the "apps" model and make heat seater buttons etc all "apps" so that you can pretty much setup your own "frequently used" buttons along the bottom, and thus render all the gnashing and wailing going on atm pretty much moot.

I think the specific rationale for TeslaCam etc was that neither were really required. Sentry Mode is pretty much a "set it and forget it" as far as the button goes. TeslaCam is trickier, but with the "record on horn" and Auto modes now the button again does seem redundant (and, in a serious accident, how easy is it to remember to press that button anyway?). Oh, and in fact if you add the TeslaCam "app" to the bottom bar you can trigger a record event from that button, so its still single press if you want/need it. (I stumbled on this, not sure if its documented anywhere).

I would also like to customize the bar...for a start make it clear not black...fonts for everything to be adjustable....design our own icons (a single large letter would be good enough for me).....give every button, no matter how many layers deep it is, the option to become an icon on the bar.....and have a top bar (and vertical ones on the sides)...

I think your answers to the poll are too specific. None of the choices really captures my feelings about V.11. To me it is a mixed bag. There are some improvements, but some negatives as well. The blind spot video is really the only thing that makes this an improvement (in my opinion), however the execution is poor. When the video is on, it overrides the homelink button. So when I turn into my driveway with the turn signal on, I cannot press the homelink button until the video goes away on the screen. I guess I could just not signal. I have also heard that the side turn signal light floods the camera at night and the blind spot video is not very helpful. I have not yet tested this.
Why not set the Homelink to open the garage automatically when you get home?

Reactions: drtimhill
Bump.

Can anyone answer the questions in the earlier post about the V11 Homelink button/display behaviors?
I can answer this. I, like many, were confused by the new Homelink behaviour since the homelink icon shows up in white when backing up but pressing it opens the full homelink menu and covers the cameras.

However, they have moved the actual Close Garage button to the bottom left. It is the same grey on grey on grey as everything else so it's easy to not notice it, but I will say now this is one of the few improvements since it's much easier to reach for the driver. That being said, if you get a phone call it will cover the button now, so it's not 100% fixed, but you can actually close the garage (or open it) without covering the rest of the screen.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311