Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: "Systems are powering up" error message

Do you get an error message “Systems are powering up. Please press brake when this message clears"

• I do not get this error message

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I rarely get this error message on occasion, and it passes quickly.

Votes: 68 32.2%
  • I get this error message frequently, and it passes quickly.

Votes: 33 15.6%
  • I get this error message frequently, and it can take 15-30 seconds or more to clear.

Votes: 97 46.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

4SUPER9

2022 Model S
Jun 6, 2013
So Cal
There is another thread here about folks who have had problems with “starting” our cars. A message appears on the dash stating (font size and color match the actual message):

Systems are powering up.
Please press brake when this message clears.

I have been having this issue on my car Model S 75D since taking possession Dec 2019. I have been discussing this with Tesla support from the beginning, who say it is a firmware issue, yet no firmware has corrected the issue. When I had a loaner vehicle recently, I never saw this issue, not even once. That vehicle was on the latest firmware available at the time. Tesla asked me to log my data for them. A couple of days ago, Tesla pushed the most recent firmware version to me, to no avail. I continue to get this message extremely frequently, from several seconds, to 40 seconds, preventing me from driving, often when I must move quickly. This is most disturbing to me, and frustrating in a car that is so expensive. FYI, I have never had this once on the previous 2 Model S's I have owned, going back to 2013.

I would like to see who else is having this issue. Please comment as to what vehicle you have, software build, and year vehicle you have. I would love to have some additional data to provide to Tesla.

I have a 2016 Model S VIN 156XXX with Version 2018.50.6

I was getting this message every few times I got in the car about 2 weeks ago but only for for a few days. Only once did it last more than a couple of seconds. Haven't had that message in about 2 weeks.My last update was more than 2 weeks ago before I got that message.

This message is normal. It's the car going to sleep, and has to wake up.
This is far from normal. The message can appear and last 30 seconds even if I leave the car unattended for as little as 1 minute. Heck, even if I left the car for a cold soak overnight, this is not acceptable. For me, the message is often, though random. As I just said, it can appear after parked for a couple of minutes, and not appear if left overnight. What is the common thread here? Why triggers the vehicle to sleep sometimes (if that is what is happening)?

A car of this caliber and cost should "start" immediately. Name one other modern car that takes this long to start to drive. Heck, my 1949 Buick starts faster than my Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc
Has happened 3 times in 6 months. if it takes longer than 5 seconds, I just lift my butt of the seat and open and close the door(to make car think you left and power off screens) and sit back down and press the brake; this resolves it instantly for me.

I get too lazy to actually wait so not sure how long it'd be otherwise.

This is far from normal. The message can appear and last 30 seconds even if I leave the car unattended for as little as 1 minute. Heck, even if I left the car for a cold soak overnight, this is not acceptable. For me, the message is often, though random. As I just said, it can appear after parked for a couple of minutes, and not appear if left overnight. What is the common thread here? Why triggers the vehicle to sleep sometimes (if that is what is happening)?

A car of this caliber and cost should "start" immediately. Name one other modern car that takes this long to start to drive. Heck, my 1949 Buick starts faster than my Tesla.

Same. I could turn off the car, leave to go run inside the house for a quick minute, come out, and I'll still get that message when I try to boot up the car.

Reactions: GreenT
Interesting... I've gotten it more often in the past few weeks (4-5 times), with significant delay (20-30 secs). Typically I'd only see it every few months, and then for only 5-10seconds.

I've found that opening the door and/or lifting my butt out of the seat (to convince the car I've left), and then re-starting the process will often clear it more quickly.

I've also had more issues with my mobile app not being able to connect to the car during the same time period. I do wonder if there's some issue in the current firmware that makes the care sleep in a different state than usual...

(Incidentally I've toggled the power saving/remain connected setting on/off to see if I could reset the car's behavior, but to no avail)

Reactions: GreenT