Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Upset by 'test drive' through Burger King drive through?

Would you be upset if the Service group 'test drove' your car to the local Burger King?

• Yes

Votes: 87 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 61 41.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my brand new car right after Thanksgiving holiday. I know that the car arrived before the weekend. When I came to pick up Monday morning I was surprised to find it already had 45mi on the odometer. I can imagine that someone took it during the holiday weekend or it was used for test drives over the weekend.

Just confirmed in trip setting the variance was 40mi between odometer and tripmeter. On the vehicle transfer and reassignment form it shows 50 on the odometer but I think that's standard on all of them and gives them leeway to do as they please prior to handing over the keyfob. My last car (ICE) I bought new from the lot and it had less than 15mi on it and that's after I had taken a test drive. Who knows how many other test drives that's been on. One would think if you ordered your car, it would have less miles upon receipt.

I don't know if anyone knows how factory mode works but I assume it doesn't accumulate miles until they take it out of factory mode.
Similar questions were posted in other threads, no SC is authorized to let a prospective customer near a delivery vehicle, let alone test drive one, so for this concern I wouldn't worry too much. As far as the amount of miles on the odo. The large majority are usually accumulated at the factory under testing, whether on a Dyno or on the test track, few miles if any would be from a DS or SC tech during delivery prep.

Did everyone get a New car specs factory window sticker? The paper that all new cars have displayed on the car window or dash. Or did you get a printed out piece of paper that looks like one? Should it make a difference?

I'd be fine with them taking my car through Burger King for some lunch assuming it was part of the test drive and they didn't mess up anything, but it's reasonable that some people would not be okay with that, and they shouldn't do it. However, be careful to allow for the possibility that they may have just stopped and turned around at the Burger King, and not actually stopped for food. Hard to tell the difference.

Reactions: bhzmark
It's interesting that everyone assumes that fast food places do not have seating inside. Since I do not eat or drink while I drive, I sit inside to eat. Heck, I don't even text or use a cellphone while driving.

I don't understand why people are bothered by this. Techs take cars out for testing. If they pick up lunch while out, it seems like an efficient use of time. If they were trying to hide some nefarious activities, all they'd have to do is turn off connectivity.

I feel like I'm missing something, because clearly a lot of you think this is unacceptable.

Similar questions were posted in other threads, no SC is authorized to let a prospective customer near a delivery vehicle, let alone test drive one, so for this concern I wouldn't worry too much. As far as the amount of miles on the odo. The large majority are usually accumulated at the factory under testing, whether on a Dyno or on the test track, few miles if any would be from a DS or SC tech during delivery prep.
I understand a few miles but a variance of 40+ miles isn't a few. That's freeway speeds of at least half an hour. It isn't unheard of dealers taking new cars home. Anyway, I'm over it as there was no damage to the car and I haven't had an issue with it to this date.

I recently had my car serviced and I periodically checked the status in the app.

I noticed that the car was driving into a business not too far from the Service Center; curious to what it could be, I loaded up Maps and found out that it was the drive though at the local Burger King,

Would you be upset by this?
They often disable the Tesla App that allows you to see the car on your phone.:eek:

• Informative
Reactions: Mark Z
I don't understand why people are bothered by this. Techs take cars out for testing. If they pick up lunch while out, it seems like an efficient use of time. If they were trying to hide some nefarious activities, all they'd have to do is turn off connectivity.

I feel like I'm missing something, because clearly a lot of you think this is unacceptable.
I think it comes down to respecting the customer's property. Some people are anal about having food in their car let alone someone possibly eating in their car. I guess may think differently if they ate at the establishment. The tech's mistake is not turning off remote access. :rolleyes:

Reactions: X Fan
Well, since I told them the rattle in the dash seems worst when I go through the BK drive through then I'd hope they'd take the car there!

j/k ... don't much care. The local service guys have my trust. Your local service guys would need to prove themselves to me tho.

Reactions: MitchMitch
I think it comes down to respecting the customer's property. Some people are anal about having food in their car let alone someone possibly eating in their car. I guess may think differently if they ate at the establishment. The tech's mistake is not turning off remote access. :rolleyes:

Agree they should have turned off remote access. I just don't see picking up food while testing the car as a sign of disrespect. Obviously some do.

Did everyone get a New car specs factory window sticker? The paper that all new cars have displayed on the car window or dash. Or did you get a printed out piece of paper that looks like one? Should it make a difference?
They went out of their way to make sure we got the factory sticker (Monroney sticker), but it was not on the car and handed to us. I think by law everyone must get one and the original one at that. Should have been part of their delivery checklist.

BTW my car had 15 miles on it at the factory and the documentation was exactly that (transfer papers). I also believe that every mile your car gets driven, even before transfer and also on a dynamo, must be recorded. As soon it is assembled and the odometer is hooked up it's a car and every mile counts.

I think this has nothing to do with respect or not. It has to do with the right of the Tesla Model X owners' own perspective in things. Some people get mad because they hear someone across the room is chewing loudly when eating. Someone gets mad for talking while eating. Some people even get mad for strangers even touch their grass. In this case with the Model X, some people just don't like people use their car to bring food back and forth, let along eating in it. If we no longer possess the seven deadly sins and the world is a perfect world, no body would care. Unfortunately everyone born differently, raise differently, educated different, and treat each situation differently as well.

I already have a mirror tag to request no car wash at the SC. Maybe it's time to add this:

0ee8_35.JPG

Driving to somewhere, spending time there, and driving back is one thing.

Transporting food in someone's car is a different matter. And if it's a vegan's car it's even more of an issue.