Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] Would you take a Bolt over an M3 in these situations?

What would it take you to take a bolt over your M3?

• I will take a Bolt if I like it when it comes out this year.

Votes: 17 6.0%
  • I will take a Bolt if M3 doesn't start deliveries summer 2017.

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • I will take a Bolt if M3 doesn't start deliveries December 2017.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • I will never take a Bolt over an M3.

Votes: 225 79.8%
  • I will take a Bolt if M3 misses on a promise (e.g. range, autopilot, pricing).

Votes: 41 14.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
None of the alternatives matches my case.

Yes, I will consider to get the Bolt/Ampera-e over Model 3, but does not yet know the outcome of this. The likelihood of me getting a Bolt/Ampera-e was raised when they proclaimed its range. But it may be lowered again after Unveiling#2. When I can see, touch and test-drive an Ampera-e, and know the price in NOK, and know what will be released about the Model 3 in the #2 unveiling, I may know better.

Yes, I do agree that it is not a nice looking car, but at least it is - in my opinion - better looking then i3 and some others... From what's known now it does seems like it will do most of the job it has to do. It got the range, it got the space, it got the hatch that I need/want. Yes, it does lacks the supercharger network, but I'm not driving past it's range that often (if the range holds up for winter driving!).

But it is telling that I was willing to pay a reservation on the Model 3 unseen. But I'm not willing to pay any reservation or anything else on the Ampera-e until after at least a test drive and reading some positive longtime tests including winter experiences in cold climates....

If the Model 3 is so much more expensive that I walk away, I still won't buy a Bolt. IMHO, it will be years before it comes to my part of the country in enough volume that the few dealers that actually carry it and a bit longer before they quit price gouging for it. GM's choice to compete on price and range with Tesla is going to be an interesting battle to watch.

If my Model 3 dream is crushed, the options are wider than buying the Bolt.

Warning: Possibly fanboyism.

I would be hard pressed to ever buy a GM car, let alone a CHEVY. I am very happy that the bolt is coming out because it means good things for EVs in general. But I'd never want one.

M3 or bust. I'm really hoping my wife will take my M3 reservation.

Reactions: Lem89
Nope,
I don't like the way it looks
I don't need a car right now (can't afford a new one now either)
The Bolt and the M3 are not really comparable, I see the M3 as being much more into the luxury category than the Bolt, and I want that not, a family box on wheels.

I don't mind the Bolt. I think it's somewhat brilliant, however, my problem is with GM. They have no problem helping themselves to Teslas open source patents to develop the Bolt, but instead of thanking Tesla, they (Mary Barra) bash them.

This is the first I have heard of this. I would be surprised if GM used Teslas patents because then their hands are tied for being able to patent the technology themselves. GM has a long history of in-house EV development (longer than Teslas, actually), so I am not sure why they would need Teslas patents.

First, I am older than dirt. I have owned at least fifteen cars, 95 percent foreign made like Volvo and Toyota. I currently own a Prius and a Tacoma. I joked about my Tundra that while it got poor gas mileage at least it was painted green, because we also wanted the best possible gas mileage with each car we purchased.
Since the seventies I have routinely refused to purchase American (US) cars. Before you attack me with your hate, be aware I enlisted in the US Army (during Vietnam) and worked my way up to retire as a senior officer. At that point I took a back seat to allow my wife and children to become all they wanted to become. Did you server or endure the personal attacks by your fellow citizens for having served? Then do not open your mouth. That includes academy ring knockers.
I have refused to purchase US made cars because my assessment of US made cars was that their quality and safety was marginally above poor. I also saw corruption in management. To be fair, I refused to buy BMW too. I refused to buy them due to poor quality and safety which had absolutely nothing to do with the labor assembling the product. BMW was just not worth the money. US Management made decisions to put limited quality parts in their cars and trucks. I cannot to this day get that taste out of my mouth. I have a masters in management and have probably more years experience in leadership and management than most CEOs dream about. Trying not to be crude. I had that experience by the age of twenty seven.
In 1993 one of the launchers I received, brand new, costing you (if you actually paid) tax payers over a million dollars per copy. Oh, I was the first commander to receive these launchers in Germany. Each of the nine launchers were inspected and tested before my men, a civilian crew and me. One launcher rocket cage as it was lifted and rotated into a firing position we found a half eaten fast food lunch. That told me that a quality control manager state side had piss poor respect for my soldiers and me. And total contempt for my fellow countrymen. Oh, I received with this unit the first GPS. You know what that is right? Mine at that time fit in the back of a jeep.
This is not about me. It is about my extremely bad rating of US car company's. While all cars regardless of origin of the company smell and look pretty when new; however, they are anything but equal. Tesla is a US auto maker, while not perfect, they strive to achieve perfection. All other car makers would be neck deep in lying about it not being their fault. Think back about every issue that has come to light ~ Tesla management has gotten out in front of the problem and fixed it. You are about to see that with auto pilot (AP) update this week I believe. Think back about the tire and SUV deaths that occurred in the eighties, how many family members died while these two manufacturers blamed each other. Oh, you were not born then. Or too stupid to remember? Or you just do not give a damn. Recently the Germans got caught with their hands in the cookie jar by lyin about emissions testing results. They were not the only ones either, just the biggest fish to fry. Oh, you were not born yesterday or forgot that minor detail?
Tesla has a proven track record of pushing the envelope to the bleeding edge, and yes it hurts some times, but Chevy would not be producing its electric car with its touted range if it was not because of Tesla. Chevy management and quite frankly most, if not all, automakers would not have touched electricity with a ten foot pole. No guts, no vision, no glory. Remember, Tesla has been ahead of the power curve when it comes to fixing problems or issues. Anyone can give up and go home, anyone. I do not reward incompetence with my money.
For the record, I have solar panels on my roof, I am retrofitting my home with sheathing, we own stock in Tesla and will wait until my Model III is available or I can convince my wife that somehow we can afford that Model X. I have offered to sell off the Prius, Tacoma and sell myself on the corner, but she just laughs. I think she is laughing about getting rid of the two cars for one, right? Please say yes.
Your choice, your decision ~ mine is the Model III. The last time I waited for something good to come my way I was twenty three ~ that was when I met my wife, forty three years ago. Remember the best things in life come to those who wait. My glass is usuall half full ~ except when I am thirsty ~ then I get up and refill it.

