Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
probably the air compressor turning on.
No. Just... no.

I did some research, and it's the blinker fluid warming up that causes the vibration as the heating coils in the headlights warm up. It's odd that the blinker fluid heating in the rear doesn't cause a vibration. Anyway, if you've ever wondered why your turn signals don't work for the first two minutes of driving, now you know why.

😈

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I have both vibrations. The start-up vibration for a few minutes is odd, but it does feel similar to the persistent vibration, but it's at lower speeds for me. I can feel the start-up vibration at around 25-35mph really easily, but that does go away after a few minutes, leaving me with just the ~37mph-50mph vibration all the time.
What about the vibration under hard acceleration?

No. Just... no.

I did some research, and it's the blinker fluid warming up that causes the vibration as the heating coils in the headlights warm up. It's odd that the blinker fluid heating in the rear doesn't cause a vibration. Anyway, if you've ever wondered why your turn signals don't work for the first two minutes of driving, now you know why.

😈
Can you point us to said research? Not heard this one before. In any case, how is blinker fluid being heated? My understanding is that the condenser is the sole source of heating and cooling so if it is warming of any fluid going on it is likely the sound of the condenser spinning up/vibrating to do the warming up. Somewhat like my old 2014 Chevy Volt running the ICE engine in very cold weather to warm the batteries and interior. :(

Can you point us to said research? Not heard this one before. In any case, how is blinker fluid being heated? My understanding is that the condenser is the sole source of heating and cooling so if it is warming of any fluid going on it is likely the sound of the condenser spinning up/vibrating to do the warming up. Somewhat like my old 2014 Chevy Volt running the ICE engine in very cold weather to warm the batteries and interior. :(
It was a joke.

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG
Update: One month and 775 miles after the new half shafts. Maybe the slightest tiny tiny hint of a vibration? But, you really have to search for it and definitely not something anyone should care about. I might also be confusing normal road vibrations. If it stays like this, I would call it solved.
Good news and thanks for update. Is this something we can ask our service center for?

I don't really know how. It was supposed to be an engineering prototype half shaft with tighter tolerances, but it still has the same part number. Hopefully there is a new part number soon.
Give it a few more weeks, and then report back, please. Remember, what's slight to one person can be annoying af to another person. Also, jeez, Tesla. Solve this already. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: FSDtester#1
My 2023 Model S Plaid has the 19" wheels with performance (not all season) Pirellis. I agree for most here it probably isn't the wheels/tires but those might have some minor impact (or those changing tires are just paying more attention afterward and noticing something that is not new)... Upon more driving and reading other posts I am just going to chalk this up to another Tesla-ism ... The startup vibration is annoying but sounds like not a "problem" and all just have to live with it... The other vibration at 45-65 also sounds like it is just "par" for the Tesla course. Not great, but since there's no one to talk to at Tesla without bringing the car in, probably not worth the hassle unless it gets worse...

My 2023 Model S Plaid has the 19" wheels with performance (not all season) Pirellis. I agree for most here it probably isn't the wheels/tires but those might have some minor impact (or those changing tires are just paying more attention afterward and noticing something that is not new)... Upon more driving and reading other posts I am just going to chalk this up to another Tesla-ism ... The startup vibration is annoying but sounds like not a "problem" and all just have to live with it... The other vibration at 45-65 also sounds like it is just "par" for the Tesla course. Not great, but since there's no one to talk to at Tesla without bringing the car in, probably not worth the hassle unless it gets worse...

There may be a fix, but it's only been on my car for 6 weeks now. I'll post up again in a few weeks if the fix is holding.

Otherwise, lowering the car is the only sure way to eliminate the vibration.

Reactions: af88