Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: When will FSD V12 be in wide release?

When will FSD V12 be in wide release?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgot to mention that within ten minutes of trying out the “fabulous” 12.3 on my Y today my wipers gave a quick swipe of the dry windshield. Sort of a middle finger to us suckers who purchased FSD and even consider that the YouTube prostitutes are being truthful for a change.
Hmmm, is it true that non-FSD owners/subscribers don't experience dry swiping? I thought all of us were having trouble with it since wipers must be on "auto" for TACC as well.

Reactions: SalisburySam
No, I'm on 2024.2.7 and just realized I can't downgrade. 😠 $199 learning lesson lol
Well, it's not all that bad. You'll get FSD 11.4.9. Same as I've got, since the 12.x magic fairy hasn't dipped its wand at me yet. (I'm kind of waiting around, seeing as the car's on 2023.44.30.8.)

And 11.4.9 is not to be sneezed at. I've used it commuting around NJ since it came out and have made several trips back and forth to the Boston area since the beginning of the year. The 11.4.9 stack is very good on highways (and is currently used on the 12.x releases for that purpose) and it's not half-bad on local roads. I'd guess at, what, 5 interventions in 10 miles, on average, when it does silly things. But with well-marked roads and nothing strange going on with crashed cars, cones in the middle of roads, and unprotected left turns on double-wide not-marked-well lanes, the car does OK. I've made it 30 miles or so with it changing lanes, making turns, and all that jazz.

One does have to supervise, local roads or not: FSD is still a beta. But it's not like the old days that, when one ponied up one's FSD payment, one might have to wait months for the FSD release load line to match up with the Everybody Else load line. Nowadays, one gets the FSD stuff right off.

Finally: If one hangs out on the FSD-b main thread, one will note that there's been Lots of Fun of the negative kind on both 12.2.1 and 12.3. At this time, it appears that Tesla is taking a slow, safety-first approach to this new software. My guess is that they're planning to go mainstream, non-beta. Based upon tweets from Elon and the development team, their rough guess is that they may be done in late April or early May. At which point, if you're still running FSD, you'll get the new, shiny stuff with all the bells and whistles as they upgrade the main release load line to whatever 12.x they'll have gotten up to.

Reactions: SidetrackedSue
Well, it's not all that bad. You'll get FSD 11.4.9. Same as I've got, since the 12.x magic fairy hasn't dipped its wand at me yet. (I'm kind of waiting around, seeing as the car's on 2023.44.30.8.)

And 11.4.9 is not to be sneezed at. I've used it commuting around NJ since it came out and have made several trips back and forth to the Boston area since the beginning of the year. The 11.4.9 stack is very good on highways (and is currently used on the 12.x releases for that purpose) and it's not half-bad on local roads. I'd guess at, what, 5 interventions in 10 miles, on average, when it does silly things. But with well-marked roads and nothing strange going on with crashed cars, cones in the middle of roads, and unprotected left turns on double-wide not-marked-well lanes, the car does OK. I've made it 30 miles or so with it changing lanes, making turns, and all that jazz.

One does have to supervise, local roads or not: FSD is still a beta. But it's not like the old days that, when one ponied up one's FSD payment, one might have to wait months for the FSD release load line to match up with the Everybody Else load line. Nowadays, one gets the FSD stuff right off.

Finally: If one hangs out on the FSD-b main thread, one will note that there's been Lots of Fun of the negative kind on both 12.2.1 and 12.3. At this time, it appears that Tesla is taking a slow, safety-first approach to this new software. My guess is that they're planning to go mainstream, non-beta. Based upon tweets from Elon and the development team, their rough guess is that they may be done in late April or early May. At which point, if you're still running FSD, you'll get the new, shiny stuff with all the bells and whistles as they upgrade the main release load line to whatever 12.x they'll have gotten up to.
I appreciate all the details. 11.4.9 has been pretty good—it drives like a student driver at times, but so far it's been working well. I've mostly used it on highways so far, figuring it was just safer overall for now.

Keep in mind v12 doesn't work on limited access highways (yet). It reverts to the v11.4.9 stack. So that would be the same.
I noticed yesterday that with V12.3, the highway stack (V11.X) now seems to prioritize minimum speed limit signs. I had 2 instances where there was the SL sign and the Minimum (lower) and it always chose the 40mph in a 70. It's always picked them when they were separate, which has always been annoying.

😠 $199 learning lesson lol
You will be among a relatively small cohort among the millions of tesla owners who experienced both the 'old' style FSDb and the NN developed FSDb! You will have a much better appreciation of the leap to NN having tested both in your daily driving and be able to tell stories to your grandkids of the "olden days" before NN trained AVs.

Most of the cars on Teslafi almost certainly do not have FSD, so are not a factor for 12.3.

I believe that nearly all cars that were on FSD at the end of the year are still on 2023.44.30.x and will be getting 12.3 very soon.

People who recently bought/subscribed to FSD will be on 2024.x and will need to wait for a future release.
My car has had FSD since 2017 and was receiving all updates until the 2024.2.7 font recall update. Unsure why that caused such a dramatic branch.

Spoke too soon! Installing now!
And took the first test drive with the thing. Nice. Overall, much safer and better driving than 11.4.9, but it still makes mistakes. And the speed limit setting stuff is definitely a work in progress.

Will be posting the semi-details on the main 12.x thread.

Just checked Teslafi after getting home. This morning, there were only 31 installs or something; now there's 541. Looks like the beginning of GA?