I'd take a Bolt or similar if Tesla really drops the ball on the 3. With that said, Tesla has offered more value than other manufacturers so far, and I think the gigafactory will continue that trend.

The only other issue is whether Tesla will build up their service network to the point where it's comparable with other manufacturers. They're getting there in terms of repairs, but their parts/service manual availability and cost is still far behind most other auto manufacturers.

I'd take a Bolt or similar if Tesla really drops the ball on the 3. With that said, Tesla has offered more value than other manufacturers so far, and I think the gigafactory will continue that trend.

The only other issue is whether Tesla will build up their service network to the point where it's comparable with other manufacturers. They're getting there in terms of repairs, but their parts/service manual availability and cost is still far behind most other auto manufacturers.
Once they get the manufacturing glitches figured out, there won't be much need for service centers. At least not to the level that regular manufacturers have.

Reactions: Red Sage
I can't help but laugh at the implication by this poll that Dec 2017 is the latest anyone would have to wait for a Model 3. Hell, I doubt even many of the people who waited in line for a reservation will have a Model 3 by then.

It'll be much longer than that before the average John Q. Public will be able to have a Model 3 in his garage. And that's even if Tesla meets their VERY aggressive production targets, which is far from certain.

I can't help but laugh at the implication by this poll that Dec 2017 is the latest anyone would have to wait for a Model 3. Hell, I doubt even many of the people who waited in line for a reservation will have a Model 3 by then.

It'll be much longer than that before the average John Q. Public will be able to have a Model 3 in his garage. And that's even if Tesla meets their VERY aggressive production targets, which is far from certain.

Hmm.... I posted a bit too fast after misreading some of the poll options, and no way to edit(?is that right?).

Anyway... to rephrase... even if deliveries start in 2017, the actual time when a buyer could expect to receive a Model 3 will depend on lots of variables. If the buyer doesn't have a reservation, or has a relatively late reservation, or if production ramp-up is slower than expected, or demand increases after Reveal #2.... all could add up to a prospective buyer not being able to purchase a Model 3 until 2019, 2020, or later. That could be an important factor.

No, and it is not even close to being a M3. From everything I have read is that it will be a slower, uglier and well below the base M3. Not only is it stripped down it is not upgradable when new tech such as batteries when they come out! it will have a rear camera mirror (upgrade price), OTA updates and that is about it.

When the used market hits $8-12k in a few years I would consider it as an extra vehicle.

Reactions: Red Sage
I have a good car in my current Toyota hybrid and for my next car, I want an upgrade in every aspect i.e. better looking, roomier, better performance, better handling, lesser emissions, better comfort, reduced road noise, better highway ability and it has to make financial sense. Model 3 fits my requirement perfectly. The Bolt will be a backward move.

Last edited:
Or they were just using a platform that already existed and shoved the EV guts into it.

I don't know why people keep saying it's ugly. It's not a bad looking car. I'd buy it if there was a charging network comparable to Tesla's for it. Or better than Tesla's, since Tesla doesn't have any Superchargers within driving range of any Tesla to me.
The point is that the BOLT looks nowhere near as good as a CRUZE, MALIBU, or CORVETTE. What would have been wrong with making it look like a refreshed FIERO, then hanging a CHEVETTE badge on it instead? C'mon, MAN!

• Funny
Reactions: gavine