Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does the vendor have the RIGHT to force updates on you?

I can see a time (like, right now) when it would be nice to have a 'vendor lock-out' that literally stops the vendor from making changes to your car without your permission.

if the vendors dont do this voluntarily, I would be ok with LEGISLATION that forces them to respect users and their wishes.

can the vendors police themselves or do we need the Big Stick(tm) approach?

I'd like to see this across the board for all devices. PERIOD. phones, anything else that can be flashed. user has a lock-out ability, by law, and vendor has to respect it.

(please discuss.)

I think it is a good idea to be able to lock out updates to your device if you choose. The only exception I can think of is critical safety or security issues and beta releases. I think beta releases can be changed or eliminated at any time and manufacturer makes no guarantees of functionality or availability in the future.

I have a 2016 S and noticed the media controls are lacking the "slider" and time remaining/time elapsed info for songs and podcasts. Just a big blank area where it used to be. Also the +15s -15s icons are gone. How do I fast forward or rewind? It wouldn't be a huge issue if the car didn't constantly lose its place on my podcast every time I get in and out.
Does your podcast app use next/previous track for 15/30s skip? (Mine does.) If so just press the left scroll wheel to the left or right.
There is another reason to check the tire pressures regularly, though : just 2 days back, when traveling out of town, we hit some wood debris (shredded 2x4s) on the freeway. I had to immediately check the tire pressures to check if I had incurred a flat.
Is there still a notification for low tire pressure?
And reporting to the NHTSA may also get Tesla moving on the fixes. I do believe that the inability to quickly and easily start the windshield defogger is a serious enough safety hazard for the NHTSA.
Would you happen to have a link handy?
Oh, and in fact if you add the TeslaCam "app" to the bottom bar you can trigger a record event from that button, so its still single press if you want/need it. (I stumbled on this, not sure if its documented anywhere).
Are you sure? I have the teslacam app on my shortcut bar and don't see that touching it records, just opens the menu. I'll double check though.

Does your podcast app use next/previous track for 15/30s skip? (Mine does.) If so just press the left scroll wheel to the left or right.

Are you sure? I have the teslacam app on my shortcut bar and don't see that touching it records, just opens the menu. I'll double check though.
To trigger clip recording you need to go to Controls, then click on the Icon that says "Recording", it will then bring up the familiar "Arrow down" clip saving icon. Pain in You-know-where

Reactions: Benbo
Reactions: Baluchi
Driving today, I compared the convex mirror with the video. I think the video is just as good, but I can't break the fifty-year habit of looking in the sideview mirror.
In case of an emergency if you have one place to look to make a quick maneuver, you will be glad to have the mirror view as cheap insurance. In an emergency situation when it really counts, you won't be looking down at your screen and I think this is what most Tesla owners fail to understand. They go on and on about tech and chastise people like me for using convex mirrors. But tech isn't always the answer or a safe replacement. Not to mention there is a huge camera recall. You won't see any recall for convex mirrors... 😉 just use rainX or something on them!!

Reactions: Benbo and jebinc
People are blaming the software developers for this mess - I think the blame lies with Musk. He looks forward to when driver input will be unnecessary and the screen will just be for entertainment, so that is how he directs the screen development - hide all those driver-related functions because we will soon not need them at all. Unfortunately "soon" to Musk is 10 years to us mortals.

In case of an emergency if you have one place to look to make a quick maneuver, you will be glad to have the mirror view as cheap insurance. In an emergency situation when it really counts, you won't be looking down at your screen and I think this is what most Tesla owners fail to understand. They go on and on about tech and chastise people like me for using convex mirrors. But tech isn't always the answer or a safe replacement. Not to mention there is a huge camera recall. You won't see any recall for convex mirrors... 😉 just use rainX or something on them!!

I've got the Suma Performance convex blind spot mirrors on my Model 3. I tried using the new blind spot camera feature for about a week, but eventually turned it off. The convex mirrors are much easier for me to use, because I always check over my shoulder regardless of what kind of blind spot technology is implemented. Since I'm turning my head to do a shoulder check, I'm already angled to view the mirror in whichever direction I'm changing lanes. I found the placement of the blind spot camera viewer was often covered by my wrist, and it also required a lot of back-and-forth head movements looking over my shoulder and then back to the camera. It just too much time when in heavy traffic. So it's convex mirrors for me!

I get the impression that there is a lot of, ‘what you are used to.....’, those who have had the car longer are bemoaning the changes very much as if someone came and relabeled all the dials and switches on your legacy car. Those who are new owners are happier as they never had the attachment to the older UI.
So perhaps a new poll, comparing how much you like/dislike the V11 against how long you’ve been driving a Tesla...

Yes, the notification for low tire pressure is still the same as before.

Reactions: NoisyCricket
I get the impression that there is a lot of, ‘what you are used to.....’, those who have had the car longer are bemoaning the changes very much as if someone came and relabeled all the dials and switches on your legacy car. Those who are new owners are happier as they never had the attachment to the older UI.
Another way to look at it is that the new owners don't know what they're missing. Here are two examples:

1. I have sketchy coverage around here. Before, if I wanted to use a voice command or send a text, I'd glance at the top of the screen to see if I had two bars. If I didn't, I would use the screen for the command or wouldn't try to send the text.

2. One glance would tell me the status of the seat heater, and I could change it with a tap or two without turning on the heat.

The new owners wouldn't know about those nice features, and they would be happy because ignorance is bliss.

Today I drove a few hours with the Car Controls panel up. I could easily see cell coverage as well as wiper status, and a few times I adjusted the wipers and once, even had occasion to adjust the profile. IOW, it was a reasonable workaround although I sometimes had to bring that screen up again after listening to audio or checking navigation.

Maybe someday there will be a user-customizable panel (window) with the things you use most.

...as for not a good idea if window is dry...how do you clean dirty windows of bug glue and dirt while on a road trip? I use wipers and the water spray...no damage to my windscreen...
Obviously you'd press the button all the way in! That's not an issue at all (before or after the V11 update). The point I was trying to make is that these changes have NOT made things BETTER than before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benbo
Touch the music icon.
There is no music icon anymore. Only icons for the individual services. And no way to go back to what was playing unless you remember which of the 6 (or are there more?) sources was playing, and potentially pinned.

For example, let's say I have the FM radio icon, camera, phone, and energy icons pinned. I get in the car, and the music that was playing before is playing. But I don't remember if it was Spotify, Tidal, TuneIn, etc... And the player is minimized.

How do I bring up the player with the current music playing? If I tap the FM radio icon, then it just switches to FM radio and starts playing that. I have to tap on the ellipses and then tap on each individual music service until I get to the right one. That's crazy.

Previously, you would just tap the music icon and it would bring up the player if it was minimized, and it would bring up the player with whatever was currently playing.

I noticed that too. If you replace the Radio icon with the orange Streaming icon in the tray it works better. This way when you press Streaming it opens the audio screen without interrupting whatever is currently playing on other sources and there is a drop down list of all audio options. It still doesn’t tell you which is currently active but at least you can poke around without stopping the music.

So for dash cam, if you set it to Auto you can then honk the horn to capture manually whenever you need. The tiny little icon has now been replaced by a great big one. All you do is click on the car icon right there by your right hand, you can't miss it...unlike the tiny previous icon. Then a screen comes up and there is a massive record button. Do that if you don't want to honk the horn. As you said, its just a matter of getting acquainted with it.
Honk is usually illegal unless it realy needed.