Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - which door do you actually prefer?

If other doors were available as a no cost option over the FW doors, which would you choose?

• Falcon Wing doors

Votes: 89 66.9%
  • Normally opening doors

Votes: 25 18.8%
  • Sliding doors

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • 'Suicide' doors

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I had to trade FWD's I would want features for arm rests, oh-S-handles and some attempt at minimal roof storage. But the FWD's to me are a real charm. My mom of >75 was able to snuggle in and sit down in the 2nd row. That was nice for her & she appreciated it.

Moot poll. FWD are integral to the design of the Model-X. Any vehicle without the FWD will not be a Model-X. Meaning, if Tesla ever sold a SUV of this size again without FWD, it would have to be a completely different vehicle (new design, new crash-testing, new name, etc.)

It would be equivalent to asking people if they preferred a 3-wheeled Model-X over a 4-wheeled version.

BTW, if you asked me a year ago, I would have said regular doors. Today, I'm not sure. I'm split 50/50. Tomorrow?

Reactions: Mike M
Moot poll. FWD are integral to the design of the Model-X. Any vehicle without the FWD will not be a Model-X. Meaning, if Tesla ever sold a SUV of this size again without FWD, it would have to be a completely different vehicle (new design, new crash-testing, new name, etc.)

It would be equivalent to asking people if they preferred a 3-wheeled Model-X over a 4-wheeled version.

BTW, if you asked me a year ago, I would have said regular doors. Today, I'm not sure. I'm split 50/50. Tomorrow?
Yeah, I understand
I'm not thinking exactly that, but instead who actually doesn't like these doors regardless of price and development time?

Does no one else have kids in car seats? We've found the Falcon Wing doors to be the ultimate in ease of use and function for this use case. Couldn't imagine anything better.

We do, and it's the main reason we replaced our minivan with the X. We thought it would be easier getting them in and out of the car. But after dealing with door not opening properly for 3+ months (and 3 sensor replacements), I can confidently say this door does not work as well as sliding door for us.

Reactions: Cowby
I have had a minivan for a decade when my kids were younger. And I have played with the X a few times in the show room and other places.
I simply cannot fathom what does the X doors solve that minivan doors don't.

I will take the word of X owners, but as someone who is very much interested in getting an X, I am not seeing it.

Reactions: BerTX and Cowby
Well, fingers crossed, we haven't had any problems with the doors so far. No sensor issues, no alignment issues. We'll see how that holds up over time.

The advantage over sliding minivan doors, in our experience:
1. Vertical clearance. You can access the kid's seats from overhead. This is a great back saver.
2. Rain cover. It rains a lot where we live. Having a built in umbrella overhead has been wonderful.
3. You don't have to drive a minivan. :)

I have had a minivan for a decade when my kids were younger. And I have played with the X a few times in the show room and other places.
I simply cannot fathom what does the X doors solve that minivan doors don't.

I will take the word of X owners, but as someone who is very much interested in getting an X, I am not seeing it.
You don't get rained on while you're busy strapping the kids into their car seats.

Reactions: madodel and Mike M
You don't get rained on while you're busy strapping the kids into their car seats.

I think that's only true if there is no wind together with rain. And what we have done when we had the minivan is put the kids in the car, close the door, and then finish strapping them into the seats. Completely protected from the weather since there is plenty of vertical rooms inside a minivan to allow us to do that.

I love our FWD's. Are there some downsides of not opening quite as much as I'd like in, for example, our garage? Yes. On the other hand there are benefits on ease of access, and yes, cool factor. The look on our teenage son's friends faces alone when I've picked him up from school and opened the FWDs was worth it.

I can't tell you how many times I've slammed my head on a door opening or even a minivan back door opening trying to get a kid in a car seat or get my elderly father in a seat and buckled in. Its actually wondrous for people who are older and have a hard time maneuvering. Its super easy for my dad to now get into the car from a walker without it taking 5 minutes for him to make his body fit a regular opening.

Reactions: EarlyAdopter
In general getting kids in/out of their carseats is the major selling point of the FWDs. However, I have 3 kids under 4 years old and a six seater MX. Trying to figure out the best way to get access to strap one of them in the back row while still having a place for the two in the middle row can sometimes be challenging